Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Young loungers

RetroPat

Familiar Face
I'm 20 and only recently became interested in the Golden Era. I don't think my love for vintage things began in a vacuum, it was definitely a process. My parents appreciate antiques. Growing up, my house was filled with Victorian furniture, and eventually Early American pieces. I have always loved antiques, especially Victorian and Eastlake, so I guess it's not surprising that I would enjoy things from the Golden Era too. We never had much furniture from the 20s-50s until my Mom came into possession of my great grandmother's dining room set which is a 1930s Art Deco/Art Nouveau set. I eventually began looking around my grandparents house and realizing much of their furniture that I like was from the Golden Era. I'm actually in the process of having a Waterfall Chest of theirs restored. I'll be getting my first apartment next year so I've been scrounging around thrift stores and antique malls looking for vintage things to use in my apartment. I've had some luck and hope to find more deals in the future. I'm really glad to be a part of the board and happy to see so many Loungers my age.

der schneider

One of the Regulars
Welkommen Pat and all you other kool yungs.

I am very pleased to see so many young folk who can appreciate fine clothing.

I have been a tailor for 27 years and have seen a lot of changes in fashion. casual fridays really changed the clothing business I hope to see the trend moving back to a more formal attire. you younger folk are the hope for my future.

Pat will you be going to casablanca night at fort harrison next saturday?

RetroPat

Familiar Face
der schneider said:
Welkommen Pat and all you other kool yungs.

I am very pleased to see so many young folk who can appreciate fine clothing.

I have been a tailor for 27 years and have seen a lot of changes in fashion. casual fridays really changed the clothing business I hope to see the trend moving back to a more formal attire. you younger folk are the hope for my future.

Pat will you be going to casablanca night at fort harrison next saturday?
Unfortunately I won't be able to make it. It does seem like a lot of fun though. Have you been before?

Elizabeth.F

Familiar Face
I'm still in high school and have been seriously interested in vintage since I saw my first silent movie 3 years ago. I loved it and now can't get enough of music, manners, movies, and cars from 1910-1935. I quickly realized that I don't care for modern music, manners, and clothes anymore. I liked clothes from that era right from the start and I am now getting interested in wearing them, as well as attending more events.

I still love it when the librarians give me a funny look when they see me check out an Eddie Cantor CD and ask, "Aren't you a bit young to be interested in that sort of thing?"

WinoJunko

One of the Regulars
I've actually been on this site for a while but I've been more of a lurker then anything else. I've never seen this thread before so I figure I'll re-introduce myself here. I'm 18 years old and I didn't really get into anything vintage until a few years ago. I think it had to do with my interest in World War ll, I've always been a history geek =P I think I just started to get more interested in the people of that time and therefore the culture and fashion and all that stuff. I've been hooked ever since!

p.s. Something I'd like to add that I know other people have already said, is that people back then treated other people alot better then we treat each other these days. I'm not saying everyone is that way but it seems like I'm surrounded by a cess-pool of vulgarity. Its nice to see a place where people aren't so crude and rude =)

Lau Mo

Familiar Face
High School and College Aged Loungers

Hey all, I searched but I didn't find a thread for this, so:

Who is still in High School/College?

I figure this thread is basically a place for the younger crowd to gather, and talk about how you got into vintage, how you deal with buying vintage looks on a budget (especially for the college students who also have tuition bills to worry about), reactions you get from other young people, et cetera.

If this is too exclusive to everyone else, feel free to delete. I just thought it might be nice to meet other people my age who are into vintage. (Not that I don't love meeting people older than myself! Please don't take this the wrong way :) )

Geesie

Practically Family
I don't know if I count... I'm in college but I'm (almost) 28. Graduate student, took a few years after undergrad to Join the Navy, See the World.

What got me into vintage? Probably jazz. I first bought a fedora and started wearing jackets to emulate my jazz heroes. Then there was just my own innate sense of style, derived from multiple, unidentifiable sources. I always loved rail travel, art deco, and old movies. Don't know why, just did.

And sadly, I cannot answer your other question because my closet is very low on actual vintage, mostly due to budget constraints. I wear fedoras and suits, but they aren't true vintage so... :shrug:

Lau Mo

Familiar Face
Of course you count Geesie and Diamondback!

I have a feeling financial constraints will be a common theme in this thread lol :rolleyes: I have mostly vintage inspired and repro pieces. I can't afford real vintage right now, unfortunatly.

And Caity Lynn...I get told that I was born middle aged all the time too. [huh]

Lau Mo said:
I get told that I was born middle aged all the time too. [huh]
I can relate--downside of "accelerated maturity" on one side: 28 going on 56... (Then again, being raised by an old WWII-vet sarge in the endgame stage of the Cold War and being conditioned from birth by him to be ready to confront the Reds may have something to do with that too.:eek: )
----------------
Now playing: John Williams - The Journey to Akator
via FoxyTunes

Geesie

Practically Family
Lau Mo said:
And Caity Lynn...I get told that I was born middle aged all the time too. [huh]

I got (and still get) comments/jokes all the time when I, say, wear a trench coat or a cardigan. Or smoke my pipe or have a martini...

They're just jealous. ;)

Lau Mo

Familiar Face
I started this thread, yet I forgot to mention, I'm a college freshman.

Geesie, obviously it's jealousy lol

Though I don't think it was jealousy that provoked laughter when I told my friends how an 80 year old man winked and smiled at me at the grocery store. My mom said I probably reminded him of his wife at my age or something lol

But honestly, it can get tiring when people don't understand why I dress/act the way I do and resort to making fun. At least my roommates don't make fun of me when I go to bed with my hair in pin curls anymore!

Gatsby84

Familiar Face
I just graduated with my Bachelors last year. I'm more vintage-minded than into vintage dress... for most of my activities out here in South Dakota it's impractical for me to dress nice like that. But every once in a while the vintage inspired comes out. I am, however, never without my fedora except on the windiest of days.

-Allen

Miss Ritz

New in Town
I'm in college too, and like a few others, I'm a late bloomer :eek: I took a few years after high school to wear a uniform and went back to school when I was finished. Only 2 more classes to go though!! But then it's off to grad school, so... :eusa_doh:

I got into vintage after walking around countless antique stores with my Mother as a kid. As I got older, I wanted a unique style and started mixing retro and vintage clothing into my modern stuff and ending up with a pretty eclectic wardrobe!! It's boomed from there... the music, movies, history, I love it!!

DerMann

Practically Family
College freshman here.

I became interested in vintage shenanigans during my Junior year of high school through various means and fora.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot