Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite Hot Dog Stand?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Wasses Hot Dogs, right here in Rockland. They're about two blocks away from where I live, and when the wind is right and the windows are open the fumes drift up here and drive me crazy with hunger.

They serve only natural-casing franks, grilled perfectly in peanut oil, on steamed buns, with your choice of *lots* of different toppings. They started out as a pushcart back in the early '70s, and have grown into a mini-chain of four stands spread across three towns. They also have some rather famous folks among their clientele -- world-renowned artist Andrew Wyeth can often be seen standing in line among us proles waiting for a 'dog.

photo1.gif

No visit to Midcoast Maine is complete without a Wasses Weenie!

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
The Original Hot Dog Shop ("The O" to locals) in the Oakland area of Pittsburgh. Great hot dogs, but even more amazing are the fries--a small order is easily enough to feed 2-3 people!

2531754-The_Original_Hotdog_Shop-Pittsburgh.jpg

Also, the Brighton Hot Dog Shoppe in New Brighton, PA. Great chili dogs.

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
Sacramento has Jim-Denny's, 816 12th St.

47b7da30b3127cce835379120e4600000016100JZOG7Zm1Yo

Since 1934. Their hamburger fame tends to overshadow the fact that they do have hot dogs - like the classic jumbo dog and also a decent chili dog. It's a great joint. Lunch counter only w/about 10 stools, or you can get it to go in the "starlight room" (the back window)

jake431

Practically Family
Adelaidey said:
Superdawg in Chicago.... one of the last drive-ins left... go on the weekends in the summer, when all the classic cars come out, and enjoy an amazing Chicago dog with everything-- you won't be dissapointed :D

I have to second this recommendation.

superdawg.jpg

I mean, come ON!

If I'm not on the Northwest Side, Weiner Circle is good - especially if I'm in the mood for some abuse from the ladies behind the counter.

But, one of my favorites is in Skokie - Poochies. Not only are their hot dogs outstanding (Vienna Beef only please!) but they make a fantastic char-grilled salami sandwich (get it on french bread).

Now I'm hungry!
-Jake

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Red Hot Lovers in Ann Arbor, MI, was the prime mover in my gaining 25 lb during college. Great doggies, wiffle fries, fantabulous charburgers. All smothered in actual melted cheddar and steamed poppyseed buns! :p :rolleyes:

I miss Chicago dogs; they're very much Not Allowed in NYC. Altho I do love a Nathan's now and again. (and again. and again.)

annarbor_redHotLovers_seriousDog.jpg

What's with all the pix of the danged BUILDINGS?! Show the FOOOOD!

olive bleu

One Too Many
Boy, this thread is making me hungry.I just recently threw in the towel after 10 years of vegetarianism, and you know waht my #1 craving always was? Hot Dogslol

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I waited in line for over an hour to get two hot dogs from Flos in Cape Neddick, Maine. It was worth every second. If you can't make it there, buy the homemade relish. That stuff is worth every penny. It's like no relish I've had before or since. http://www.floshotdogs.com/

cooper

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
I waited in line for over an hour to get two hot dogs from Flos in Cape Neddick, Maine. It was worth every second. If you can't make it there, buy the homemade relish. That stuff is worth every penny. It's like no relish I've had before or since. http://www.floshotdogs.com/
Looks like they have three new locations. I'll be hitting that on one of the many migrations north.Thanks for the link.

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
Anyone else here ever seen the documentary "A Hot Dog Program" on PBS?

Watch and drool, my friends, watch and drool...

Also made by the same guy: "An Ice Cream Program" and "Sandwiches That You Will Like".... all three make me want to take a roadtrip across the country for no other purpose than to try all these culinary delights. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace