Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know that summer really IS over when...

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
  1. You dress for work and notice that your black dress shoes, sincere navy suit, and briefcase ALL have to be DUSTED.
  2. You run out of tonic water but you don't really give a damn since you've started drinking straight gin.
  3. You start wearing your favorite vintage wristwatch again since there's no chance you'll damage it by sweating during the 20 minute walk to work.
And, YOU??

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Panama hat goes away because I am afraid it will either blow away or get rained on.

My Spectators go back into their trees and shoe bags for their long winter naps.

It's cool enough at night to wear tweed.

200,000 students invade Boston, and I can finally drive on Route 3 South on a Friday afternoon (no more Cape Traffic).

Ah, autumn in Boston!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You look at that pile of cotton stockings you threw over the back of a chair in May and realize you've got to sit down *today* and darn up the holes.

You realize you still haven't sewn up the ripped pocket in your winter coat, and it won't be long now before you need it.

You ask yourself if you've got enough laths and tar paper in the garage left over from last year to bank the house, or if you'll have to buy more.

You convince yourself you can put the seersucker dress away, because there really is no chance you're going to be wearing it again till next June.

You breathe a sigh of relief when you see that the moths left your cardigans alone.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
You're struck by how clear and blue the September sky is, and even get a headache from the low afternoon sun.
You feel that first cool evening breeze.
The kids are all in school. (Even today, forty plus years later, I HATE the idea of "going back to school"!)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
You wake up to mid-50'sF temps and your head packed up like cement.

You start thinking less about grilling, more about soups.

The slippers come back out to protect against the tile kitchen floor, which was soothingly cool a month ago but is ice cold now.

Hot, rather than iced, tea.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
For the Floridaians out there:

When you realize that you will not get to wear anything fall like until christmas time and you want to cry!

When you realize you dont have to put away the white suit or shoes until at least New years.

(Can you tell I miss fall weather changes?:( )

Samantha

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
For me, the biggest one is when I go to a bar and discover that Sam Adams Summer Ale has been retired for the season. BOO :(

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Another...

... when you contemplate going to a WWII event dressed in the winter AAF uniform! (Before you come to your senses and realize that it's predicted to be mid-80s!)

LizzieMaine said:
You breathe a sigh of relief when you see that the moths left your cardigans alone.
That reminds me to check AGAIN!

I bought some great sweaters on sale last winter and have them all safely (fingers crossed) tucked away with several pouches of aromatic cedar.

Caroline

One of the Regulars
It's over when...

~Octoberfest is on the brain, instead of the beach.

~The hot drinks in the Trader Vic's books sound less absurd.

~The sun on your back feels good and not painful.

~The rustle of leaves on the pavement replaces the hum of insects in the grass.

~The Pendleton skirts and cableknit tights come out again!:)

Sunny

One Too Many
1. The driveway in the afternoon is no longer extremely painful to bare feet, merely uncomfortably warm.

2. The pre-dawn temperature is in the 60s.

3. The wind is out of the north for the first time in months. (Yes, that was thanks to Gustav.)

LizzieMaine said:
You realize you still haven't sewn up the ripped pocket in your winter coat, and it won't be long now before you need it.
4. You realize you need to sew down the Persian lamb collar that's coming off your heavy winter coat. You also realize that you need to replace the shattered silk pockets in your light coat and FIND the blasted button you secreted in such a safe place late last spring. You squelch the disloyal thought that it'll be months before either can comfortably worn anyway, and maybe the button will turn up before then.

5. You then realize that that vintage raincoat needs repairs much more urgently, hopefully before the fall rains [should] begin.

6. You spend most of a Saturday afternoon in the yard in the semi-shade of a young pecan tree and never get hot enough to go inside. (We only hit 92 that day.)

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Summer ain't over 'til it's over. But it ain't over yet! Do not speak of such things! [bad]

1. You're finishing a purchase at Target, and one of the in-store Starbucks employees is going around offering samples of Pumpkin Spice.

2. You consider pulling out a jacket for the first time in months.

3. You remember that you never finished hemming that short capelet. The one you were going to wear last winter, but didn't finish, and put away because after all, you didn't need it because the weather was getting warmer!

4. You remember that you never did Scotchguard your coat...

5. You develop a rebellious case of loving bright summery colors and lots of *white*.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Zemke Fan said:
... when you contemplate going to a WWII event dressed in the winter AAF uniform! (Before you come to your senses and realize that it's predicted to be mid-80s!)

:eek:fftopic: Zemke, Is the reenactment your talking about Ikes Farm by chance? If so see you there!

Samantha

griffer

Practically Family
Summer is over when the darn kids go back to school and stop driving their Daddy's sportscars like race cars!

Gal-danged kids!

And when I get stuck behind school buses on my way tot the catch the train.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran