Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You Big Softy! - Your Favourite Soft Drinks

texasgirl

One Too Many
Schweppes Limited Edition

These are pretty cool

http://www.theurbangrocer.com/2010/01/18/schweppes-limited-edition/

Schweppes-limited-edition-beverages.jpg

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
texasgirl said:

These are very nice.
The only person I know that drinks tonic water on a regular basis is my Dad. Although I've been known to finish off the remains of a bottle.

I think the best Tonic Water to drink on its own is Fentiman's although it is tricky ground for this thread as it has a residual 0.5%ABV strength from manufacture.

That got me thinking (and that is never a good thing). Is there a difference between tonic water & soda water? If so, what is it? Thanx!!! Charlie

Tonic water has quinine in it a bitter botanical that I recall comes from the treatment of malaria. It was found as an interesting mixer and from there you have gin and tonic or the vodka version. Those usually get a squeeze of lime and the wedge of lime.

Soda water aka club soda is simply that a plain carbonated water although some had a little salt in them too. It's used as a fizzy water for whiskey, brandy or to liven up some mixed drinks. The carbonation makes the water slightly acidic so it tastes sharper than plain water.

clubwitsend

Practically Family
oh my god! I want those Schweppe's bottles! I wish there were a list of the bars/cafes that carry them! Maybe being in NYC I'll have some luck since we have so many yutzy cafes... :)

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Ethan Bentley said:
I remember the first time I had a particular brand of ginger ale it was so fizzy that I couldn't take a sip without sneezing - very strange.

Sounds like Vernors. It's not common outside Michigan and a few other areas, it's one of the things I drink too much of when I visit home.

Besides Vernors, I love a Coke. I really try to limit how much pop I drink nowadays, though, to help lose weight.

I love a good cream soda or root beer, but my soft drink of choice is Diet Coke. I started drinking diet soft drinks about 30 years ago in an attempt to lose some weight (which didn't work) and got so accumstomed to drinking them that "regularly sweetened" soft drinks now taste like pure sugar...blecch.

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
zombie_61 - I believe what you are tasting is HFCS. Look out for the Kosher for Passover Coke/mexican coke or other cane sugar sweetened soda and you will be amazed at the difference!

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
I often take regular sodas and blend in some plain water or club soda to bring down the super sweet ones to tolerable levels.

AH yes I know people that do that or leave it go flat then drink it. That was my Nan's cure for an upset stomach - flat lemonade.

I have recently discovered the joys of chocolate sodas :D

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
One of the things I miss about NJ is the birch beer. Can't get it out here without a lot of help and expense. Nothing better than red birch beer and some greasy hot dog with extra sauerkraut. :eusa_clap

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
I have to add a second to the least-heard-of soda ever: McDaid's Football Special... it's the Donegal water that makes it so yummy! :eusa_clap

It's kind of like a Big Red, but better.

But back at home, I once splurged on some Cricket's Green Tea soda. I'm saving up for more!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24