Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You Big Softy! - Your Favourite Soft Drinks

swinggal

One Too Many
Well, was a little place in Highland Park near where my friend lives. I realise it's a Peruvian Cola (being 'Inca' cola and all) so it could have been a Peruvian cafe. Inca Cola tastes a lot like creaming soda here in Oz.

Was this one:

IncaKola6.jpg

swinggal

One Too Many
I also love Chinotto (Italian cola) which you will find served in any Italian resturant or cafe that is worth anything in Australia. Most cafes in general have it here. BIG Italian community Oz. It's prolific anywhere you go in Italy as well. It is made from Chinotto fruit which is bitter, so it gives the drink a bitter-sweet taste - which I love. It's still sweet, but not like Coke. San Pellegrino is the brand that is the best and it has a distinctive bottle.

I almost always order Chinotto when I go to a cafe but I found that Italian places in the US didn't have it which was odd. It's so refreshing and i always wish the bottles were bigger :)

SanPellChinotto.jpg

I love the same brand with Aranciata Rossa (Blood Orange) delicious

1380199824_da63697446.jpg

Big_e

Practically Family
swinggal said:
Well, was a little place in Highland Park near where my friend lives. I realise it's a Peruvian Cola (being 'Inca' cola and all) so it could have been a Peruvian cafe. Inca Cola tastes a lot like creaming soda here in Oz.

Was this one:

IncaKola6.jpg

Well, what you do is, go in, barrel up to the counter and ask for an iced Chicha Morada (see post #176). If they give you a blank stare then it won't be a peruvian cafe. If they serve you up a glass, you will be a regular fan!;)
Ernest

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
swinggal said:
I also love Chinotto (Italian cola) which you will find served in any Italian resturant or cafe that is worth anything in Australia. Most cafes in general have it here. BIG Italian community Oz. It's prolific anywhere you go in Italy as well. It is made from Chinotto fruit which is bitter, so it gives the drink a bitter-sweet taste - which I love. It's still sweet, but not like Coke. San Pellegrino is the brand that is the best and it has a distinctive bottle.

I almost always order Chinotto when I go to a cafe but I found that Italian places in the US didn't have it which was odd. It's so refreshing and i always wish the bottles were bigger :)

SanPellChinotto.jpg

I love the same brand with Aranciata Rossa (Blood Orange) delicious

1380199824_da63697446.jpg

Luckily, we get the Chinotto 'round here in a can - more yumminess. I also really like the Limonata, which is beautifully tart and sweet, and the Orange. I've never seen the Blood Orange version. I'll definitely be scanning the Italian delis for that one!

swinggal

One Too Many
I always have Chinotto in my fridge. I find it so refreshing. We have it in a can too but I prefer the SanPellegrino over all other brands I've tried. The Limonata is indeed lovely too.

DerMann

Practically Family
Coca+Cola_1665_19554832_0_0_7003816_300.jpg

Nothing better than a frosty glass of Coke in the summer time. Even with all the gourmet and independent sodas I've tried, nothing has effectively topped Coke. Has been, and always will be, number one in my heart.

When Christmas rolls around, I swear they change the formula a tad. Supposedly they use cane sugar to make it kosher, but I've never really bothered to check. Whatever it is, Christmas Coke is always so delicious.

Of course, Mexican Coke (no, not the kind that the cartels are shooting people for) is always made with cane sugar and often sold in glass bottles (as they should be). Nothing like a rum and coke (well, Cuba libres are better) with proper Coke on a hot, sandy beach.

ThumsUp.JPG

My favourite esoteric cola has to be Thums Up. It's primarily sold in India, but the Indian market in my town stocks the bottles, and at $1.50 it's a great deal. It has a very robust taste. First you taste the somewhat over-the-top cola taste, but as you drink, you taste hints of spices and what not. Very interesting cola. I could swear it almost tastes like it has a bit of curry powder or something of the sort mixed in.

If you can find it, it's definitely worth it.

**EDIT**

As a Texan, I feel I must mention this:

bigred.jpg

That's right, Big Red. Possibly my favourite cream soda. Big Red has a bit more carbonation and isn't as sweet as most cream sodas, so it's a nice break. If you, however, prefer a smoother cream soda, Big Blue is much smoother and a bit sweeter. Their latest creation, Big Pineapple, takes the ambrosia which is pineapple soda, and makes it into more of a cream soda - possibly one of the sweetest, most delicious soft drinks on the planet. I don't drink it very often, as it is very sweet, but it's a grand soda.

swinggal

One Too Many
Coke with cane sugar is way better. Used to always be made that way in the US. Never been made with anything but here in Australia. Corn syrup in ANYTHING is bad.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Depending on my mood, I either prefer Coca-Cola (from Mexico, or the kind with real sugar and not HFCS anyway), or a good Ginger Beer. There is a local coffee shop here that sells Ginger Beer but it's not a brand I'm familiar with, and I can't (for the life of me) remember what it is.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Just for the taste of it - and why not?

As it is Wimbledon week and as it is a cooling soft drink, I shall share this:

[YOUTUBE] <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5LWj1Yv3MM0&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5LWj1Yv3MM0&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
[/YOUTUBE]

Unca Dusty

Familiar Face
Derek WC said:
In my opinion, you have not lived until you have had an ice cold bottle of Virgil's Real Cola.

RealCola.jpg

I like Virgil's quite a bit, but actually like IBC a little better better. I do love an ice cold root beer for a soft drink.

My favorite nonalcoholic beverage is iced tea, unsweetened, over ice. In late summer when my concord grapes are ripe, I juice them and mix the juice with club soda for my own home-made soft drink. The color is not attractive (like I got the liquid out of a pot-hole) but it is the best grape soda I've ever had.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nick D said:
Sounds like Vernors. It's not common outside Michigan and a few other areas, it's one of the things I drink too much of when I visit home.

HI, Vernor's is my favorite Ginger Ale, it makes Canada Dry's look bad in comparison. I bought it to have with Rye Whiskey, but drink almost as much by itself now.

later

The Good

Call Me a Cab
These days, I almost exclusively drink Coca Cola (unfortunately in many cases, it's the high fructose corn syrup one), with the exceptions being other non-diet sodas like Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew, 7up, etc... and even so, I rarely drink soda. It's mainly just water for me.

I do have a hankering to try myself a glass or can of Mexican, Kosher, or just real cane sugar Coca Cola, though.

HepKitty

One Too Many
italian lemonade
mint limeade (have to make both of these but it's worth the effort)
some brand of ginger ale from Jackson WY don't remember the name
cream soda and orange cream soda (though I try to avoid carbonated drinks)
vitamin water (if I buy anything bottled, it's usually this)
milk with ovaltine, dark chocolate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana