Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know that summer really IS over when...

The Shirt

Practically Family
speaking of dogs

When the elkhound doesn't pass out and refuse to move on block one of our nightly walk from heat exhaustion.

When our weekend plans revolve around, where should we take the '59 corvette convertible to see the leaves change while I'm wrapped up like a mummy.

When I make sure I have an adequate weekly supply of long underwear at the ready and move the boots to the front of the closet.

When I realize I ran out of summer long before I ran out of summer frocks in MN.

When I book our yearly dogsledding weekend and cannot wait for the snow to start.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Zemke Fan said:
  1. You dress for work and notice that your black dress shoes, sincere navy suit, and briefcase ALL have to be DUSTED.
  2. You run out of tonic water but you don't really give a damn since you've started drinking straight gin.
  3. You start wearing your favorite vintage wristwatch again since there's no chance you'll damage it by sweating during the 20 minute walk to work.
And, YOU??

Buckingham Palace closes to the Public :)

Edward

Bartender
Ethan Bentley said:
Buckingham Palace closes to the Public :)

Only until the Revolution comes and we take it back. ;)

Despite the in my eyes almost perfect Summer weather (plenty of rain, temperatures rarely over 25 celcius), I'm very glad that the Summer has now gone. After a long few months, I'm happy enough to put my correspondents away for the Winter (much as I love 'em!) and wear a more sober dress shoe on a daily basis, and especially glad to have once more a wide range of hat choices rather than beng limited to cotton or straw lest I sweat buckets off my shiny bonce all day. The only bit i hate, really, is the intermediate stage in September, when one either wears a coat out on a cold morning, only to be far too warm and have to carry the damn thing around most of the day, or heads out without one on a bright morning and promptly freezes.

The lack of Bank/ Public Holidays - none in the UK after the end of August until Christmas - can be a pain in one respect, but at least it normally means the tube only rolls over and dies on some flimsy notion of "necessary improvements" two days a week (Saturday and Sunday) instead of three - London Underground operating in the belief that not only does noone want to go anywhere at the weekend, but that we don't want to travel on Bank Holidays either.

Hal

Practically Family
I notice the darker days already here. It gets darker earlier and earlier. I can't do as much in the garden and it gets too cold to really hang out with my son under the old orange tree very long after dinner.
I, too, dislike decreasing day-length, having lived and worked in a part of Norway where, at present, the sun rises 3 minutes later and sets 3 minutes earlier each day! I cannot see how it can possibly be cold where you live if you can grow oranges out-of-doors.
Despite the shortening days, I'm with Edward on this - I'd be delighted never to have to experience temperatures over 25C. Thermal comfort is easy to adjust sartorially in cold weather, but impossible in the heat - and many of your American compatriots say this as well.

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
I was just thinking about this subject this morning when I was taking our Jack Russell Terrier, Abbie, out for a walk and realized it was both dark and chilly. Most years I don't particularly like the onset of cold weather though I do eventually come to enjoy it.
This year, however, is different as I finally (!) got an Aero jacket -- last spring.... and got to wear it one time before it ended up too hot. So, I have been looking forward to wearing the jacket and have been thinking "fall and winter are good" this year. I will see whether I can remain positive when it's 38 degrees F and raining. Or 20 degrees and snowing... I suppose I will since Abbie loves to play in the snow.

I am not sure if I have written about this earlier, but one thing that happens out here from late fall thru early spring is while it may get cool (or almost cold) at night, often the day time warms up nicely.

During the course of the work week I will pop on a light jacket or sweater for the morning ride into work and slip it onto the back of my chair at my desk. The day warms up and it's nice when I leave work so I forget the jacket on the back of the chair. Next thing I know is on Friday I have nothing to put on in the morning because all of my light weight outerwear is on my chair at work.:eusa_doh:

Geesie

Practically Family
Summer here is almost over - now the season is "Santa Ana", which is hotter and far less pleasant than summer.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Snow in some parts of the area today. Saw a mix of about half rain and half snow an hour or so ago. Last day of summer, that's Colorado for you.:)

Brad

Hal said:
I, too, dislike decreasing day-length, having lived and worked in a part of Norway where, at present, the sun rises 3 minutes later and sets 3 minutes earlier each day! I cannot see how it can possibly be cold where you live if you can grow oranges out-of-doors.
Despite the shortening days, I'm with Edward on this - I'd be delighted never to have to experience temperatures over 25C. Thermal comfort is easy to adjust sartorially in cold weather, but impossible in the heat - and many of your American compatriots say this as well.

It can still get down into the 20s (farenheit) here and it is bone chilling as it is near the water. However, if you know how and where to plant Oranges and other citrus, they do quite well as they do in Florida in the same conditions. I lost a lemon tree and a lime tree here about thirty years ago due to frost. It hasn't been that bad since. [huh] It does not snow here though. I couldn't live in a place that has snow. :eek: :eusa_doh:
25C is just about when I start to get comfortable. I don't know about other people here but I LIKE heat. Anything over 120 is getting a bit too high though. :D

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
The lack of Bank/ Public Holidays - none in the UK after the end of August until Christmas - can be a pain in one respect, but at least it normally means the tube only rolls over and dies on some flimsy notion of "necessary improvements" two days a week (Saturday and Sunday) instead of three - London Underground operating in the belief that not only does noone want to go anywhere at the weekend, but that we don't want to travel on Bank Holidays either.

This made me snarf water up my nose laughing.

And don't even try taking a late train out of the city on a 'improvements' weekend....I once got a -very- slow midnight bus tour of what must have been every single northand east london neighbourhood....instead of a quick train to Herts....

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Summers over?!? lol I'll let you know how I know summers over in a few months...when its really over here. I dont care that the calender says tomorrow is the first day of autumn, I live in the desert, it aint over by a long shot! :p
We are currently having unseasonably higher temps lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran