Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know that summer really IS over when...

rumblefish

One Too Many
...you go out on the water and your choice of hat is made for warmth not for blocking the sun.

...it's time to collect oysters, September is the first "R" month.

...you come home to the smell of cooking plum tomatoes.

...the sycamore trees (the first to fall on LI) remind you that you're going to be picking up a lot of leaves soon.

...the silk and linen clothing go in the cedar closet, and the wool and leather come out.

...tea is drunk hot again.

...you don't hear the Ice Cream Man's "Turkey in the straw" anymore.:(

Mike K.

One Too Many
Summer is over in south Florida...

• When the hurricanes stop
  • When the first "cold" front drops the temperature from the mid-90s to the mid-80s
  • When millions of Snow Buzzards, too wimpy for northern winters, flock south en masse to overrun every beach, restaurant, road, etc. and annoy us full-time residents
  • When acres of wild sunflowers come into bloom and paint the landscape a brilliant yellow
  • When the local mangoes are ripe
  • When the frog choruses dwindle
  • When diving, surfing, etc. finally requires a wetsuit

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Summer is over on the west coast when the weather in September is nicer than it was in August... The last few weeks have been blissful.. Warm and sunny and, i might add, my favorite time of year...
In fact we really only have 2 seasons in the Pacific Northwest...
One is rainy and the other is not rainy... And those can happen any time of year....

Kassia

One of the Regulars
rumblefish said:
...you go out on the water and your choice of hat is made for warmth not for blocking the sun.

...it's time to collect oysters, September is the first "R" month.

...you come home to the smell of cooking plum tomatoes.

...the sycamore trees (the first to fall on LI) remind you that you're going to be picking up a lot of leaves soon.

...the silk and linen clothing go in the cedar closet, and the wool and leather come out.

...tea is drunk hot again.

...you don't hear the Ice Cream Man's "Turkey in the straw" anymore.:(

Oh this is so regional!! Up here in Western Canada we drink hot tea all year!!
The one and only time i went to Texas, in late October, i paid $1.75 for a cup of hot water at the Starbucks and had to use my own tea bag...
Or perhaps it is just me that is odd, even among Canadians, cause i drink hot chocolate all year...

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Kassia said:
!
The one and only time i went to Texas, in late October, i paid $1.75 for a cup of hot water at the Starbucks and had to use my own tea bag...

That's not a sign of the seasons, that's a sign that civilization has fallen.

(Wait. You said Texas? From what I understand, two things drink tea in Texas, and one of 'em's steers. ;) )

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Lefty said:
That's not a sign of the seasons, that's a sign that civilization has fallen.

(Wait. You said Texas? From what I understand, two things drink tea in Texas, and one of 'em's steers. ;) )

That's because you threw all the tea in the harbour!!!!

All kidding aside i did go to Houston once for a conference and had a great time... Hey i hope to return to Texas one day and see a bit more of it as i have some online freinds there.. In Austin and the DFW area... One day i'd love to see The Alamo and the Rio Grand... With the expection of one person i met, everyone was so nice.. I met alot of people that had been to Vancouver BC at one time or another, usually to meet thier cruise ship..

Rachael

A-List Customer
when I get to wear all those great things I picked up over the summer (new leather duster here I come)

when I have to schedule my fabric shopping trips around the school schedule

when the grapes in the back yard are ready and pears start to ripen

and of course... when the kids start asking if their Halloween costumes are ready yet

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Kermez said:
You, too, huh? Sorry for you, but glad I'm not alone...

i'm glad too. I thought I was an unusually dirty person. I'm glad it's only my mind that is unusually dirty, and that other people run into fleas in late summer too.

Summer & Fleas

Summer & Fleas go hand in hand. The Fleas appreciate the warm weather for breeding and reproducing. The thing is while both cats and dogs get fleas, cats are often more mobile, so if a neighbor's outdoor cat which has fleas goes thru your yard, then your yard has fleas. If conditions are right then there is a flea explosion in population and the scratching begins.

Hopefully you don't get them into the house. There are yard sprays that will help eliminate the fleas and flea specific bug bombs for the house that makes life a lot easier. Most bug bombs work pretty good but you have to put out all of the pilot lights in the house if you have gas.

Poor little Max had gotten fleas a few weeks ago and I put the Advantex on him, I had lost track and forgot at some point. He's doing better now but it took a number of days. I wound up with a few flea bites in that time too!

They sure love ankles!

Sunny

One Too Many
  • When the mosquitos are finally gone.

Oh, wait. Summer is NOT over for me.

~ Sunny, whose bites swell up to quarter size :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran