Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Snapshots - Moments in Time

I wanted to share these snapshots I just picked up. I don't know who any of the people are, and there are no notes on the backs, so I gave them some titles myself. I fell in love with them when I saw them and the feelings they elicit.

"United We Stand"

UnitedWeStand.jpg

"Shoo Shoo Baby"

(reminds me of the song...)

ShooShooBaby.jpg

And this one is so poignant...

"Ill Be Seeing You"

(one of the most popular songs during the war and no wonder...)

Check out the decorative border!

IllBeSeeingYou.jpg

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Thanks for sharing the pictures. I too have a way of dreaming about unknown people in some of the pictures I collect.

That sailor's uniform looks just like one from WWII I recently picked up at an antique store.

Over and out...

pamina

Familiar Face
that's the problem. most people think of fucki** krauts when they hear something about germany or austria, but they were just soldiers and did what they were told to do ...

my grandfather didn't like hitler or the war and fighting for the country ... i mean, he was fighting for germany, but he was austrian ! they connected austria to germany ... he didn't like it ...

Hondo

One Too Many
pamina said:
that's the problem. most people think of fucki** krauts when they hear something about germany or austria, but they were just soldiers and did what they were told to do ...

my grandfather didn't like hitler or the war and fighting for the country ... i mean, he was fighting for germany, but he was austrian ! they connected austria to germany ... he didn't like it ...

It was a war, not to worry, still cool pictures, Thanks for sharing :)

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Hab kein angst alles is gute. I don't think Americans hold a disdain for the Axis forces anymore. Yes there were criminals but the average "Joes" just did what they were told. One has to know an 18-19 year old mentality it's all about adventure. As far as the "F" 'n Germans soldiers go, when I re-enacted
the Germans outnumbered us 2-1 ! Every one wanted to be a Kraut because they had some cool stuff. Some re-enactors will tell you it's still true today. There should be no shame.

pamina

Familiar Face
lool =9)

i think the austrian uniforms look close to the us army uniforms. don't you think?

2ajb6u1.jpg

excapt of the helmets. by the way - this is my grand-uncle ( ?the uncle ofmy dad.^^i loved him. ^^ )
1914ex.jpg

Bernard Newman

New in Town
Nice photos! I'm trying to organise some pictures of my grandmothers brothers. By the way pamina, they were from Styria too, strictly speaking from the Leoben area. (Oh, und es ist toll, dass es mehr Österreicher hier gibt;) )

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, my mother was from Austria and she was a nurse in WWII. I need to find those pictures I once saw of her with some German soldiers and scan and post them.

Here is one of her (On the left) in her nurse's uniform. Sorry, it's a little blurry, I don't have a scanner so I just took a picture of the picture with my digital camera.

Maria194205.jpg

My father was English, so I got a perspective from both sides of WWII when I was growing up.

pamina

Familiar Face
Bernard Newman said:
Nice photos! I'm trying to organise some pictures of my grandmothers brothers. By the way pamina, they were from Styria too, strictly speaking from the Leoben area. (Oh, und es ist toll, dass es mehr Österreicher hier gibt;) )

Ich dachte schon, ich bin die einzige hier... ^^

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I love all these pics, both German and American. Fascinating stuff!

What's really unfortunate is when you find pictures like these in antique stores, etc. So sad that no one in the family wanted them or no one is left from the family to give them a home.

pamina

Familiar Face
what really sad is, is that my father is 58 and so he can remember most people on our pictures, but those people on the really old pictures he does'nt know any more. maybe he was child when these pictures were taken or he wasn't born at this time.
it makes me feel bad, when he looks at some really old pictures on which my grandfather was in his early 20s and he knows the names of his friends, saying something like "oh, i remember, that was XY ... he died 30 years ago ..." most people on these pictures are dead. so i began to ask my dad what their names were and i wrote it on the back of the pictures. in 30 or 40 years i can tell my children or grandchildren who are on those pictures, even if i didn't know them.
it's very strange to look on some pictures with goodlooking soldiers on it. i know most of them but now they are really old people ... ^^

Story

I'll Lock Up
Some of the best fiction is inspired by things like this...

Don't know their stories? Make them up. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner