Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite outerwear Instagram account(s)

internet is scary these days, once I follow links of references given by the person who commission me, and this references is about model of dresses the character would wear in the story, and then my e-shopping list on my apps suggested me similar items to shop, my IG and facebook ads bar showing similar items, I could not imagine if by curiosity I googled "how does fertilizer be used in making explosive" I m afraid bfore the end of the day my house would be raided by local antiterror squad

When I still had a job, my girlfriend called me one day to tell me someone hit her car while it was parked and how the door had a dent now. I mentioned it to my colleagues and that was it. When some minutes later I went on to check the local classifieds, I discovered that all the ads were services that fix car body dents.

On another occasion, my boss asked him if I could help him drag the old power generator out from the storage. We did so and when I got back to my computer, literally all the ads were on power generators. Needless to say, we never once looked for the thing online.

Dunno what was it exactly that was listening to us in that office and what were the mechanics behind it, but something did.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
BTW, since you guys are much more knowledgeable, what is it exactly with leaving cuffs on jeans like this in the first place? I looked up but couldn't find a clear answer.

Personally i don't hem jeans, i just get them in whatever length Iron Heart sells them.
If they are 35-36" i don't cuff, if they are above 36" i cuff.
I then never really undo the cuff other than during a wash, a pair of jeans that started it's life cuffed will be cuffed it's entire life.
Right now i have two pairs that are cuffed, my 23oz UHR and my 25oz 634. All the other ones are uncuffed.

I will also cuff in summer if it is super hot just to break the seal between boot and jeans, it really allows more airflow. I don't own or wear shorts, so a cuff is my hot weather wear.

edit: I read through the thread, its funny how all of the boots or jeans shown on all these rough and tough IG look brand new and unworn, it's really just for the looks, none of these guys look like they have ever walked in the woods in their lives!

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
edit: I read through the thread, its funny how all of the boots or jeans shown on all these rough and tough IG look brand new and unworn, it's really just for the looks, none of these guys look like they have ever walked in the woods in their lives!
With 'vintage engineer boots' being the exception
EB775E03-FD7F-463A-AD40-2860DC45F278.jpeg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
With 'vintage engineer boots' being the exception View attachment 279144

Meeeh, i don't know, maye i am jaded but it all looks fake to me.
These guys are basically the Kardashians of the workwear no?
Take a few steps in mud and dust, take a cool shot holding a shovel looking manly, upload and wait for the likes... Rinse and repeat everyday.
It all feels super planned and orchestrated to the point where it looks like a disguise rather than a real lifestyle.

Pandemic

One Too Many
Generally agree, but I do think VEB is the exception.

I’m also guilty: I have some beautiful work boots that I never work in - I wear cheaper boots to hike and work in.

Mich486

One Too Many
Definitely all staged, last thing one thinks when working (let alone manual labour) is taking a picture of himself.

Jeez if I started taking pictures of myself while working they’d be all the same. Sitting at a desk staring at the monitor :D

Ain't we all?

But seriously, utter lack of attempt to appear genuine, other than the insane amount of money spent on the right clothes they believe makes them appear genuine, is what's so laughable about so many of these accounts. These are the people whose lives resolve around fashion and yet they insist on pretending this isn't so.
Fashion isn't fake. Fashion is genuine, even in being fake and that's why this is so silly. Actually faking it always fails and makes one look phony.
That's what I love about Japanese accounts. Even in the most vintage-heritage-whatever inspired gear, they know they're on a runway and they love it.

Meanwhile...
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHDT5Eljs6N/
123191265_703404293715367_7184936933277248150_n.jpg

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Meeeh, i don't know, maye i am jaded but it all looks fake to me.
Take a few steps in mud and dust, take a cool shot holding a shovel looking manly, upload and wait for the likes... Rinse and repeat everyday.
It all feels super planned and orchestrated to the point where it looks like a disguise rather than a real lifestyle.
Did not even bother to smear the other boot with the mud...what a fake. TFL is infinitely more genuine, even if some of us are still searching for our style. I know I am. I'd rather get my ideas here than from IG.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
dunno why many people who wear indigo from head to toe, have to emulate a perceived lifestyle just to justify the clothes, just wear the clothes take pics, and enjoy the day in the usual modern way, no need to start hammering a chunk of steel, or splitting wood, or shoveling dirt, or brewing coffee in the most archaic way, or playing mechanic to a perfectly fine bike. :p:p to me they just trying to "accidentally" drop and smear stuff on their jeans, without being seen as cheat...

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Did not even bother to smear the other boot with the mud...what a fake. TFL is infinitely more genuine, even if some of us are still searching for our style. I know I am. I'd rather get my ideas here than from IG.
Just check the guy's instagram or his blog. He's in the a US Marine corps, he lives in the desert and goes hiking wearing his fancy boots.
FC185492-693C-422F-ABD5-990E6CC34D49.jpeg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Just check the guy's instagram or his blog. He's in the a US Marine corps, he lives in the desert and goes hiking wearing his fancy boots.
View attachment 279431

I don't know, i'm a bass player, i live in the woods and i also go hiking wearing fancy boots, doesn't mean i have to create a new internet personality and feed the world "the right" image/lifestyle.
For example, i wear mostly motorcycle jackets, they are the designs i prefer.
I also ride a bike, it's just a mode of transport i enjoy, the fact that i like biker jackets and bikes doesn't define me as a person.

I feel like if i was an IG poser the "correct" thing for me to do would be to start taking pictures in front of biker bars looking all tough, holding a quart of Jack Daniels and smoking a cigarette. That's the "lifestyle" i should try to sell.
Whether i actually spend time in biker bars or not is not relevent to the IG story.

Look at the video @Monitor posted above, anyone who splits more than 1 cord a year will instantly know this guy is splitting wood for the first time in his life. Still, he looks like a freaking lumberjack, to me this is a fancy dress.
He is disguised into what he thinks a woodsman looks like.

Now, i don't know the guy you posted above, but when i see pics like this:

xdFKM3D.png

I can't not think this is fake and constructed, the guy cuffed his cargo pocket to show the lining!
Who does that and why? If not just to score IG creds?
To me IG is like a fashion magazine, nothing is real, everything is done for a reason and that is getting likes.

Edit: full disclosure i have never had an IG account, other than the few accounts posted on TFL i have never really spent time on there.

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I don't know, i'm a bass player, i live in the woods and i also go hiking wearing fancy boots, doesn't mean i have to create a new internet personality and feed the world "the right" image/lifestyle.
For example, i wear mostly motorcycle jackets, they are the designs i prefer.
I also ride a bike, it's just a mode of transport i enjoy, the fact that i like biker jackets and bikes doesn't define me as a person.

I feel like if i was an IG poser the "correct" thing for me to do would be to start taking pictures in front of biker bars looking all tough, holding a quart of Jack Daniels and smoking a cigarette. That's the "lifestyle" i should try to sell.
Whether i actually spend time in biker bars or not is not relevent to the IG story.

Look at the video @Monitor posted above, anyone who splits more than 1 cord a year will instantly know this guy is splitting wood for the first time in his life. Still, he looks like a freaking lumberjack, to me this is a fancy dress.
He is disguised into what he thinks a woodsman looks like.

Now, i don't know the guy you posted above, but when i see pics like this:

xdFKM3D.png

I can't not think this is fake and constructed, the guy cuffed his cargo pocket to show the lining!
Who does that and why? If not just to score IG creds?
To me IG is like a fashion magazine, nothing is real, everything is done for a reason and that is getting likes.

Edit: full disclosure i have never had an IG account, other than the few accounts posted on TFL i have never really spent time on there.
Hehe you're right, cuffing cargo pants is pretty ridiculous. And yes it's fake and constructed and I know it.

But if I'm honest, I just like seeing photo's of nice boots, jackets, denim and belts. And even though it's posed, those boots look nicer in their 'natural habitat' than when some guy was wearing them to the office.

I feel like if i was an IG poser the "correct" thing for me to do would be to start taking pictures in front of biker bars looking all tough, holding a quart of Jack Daniels and smoking a cigarette.
On the fit pics made in your living room, you already look tougher than most of us. The Jack Daniels and cigarette would be overdoing it :p

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Ok one final try before I give up.

Dave Himel goes fishing, wearing one of his creations.

Real or poser?

1CA2A7FF-72F4-47ED-A631-3D727537A9A7.jpeg
F7C0174A-2045-4546-82D6-D74049AB46C1.jpeg

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I should probably mention that I do have an IG account but mainly to contact makers - that's how I managed to get in touch with ELS for example. He wasn't answering the phone.

That being said I never posted a single photo there, I am more comfortable posting them here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112