Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Young loungers

Alon

One of the Regulars
As of this past May 22nd (Richard Wagner's birthday, too), I'm no longer 25. I couldn't tell you why I've always been attracted to things historical, and I'm not sure how much a psychoanalysis of myself would be worth. I, too, love swing music and dancing but I prefer classical. I studied Latin and History before deciding to pursue my dream of opera singing, which I now study. Why fedoras? Because the 1930's is as vintage as I can go without looking too retrograde (powdered wigs, anyone?)

Welcome!

alexandra

Practically Family
Alon said:
As of this past May 22nd (Richard Wagner's birthday, too), I'm no longer 25. I couldn't tell you why I've always been attracted to things historical, and I'm not sure how much a psychoanalysis of myself would be worth. I, too, love swing music and dancing but I prefer classical. I studied Latin and History before deciding to pursue my dream of opera singing, which I now study. Why fedoras? Because the 1930's is as vintage as I can go without looking too retrograde (powdered wigs, anyone?)

Welcome!

I've always thought I'd look good in a powdered wig actually! lol

CharlesB

Suspended
miss_elise said:
that's the look i'll be going with for my birthday....
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MUWAHHA DELIGHTFUL, DELECTABLE UNHUHUH
19404.jpg

French-Aristocrat--29032.jpg

jayem

A-List Customer
I'm 20, and I love anything vintage because I love history.

Shoot me, though, because I am going through a late 60s, early 70s stoner phase right now. I kind of live in vintage bands tees when I'm not wearing scrubs. I do wear a fair share of dresses though... anything with flowers or stripes. Murder the 80s, thats for sure.

rachw182

New in Town
I'm 18.

I have always been a huge history buff, even when I was younger. I used to drag my parents to reenactments and even managed to drag them to Gettysburg! :eusa_clap
WWII is my main interest, especially at this point of my life. I love the music. I'm still trying to master those darn pin curls though...
Today's society is falling apart, and quite frankly I don't want to be a part of that.
I want to be my own person not society's ideal snobby, scantily clad girl.
I don't follow the trends; however, I do prefer to set them.

Maguire

Practically Family
rachw182 said:
I have always been a huge history buff, even when I was younger. I used to drag my parents to reenactments and even managed to drag them to Gettysburg! :eusa_clap
WWII is my main interest, especially at this point of my life. I love the music. I'm still trying to master those darn pin curls though...
Today's society is falling apart, and quite frankly I don't want to be a part of that.
I want to be my own person not society's ideal snobby, scantily clad girl.
I don't follow the trends; however, I do prefer to set them.
Bravo!!

My experience is similar to others here i'd say. I'm interested in history and the 30s and 40s have much more appeal. socially, culturally, politically, etc. I don't really concern myself with specifics but i'll generally wear a shirt and tie or suit to most things. I don't like swing or jazz, i like the tango and great old music Spain produced in this period (and a little later), and the great marches produced at this time in Europe. I was interested in fedoras and derbies and such since i'd say sophomore year of high school and wore them regularly until recently.

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
I'm nineteen and living in Toronto. From reading some of the other replies, it seems like I did things backwards from the usual... My interest in vintage began with the fashion and grew from there into movies, music, history, decor, and so on. Superficial, maybe, but that's how it went! I got a taste for vintage clothes by seeking out particular fits, fabrics, and prints; it just so happened those were more easily found in vintage style.

I don't think I had that big a leap into vintage, in high school I got absorbed by the small group of punks (less in a "suburban Casualties fan" kind of way and more in a "no really, the duct tape is there because I really can't afford a new pair of boots" way). I guess on the surface they're pretty different subcultures but I see a lot of similarities between punk and vintage communities, it's not a surprise there's a lot of overlap. Either way, I've never been able to just throw on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt and step outside.

Big parts of me don't really mesh with (what I percieve to be?) the attidues I've encountered in vintage communities... Such as the love of vintage clothes and values for the traditional femininity. Although half the time I'm in ultrafeminine mode, the other half I crossdress. (To be fair, whether masculine or feminine, I'm mostly in vintage style.) I consider both to be a form of drag for myself.

CaddyKid21

One of the Regulars
Well, im 15, born May 7th 1993, same day as the sinking of the Lusitania. I have always loved old cars and old stuff in general, new stuff is boring lol . I had a large fascination in Nautical history, especially the Titanic and the Lusitania considering my connection i guess, and ocean liners from days gone by fascinate me, the style, elegance and did I mention style of traveling.
Around December, i stopped into a store called MyBabyJo down the street from my house. I picked up the Rockabilly style instantly, and now im the only Greaser at my school, an i even got a friend into it. I'm not just 50's, i also love the 20's-40's. My great grandfather was the founder of the 21 Club in New York, so i have a great interest in the 30's and prohibition and e.t.c.
I found the Fedora Lounge while looking up info on pomades, hooked ever since.

Maguire

Practically Family
CaddyKid21 said:
Well, im 15, born May 7th 1993,
I have to say, and i don't mean this condescendingly, but it makes me feel incredibly old when someone was just born at a time that i can remember vividly. I still can't get myself to accept people born after 1990 are actually going to be adults soon. Life really is too fast sometimes.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
I'm 19. I'm here because I've been wearing a fedora since 10th grade and this forum is an excellent place for me to learn about hats. I'm interested in dressing well because so many of my peers do not know how to, and it could be called a dying art. I don't have an affinity for any specific decade or era, but I recognize that people back then generally knew how to dress with more style than people do today so if I can imitate that, then I know I'm on my way to looking good.

waffle

One of the Regulars
I'm 25.. as a kid, I loved anything (mostly music) from the 50's and 60's. Although most if not all of my friends were listening to modern rock and rap, I couldnt leave my music behind. Now, I still love the music, but now love reading about anything in the 30's-40's, especially WWII. The years keep movin forward but it seems as if I'm going backward..

cheers!

Herr Hitman

One of the Regulars
Im gonna cheat. I am 26, but got into swing music and retro culture when I was in high school. There was a pretty decent swing revival here in the states back in the 90s. I think I got into it because I have always been a big WWII history buff, and I also grew up with grandparents listening to Sinatra, Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Artie Shaw etc...
Plus I was a punk rock kid and swing culture seemed like a suitable subculture to grow up into.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy