Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know that summer really IS over when...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
OT - Fleas

Fleas live 90% of their life cycle OFF the host animal. That means they can be ALL OVER your house. And once that happens they can be quite happy all winter in your nice heated environment. I've always fallen back on dusting the entire house. It may be a little toxic for everyone, but it's highly effective against the little beasties. Within a couple of weeks you've vacuumed up most if not all of the dust, and all the six legged bloodsuckers.

D

DeaconKC

When I make a pot of decaf coffee in the evening instead of iced tea.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I hope summer is ending ...

-- There are some good signs. After a horrid and torrid heat wave in Berkeley, the last few days have been pleasant enough to wear a suit-jacket. Yes, I was making the ladies swoon on the hot days by wearing trousers, a 40s tie, and suspenders without the suit-jacket, but it's so much nicer to have the jacket.

(flea update: I suddenly recall a flea thread I started a year ago. yes, they came back, but after giving the cats medication and vacuuming a lot and using powder on the upholstery, it's down to a manageable level.)

Rachael

A-List Customer
having our predictable warm September here. I remember being disappointed that I could never wear my new school clothes until October since it was too warm.

as to fleas, I am reminded why I love my hardwood floors. I only have to treat the couches and armchairs.

Mojito

One Too Many
We're just getting the first spring hints in the air here in Sydney...and when I arrived home this evening after my long commute there was still a faint hint of daylight in the west.

I know that summer's waning down here when it's too brisk for a swim down at the beach, even if the water is warmer than the air temp.

donCarlos

Practically Family
We´re expecting temperatures about 11°C tommorow, so I hope the summer is really over. I´m glad - I´ll be able to wear my suits and jackets and coats etc. without sweating, I will stop missing a decent summer hat.

The summer ends when I start wearing shoes at home. Winter starts when I go down with my "all-winter" cold. The two weeks between these things are called autumn.

The Jacket Game

A phenomenon that happens to me here in Southern California when summer is over is: that it cools off at night and the early morning drive to work requires a light jacket.

Then during the day it warms up beautifully so I forget the jacket when leaving work.

Repeat for a week and all of the light jackets I own are now on my chair at work.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The fly ribbon displays at all of the Dollar Tree dollar stores are replaced with mouse trap displays.
The storm windows slide downwards, the screens slide upwards in my 27 windows.
Comforters, quilts, blankets are hung over the windows. The 2 space heaters are switched from Fan to Heat.
The smell of burning leaves replaces the smell of outdoor grilling when I'm visiting the suburbs. (We can't burn leaves in the city, nor even have chimineas.)

Doran said:
-- There are some good signs. After a horrid and torrid heat wave in Berkeley, the last few days have been pleasant enough to wear a suit-jacket. Yes, I was making the ladies swoon on the hot days by wearing trousers, a 40s tie, and suspenders without the suit-jacket, but it's so much nicer to have the jacket.

(flea update: I suddenly recall a flea thread I started a year ago. yes, they came back, but after giving the cats medication and vacuuming a lot and using powder on the upholstery, it's down to a manageable level.)

Hot?! That wasn't hot. That was three piece suit weather. ;) :p It used to really get hot around here but alas it all has gone away over the last twenty years. :(
(Remind me to bathe in Deet before I come over next time.:p lol )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy