Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your FAVE 'Golden Era' Picture Ads.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Great selection of ads.

Nice one!! Now 'why' choose 'that' one in particular? Is it the colouration? the graphics? the artistry? Why does it grab your attention? what about the written blurb?

Let's HEAR why you love 'this one'...

Warbaby

One Too Many
adArrowshirts.jpg

Mycroft Holmes

One of the Regulars
(1) Why *not* place this post in the WWII forum? The ad is concerned with WWII gasoline rationing. Displaying it as a post in the WWII forum where both the topic and the ad can be discussed makes sense to me. IMHO placing it in some generic forum does not make sense.

(2) These ads are drawn from a much larger source: The Gallery of Graphic Design. I include a link at the end of each post which points to a full size version that ad's entry in the gallery. The gallery currently includes 8,400+ ads from 1932 to 1969. I add about 150-200 ads per month. Take a look at:

http://graphic-design.tjs-labs.com

(3) I do have a separate blog where I post these and other selected ads on a daily basis. I don't make reference to it since I already have another external link mentioned in the post. Take a look at:

http://the-retro-press.tjs-labs.com

Hopefully, my forum postings are welcome. However, I certainly don't want to disrupt the Lounge and clutter the forums with non-compliant postings. Please let me know!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks for your help Mycroft.

Really appreciate your posting above as there are some great images for 'all' of us to admire :eusa_clap Great contribution, Thanks!!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I have several favourites...

Black Cat cigarettes
MG
Poster advertisements for the pre-war Le Mans races
Inter-war RAF recruitment ads
Edmonds Baking Powder (NZ)

I might try and edit this post later with images.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Leatherheads...

That's good timing with this one, as the movie has 'just' been released now in the UK (Messr Clooney..etc). I have a few ads too I must get around to digging out for this thread!!

Deco*Boom

New in Town
One of my faves

This well-known ad has always been one of my faves. Very inspiring for women, but also shows the different branches of the military. A literal display of all of the new opportunities women got during the war.

1.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I'm absolutely nuts about vintage advertising illustrations.

I can spend hours at www.plan59.com and www.tocmp.com and always manage to find something new.

Here's one I enjoy from my photobucket account:

1933_Pontiac_roadster.jpg

Here's the "Art" album: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v485/conwi1wd/Art/

I've got lots more on both my laptop and desktop that I've never seen fit to upload - not to mention hard copies of vintage ads hanging in my bathroom (wife won't let me spread them elsewhere in the apartment).

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy