Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Scale Model Aircraft

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Oh, boy. This brings back fond memories. The first model I ever built was a Revell B-24. It came out a little funny, because, being 8 years old at the time, I didn't bother looking at the instructions.
One of my favorites from my early years was a huge B-29, I think by Monogram. I saw several examples of the kit, and it had a problem of not all the parts being completely formed. But it was an amazing model.
When I was a kid there were a lot of those little Lindberg Line models at all the hobby shops. They often had parts that didn't quite fit. And being a young dummy, I didn't appreciate the cool old classic planes that were represented, like the Mooney Mite and other Thompson Trophy Race era planes. Boy do I wish I had some of them today.
I built the sistership to the Spit, the Monogram Hurricane. Probably the best modeling job I ever did. I was definitely not one of those great craftsmen. My planes always came out a little crooked, or with a couple glue globules somewhere. [huh]
I've also built that P-61, great plane, great kit.
For a while I wanted to collect WW II planes in 1/48th, and also to specialize in between the wars biplanes in 1/72nd. Something about 1/72 that lends itself to biplanes.
I have a box with several unbuilt kits, both plastic and wood, that have been waiting about 20 years or more now for me to complete them. Just can't bring myself to get rid of them.
Thanks so much for sharing these, guys! Very inspiring!

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Now that's a model you just don't see every day. You did a fantastic job on that. A lot of folks don't really know how big one of those is. The real deal is about as big as a B 25 but it's still designated as a fighter. You're right about the glue joints. Just about every kit I've put together has a number of problems. The thing about modeling is that's the usual thing. Some kits are just worse than others and that's what makes them more fun and challenging (up to a point). It looks like you handled that problem very well.

Like a few squadronmates, perhaps?

Have the same kit on my bench. I love that bird: at once sinister and refined, insane firepower... let's just say that when I was writing some fiction that saw a borderline-homicidal Artificial Intelligence and its creator sent back through time to WWII, there's a good reason I chose a hotrodded P-61 for that computer's new "host body".

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Well done Kiltie, looks a treat.

If you're starting back with modelling, keep at it, that's a bloody good effort for someone getting back into the hobby.

In terms of seams, sandpaper and filler are your friends. 400 grit is probably the most useful I find for most general work and then 600 and 800 for finishing prior to paint. Make sure you buy some good putty/filler like Squadron White. The great thing with this stuff is you can mask either side of the seam to be filled, apply the filler to the gap/seam, remove the masking tape, and then wipe a cuttonbud (which has been dipped in nail polish remover - this has to be one of the formulations that contains acetone) over the filled join. Virtually no need to sand, the soaked cottonbud will perfectly smooth the filler into the gap and level it flush with the edges of the gap. ;)

kiltie

Practically Family
Smithy: Thanks so much for the advice. I'll definately get some filler before the next go round. Using Scotch tape ( or Scotch and tape, depending on the hour I was working ) to mask the gaps was frustrating, at best.

Dback: Was it you who told me about the P-61s and "The Great Raid" some time back? About how they had to use different planes in the movie, but actually it was P-61s that flew the diversion...

According to the notes with this kit, "Time's A Wastin'" downed four Japanese in one night!

kiltie

Practically Family
Very cool, Diamondback.
Few things more entrancing than flying at that time and all that it includes; the machines, the men...

Back on the model tack -
I'm re-reading Ford's Flying Tigers book and just getting into Sharks Over China ( USAAF CBI ) so I'm kinda primed to do a P-40. I'll be right by the Pacific War Museum Saturday, and I'll be happy to give them my money at the gift shop.

I may also be biased because of the fact that a former commander of the 9th SRW at Beale (yes, you might say "Boss of the Blackbirds") once said that if he had to pick a flying job for someone with my miswired, light-sensitive eyes (even with nearsightedness that in today's Air Force wouldn't let me fly even as a loadmaster), he would've assigned me to a Black Widow and designating a specific "No Fly Zone" with me having orders to "if it's in that box and it flies, you kill it". 'Course, Radar would have to be up front and with the scope under a hood so the lights on the screen couldn't interfere with my own optical targeting...

You might find Osprey's volume on AVG colors and markings helpful, also.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
When I was a kid there were a lot of those little Lindberg Line models at all the hobby shops. They often had parts that didn't quite fit. And being a young dummy, I didn't appreciate the cool old classic planes that were represented, like the Mooney Mite and other Thompson Trophy Race era planes. Boy do I wish I had some of them today.

They are pretty rare in the old Lindberg boxes, I have a full set of them in the early Lindberg boxes, made just after they changed the name of the company from Olin. (Olsen & Lindberg) I also have the private aircraft like the SeaBee, Ercoupe, Navion, Bonanza, and Cub, from Lindberg.

They were still being pressed until a few years ago for a company in Mexico called Pegaso, you can find those cheaper than the old original boxes.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Thanks Dixon.

I keep them under a plexi case.

Dixon Cannon said:
RF, how many years have you got tied up in that fleet? Nice work!... how do you display them without collecting dust like mine!?

-dixon cannon

Beautiful Black Widow, Kiltie!

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
kiltie said:
Very cool, Diamondback.
Few things more entrancing than flying at that time and all that it includes; the machines, the men...

Back on the model tack -
I'm re-reading Ford's Flying Tigers book and just getting into Sharks Over China ( USAAF CBI ) so I'm kinda primed to do a P-40. I'll be right by the Pacific War Museum Saturday, and I'll be happy to give them my money at the gift shop.

That's a bad combination, kiltie. A rekindled interest in modeling, an aircraft museum and a gift shop can lead to trouble and financial ruin. I recently got back into aircraft modeling, I live close enough to the Air Force Museum in Dayton and they have a world class gift shop. I'm just about broke. It's a disease that takes over the body, the mind and the purse. There is no cure. The signs of this condition are the smell of paint, glue and decals emanating from the body, telltale signs of olive drab, silver and blue under the nails, fingers stuck together with Crazy Glue,and shelves full of aircraft models. Hi. My name is Jeff and I'm --- a modeling addict. :eek: :p lol

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Having moved country several times over the last few years I've had to thin my modelling stash but the bug never goes away, I've started buying kits again even after thinking I'd cut my current inventory down to what I needed.

What's really worrying is when you start buying several of exactly the same kit. And yes that would be me :eusa_doh:

Smithy said:
What's really worrying is when you start buying several of exactly the same kit. And yes that would be me :eusa_doh:
*raises hand* BTDT--yeah, I know the old 1/72 Monogram B-52D isn't the best kit in modeling history, but I just can't get enough of those big birds... well, at least until I have enough to model an ARC LIGHT strike plane-for-plane. (2 cells, 3 aircraft each.)

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
The '52 was a decent kit in it's day, a local hobby shop had a Monogram factory built kit on display for many years with the operating 'jet sound".

I wanted one, but never had the space to display one properly, so I'd end up with a 60 cent Hawk Komet with the orange plastic flame.

I did a little surgery to convert mine to "in-flight", then hung it beneath an AMT KC-135 in "precontact position". Don't ask me to explain why a '90s "Shamu"-scheme tanker is refueling a '70s SEA-scheme BUFF!

In model terms, the guy who I bought the '52 from had lost the "SAC nuclear scheme" decals, so I was stuck with SEA, and hand-painting the walkway stripes on that 135's SAC tanker-gray without a template was more than I was up for. Both of 'em actually have made great armatures to hang smaller models from too...

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Smithy said:
Having moved country several times over the last few years I've had to thin my modelling stash but the bug never goes away, I've started buying kits again even after thinking I'd cut my current inventory down to what I needed.

See!!!! I told you so. I have the disease too.

kiltie

Practically Family
I picked up a 1:48 P-40 and I'm starting tonight: Hell's Angels. I don't have an airbrush, so it's a bit ham handed on the cammo. It doesn't look to be the world's most complicated kit, but I think with the P-61 I've found that it's the painting detail I like best.
As to multiple same kits, I had actually started that Black Widow and decided I needed to jump in with both feet instead of just horsing around. So there's already two of those in the house: the one I posted and the one I did a sort of dry run on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21