Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Scale Model Aircraft

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Here's the thread I said I'd start. I've been building model WWII USAAF aircraft for a good number of years. I made a search but I couldn't find any thread worth tagging on to so here goes. This is a 1/24 scale P 47D Thunderbolt I'm building. It's going to have a natural metal finish and markings for the 78th Fighter Group as shown by the checkerboard cowling. I've finished the engine and the cockpit. the fusliage and the tail have been glued but not finished. I had to add some plastic to close up some panel lines so they won't look so wide. I'm also sanding down some filler. Let's see what some of you are or have been building..

DSC00101.jpg

DSC00112-1.jpg

DSC00118-1.jpg

DSC00125.jpg

This thing will have a 2 foot wingspan when I get it done.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very nice, indeed! I envy you - I make 1:48 scale and think I do a pretty good job......until I see work like this! I keep striving for that kind of perfection.

-dixon 'glue fingers' cannon

rumblefish

One Too Many
Dixon Cannon said:
I envy you - I make 1:48 scale and think I do a pretty good job......until I see work like this!

I was thinking the same thing. I wanted to start a thread to show off the 1:72 scale WW I aircraft I've built...
Not any more.:eek:

Beautiful job! Excellent work with the colors!
As we used to say of my father; Looks like you could pick the fly poop out of pepper with boxing gloves on.

Here's some of mine;
DSC00785.jpg
DSC00784.jpg
DSC00786.jpg
DSC00787.jpg

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Thanks for the kind words.

Dixon, never worry about what anyone else is doing. If you're happy with what you're doing and you're proud of the collection then nothing else matters. You can actually go overboard with the superdetailing to the point where it makes you go nuts. The models may look great, but ultradetailing is a first class, powerhouse of a burnout agent. I speak from experience. I used to detail even more than this. I finally asked myself who I was building for. When I realized it was for myself and no one else, I eased up and started to enjoy the hobby again.

Rumblefish, those models really look great. You have a good varied collection. If you really like WWI aircraft, there are a few of them in large scale of 1/16 and 1/8. If you go to www.largescaleplanes.com , you can see a few made by the Hasegawa compant. They're made of wood and are exquisite. Also look up this guy on Google. His name is Ken Foran and he's one of the world's foremost experts on WWI model aircraft if not the foremost itself. All his work is totally scratchbuilt. He's mega heads and feet over me and is one of the best brass men I've seen. He's also one of the nicest guys you'll ever see on the net.

Dixon Cannon

Ok, here we go....

This is my humble entry; The Memphis Belle 1:48 scale.
Now imagine a gray day at Bassingborn, and all that dust is a really a light dusting of snow, Ok? Also, the bomb bay
doors are ajar as there is a battery pack up there that drives the four electric motors installed in each nacelle. When
the batteries aren't dead (as they usually are!) they drive each motor with a realistic purr. Only thing missing: the
blue grey smoke from the engine oil!

B-17FFlyingFortress.jpg

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Very nice!! you did a great job on that. Is that the big Monogram model? I've been looking for that one to build another 100th BG B17. I have the original B17G model Chow Hound from Monogram which I'll be building in the same configuration as my screen namesake, Silver Dollar. It will have a natural metal with the same noseart as my avatar. I have no idea where I'll display it yet but it's gonna get built. :eusa_doh:

Nice, Dix! If you were to start a new build, it might be possible to rig the bird with Seuthe or similar smoke-generators lifted from us model-railroaders...

I have a whole bunch of aircraft on the workbench, if I can ever get back to 'em, but they're really tiny--to fit the aircraft carriers they came with. (I'm something of a Carrier Freak, before I had to quit building I wanted to put a model of every USN fleet carrier ever built--not including the "jeep carriers" except maybe the Sangamon/Commencement Bay oiler-conversions that were really light fleet carriers in all but speed and armor--and all of the major Japanese carriers on my display-case's shelves.)

Dixon Cannon

Silver Dollar said:
Very nice!! you did a great job on that. Is that the big Monogram model? I've been looking for that one to build another 100th BG B17. I have the original B17G model Chow Hound from Monogram which I'll be building in the same configuration as my screen namesake, Silver Dollar. It will have a natural metal with the same noseart as my avatar. I have no idea where I'll display it yet but it's gonna get built. :eusa_doh:

Hi SD; Yes, I believe this is the Monogram kit - it's been so long, I don't quite remember, but that seems right - 1/48th. I also have the 'G' model by Monogram with the complete interior. Words of caution on the instruction sheet: "Remember - much of the detail work on interior features will be out of view once model is completed". I haven't started construction on that big beast yet, as I know I will get bogged down in the details of each station on the ship, just as it warns against! This Monogram kit is "El Lobo".

I want to do the 'G' up as 'Sentimental Journey', in which I've ridden twice. I hope to use the metalic (bare metal) paint for the first time on this one and try my hand at a 'wash'. I never seem to have the time necessary to start such a project as I want to dedicate myself to it and get it done. Maybe in my next life!!!..(LOL).

After that one comes a 1/24th P-51 by AIRFIX - again with lots of detail.

Here is a great B-17 kit site: http://www.swannysmodels.com/B17G.html

-dixon cannon

Dixon Cannon

rumblefish said:
I was thinking the same thing. I wanted to start a thread to show off the 1:72 scale WW I aircraft I've built...
Not any more.:eek:

Beautiful job! Excellent work with the colors!
As we used to say of my father; Looks like you could pick the fly poop out of pepper with boxing gloves on.

Here's some of mine;
DSC00785.jpg
DSC00784.jpg
DSC00786.jpg
DSC00787.jpg

RF, how many years have you got tied up in that fleet? Nice work!... how do you display them without collecting dust like mine!?

-dixon cannon

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Another scale aircraft modeller here. I got back into it in 2001, although I made (and blew up a lot with fire crackers!) as a kid. My father made me a lot and I had them hanging over my bed from the ceiling by fishing line.

Now I build 1/72 and 1/48 WWII, mostly RAF and also Norwegian and NZ squadrons with the RAF. I also do some interwar RAF subjects and some other things.

To be honest modelling isn't my only hobby and so I'm a bit of an erratic modeller. I hadn't done anything for 2 years up until this past week (but I'll blame that on moving countries ;) ) and I tend (like I suppose a lot of modellers) to do more over winter.

Sadly I don't have many of the models I have made in my possession. I've moved countries a lot over the last few years (Norway twice, NZ twice, Chile once and now Oz) and so I've given things away to family and friends.

On the workbench (or more accurately stuffed away in boxes in various stages of completion) at the moment are: Academy 1/72 Hawker Tempest V; Lindberg 1/48 Hawker Fury biplane; Fujimi 1/72 A-4E which I'm converting to an RNZAF A-4K Kahu; Classic Airframes 1/48 ragwing Hurricane.

I posted some pics of my last one, a 1/48 Hasegawa Hurricane here:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=997600&postcount=28

and here's a couple of pics of my one before that, a Hasegawa 1/72 Spitfire IXc in the markings of top scoring Norwegian ace, Svein Heglund:

01-1.jpg

02-1.jpg

04.jpg

And here is the Lindberg 1/48 Hawker Fury which I also have on the go. The decals weren't made for this kit so I have a lot of tidying up to do before I can attach the top wing:

Fury1-1.jpg

Hopefully I'll have the Tempest finished in a couple of weeks and can post pics.

Looking forward to seeing everybody's builds!

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Great work on that Spitfire. I've got the same aircraft in 1/32 scale from Pacific Coast Models. I don't know when I'll build it but now I have some nice inspiration. Normally, I only build WWII American aircraft. For some reason, I just had to buy a Spitfire and build it. It just kept calling out to me.:)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Silver Dollar!

Diamondback said:
Actually, USAAF did have some photorecon Spitfires, usually finished in overall RAF PRU Blue. That might give you some possibilities for keeping it within your American theme...

Don't forget that the USAAF used not only PR Spits. The Eagles transferred over to the USAAF with their Vbs and used them until P-47s were taken into service. And the 31st FG in the MTO used Vs, VIIIs and IXs.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Thanks guys for the great info. The American use of Spitfires is exactly what I was going to do. I know the IX's are too late but if a conversion isn't too difficult, I wanted to try one with Eagle Squadron markings. I do have the special decals and can also do one from the 31st FG. You just can't beat the lines on a Spitfire.

There was also an ad hoc Navy observation squadron formed specifically for the D-Day landings that used borrowed RAF Spitfires. Their mission was to act as spotters for the battleships providing fire support.

kiltie

Practically Family
P-61: My First Model...

...in a long time. I remember my dad putting one like this together many moons ago. I really gave this one the old college try, and I think it came out alright, considering. I sanded and trimmed and so on, but some of the joints just didn't jibe. I ended up having to modify some of the seams with tape, then painting, particularly on the canopy.

IMG_1397.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/IMG_1398.jpg

This is the Revell 1:48. It has a little history included about a plane called "Time's A'Wastin'" with Snuffy Smith nose art and enough parts and instructions for both the A and B versions ( paint schemes, etc...). I cribbed markings from pictures of other P-61s ( the red cooling flaps, etc...) and used the alternate nose art.
It came with a few guys for a ground crew, so I'm trying to decide if I want to do a little diorama or something. I've only been able to find one picture of the Black Widow on the ground in a "period setting" so I'm not sure how I want to set it up.

All of the stuff above looks very inspiring. Great job, everyone! Love the Memphis Belle, and the P-47 looks like it's gonna be a gem ( and much too daunting for me...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran