Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know, you're in old Germany, when...

The majority of Germans still mistakes Sütterlin with Fracture Script/Gothic Script.

They say Sütterlin, but mean Fracture/Gothic.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
The majority of Germans still mistakes Sütterlin with Fracture Script/Gothic Script.

They say Sütterlin, but mean Fracture/Gothic.
Having read as much as I can find (in English) on the interweb and poured over tons of diagrams of alphabets, it's clear that there's a lot of overlap and discrepancies between various scripts, so for me it's hard to pin down exactly what is Sutterin and what is Kurrent (and what is regular Kurrent and what is diplomatic Kurrent). It is clear, however, that Sutterlin is the script most distant from a traditional Latin script that we are all familiar with today (which was also taught to German schoolkids alongside Sutterlin, I guess to confuse kids?). But yeah, Fraktur and Gothic are completely different from scripts!!

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
…and it took an a..hole from Braunau, or was it Rheydt??, to correct that in 1941.

ChrisB

A-List Customer
Suetterlin was created in 1911 in an attempt to simplify and standardize Kurrent.

Kurrent is hard enough to decipher when perfectly executed, and nearly impossible under ordinary circumstances.

Tiki Tom

Discussing this thread, I was told by someone who ought to know that the old German script is still being taught in schools in Austria. I’m a little bit skeptical. Can anyone confirm that it’s still being taught in schools anywhere?

Discussing this thread, I was told by someone who ought to know that the old German script is still being taught in schools in Austria. I’m a little bit skeptical. Can anyone confirm that it’s still being taught in schools anywhere?

I found not a single evidence for that.
They teach austrian basic latin script 1969 or new basic latin script 1995. 1969s is running out.

Turnip

It may still be a theme in some advanced sixth form German courses but it’s for sure no official script font in any German speaking country / state anywhere around Europe.

Turnip

…you chip a tooth in a foreign city you stop over at for breakfast on a Friday morning, ask a search engine for the nearest dentist around, call there, make a date, show up there, show your card of your mandatory health insurance and get things fixed within two hours without any costs.

Rich22

Practically Family
When your neighbour calls the police because they heard one of the apartments above them running a dishwasher on a Sunday, even though they couldn't tell for certain which apartment committed that heinous offence...

Turnip

ajgW0PR_460s.jpg

When the apothecary clerk asks, if you would like to have your medicament delivered to you, when it's available in the afternoon, although you cleary look younger than 45.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Not sure what this is since I don't read German but I can never resist more script/font/etc stuff.

Attachments

• kurrent a60c13b6d0a4e5ebd773ba28a9823bcf.jpg
    kurrent a60c13b6d0a4e5ebd773ba28a9823bcf.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 37
  • kurrent aaf8119dd7541df5de67956e582331f4.jpg
    kurrent aaf8119dd7541df5de67956e582331f4.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 34

Turnip

I learned to write using that 1:1:1 ruling, though we didn’t need to draw the rulings but had pre-lined writing books during whole elementary school instead.
Especially during
apprenticing on my technical profession we had to use norm-writing in any related documents, drawings anyway…what faded away the last relicts of my former hand writing.

Last edited:

Tiki Tom

This is weird. In my small town in Hawaii, I have so far come to know three German women who have lived here many years. Two were military brides, the third ran away to Hawaii when she was a hippy. All three of them enjoy correcting my German (no offense taken.)

Turnip

Never mind!
The vast majority of Germans struggles, and fails, writing grammatically correct German over more than ten sentences…:cool:…not too few even have a hard time speaking correctly…:D

Turnip

NATO rolls out the most massive maneuvers since decades in Europe and you can see and hear the forces practice around here. Right now a massive jet strafing training appears to happen right above our heads, music in my ears…

Tiki Tom

Decades ago, I took part in a NATO exercise in Germany. Without getting too much into politics, I am curious what The average German (if there is such a thing) thinks about the current situation. Are they concerned about the possibility of a wider war? Or is it viewed as an Exaggerated scenario?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy