Your Favorite Sandwiches?

Discussion in 'The Connoisseur' started by LizzieMaine, Sep 27, 2006.

1. belfastboy

belfastboy Call Me a Cab

Here in Canada we have had a number of Romaine lettuce recalls due to E coli. My response to my numerous vegan and health scold friends.....I have yet to see a recall of bacon so at least my smoked meat is killing me slowly unlike your bloody lettuce!

LizzieMaine likes this.
  2. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

Many years ago, my girlfriend and I stopped in a not-fancy little bakery-sandwich shop in upstate NY and chose the "special" of the day: turkey and Swiss on a baguette with butter and mayo.

Holy Smokes, it was awesome. The turkey was fresh (right from the bird) and carved thin (same thin cut on the Swiss), the baguette was fresh, with a crunchy crust and chewy inside and the mayo-on-one-side-butter-on-the-other was the perfect condiment combo.

Ever since, we've been making those at home and they are certainly up there in this sandwich-loving-guy's top three favorites.

It's not fancy, but each ingredient matters and the thin slicing of the turkey and cheese makes a big difference. We've found this out as anytime we've altered something, the result has been disappointing.

William G. likes this.
  3. crawlinkingsnake

crawlinkingsnake One of the Regulars

Without a doubt it's a Colasessano's (http://www.colasessanos.com) pepperoni roll from Fairmont, WV. Originating from the north-central region of the state, pepperoni rolls are special. Found all over the area from Clarksburg to Fairmont to Morgantown and beyond. They're all good but Colo's are best. Been eating 'em since a student at Fairmont State. :p

Vera Godfrey and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  4. The Jackal

The Jackal One of the Regulars

Cuban sandwich is probably my favorite. I bought a sandwich press specifically so I can make them myself, even though I rarely find authentic Cuban bread to make them with.

5. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

I would never think to put butter and mayo on the same sandwich.

Fading Fast likes this.
  6. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

I know - it sounded crazy to me, but it works at least in this sammy.

scottyrocks likes this.
  7. Hercule

Hercule Practically Family

Tomatoes with mayo on toast.

scottyrocks and Bamaboots like this.
  8. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Got that right! I worked with Carol C., Joe’s wife for years at FGH before they sold the business. Two of the nicest kindest people i ever met. My family in Indy go crazy for pepperoni rolls and pepperoni cheeze bread when i go visit.
    Around here it’s breakfast. Lol
    Bowen

crawlinkingsnake likes this.
  9. SlyGI

SlyGI New in Town

I would have to say, a muffuletta that I had in New Orleans. I was born and raised in west Harris County and I went to school in Austin. I was a friends-with-benefits with a beautiful red head from New Orleans named Sara(h)--- I don't know if she put an h on the end or not. She took me to a place there and I age the best sandwich in my entire life. Hell, that was in the early 1990's and I still remember it. She was some woman too. For me, the one that I let slip away. I still often think of her, and the thoughts are always good. I hope she is happy now and has everything she ever desired.

Wow, that was mushy. Well, I'll post it anyway.

David Conwill likes this.
  10. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

Add in a slice or two of cheese and I'm golden!

11. Hercule

Hercule Practically Family

No, no, no, no, no, just salt and pepper, lots of pepper. There's too much damn cheese in this country. Everywhere you turn somebody wants to put cheese on something! Cheese may have its place but not on a tomato sandwich. And yes, grilled cheese and tomato (preferably with bacon) is something entirely different.

12. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

There is not too much cheese in this country!

cheesehead.jpg

Trenchfriend likes this.
  13. Dixie_Amazon

Dixie_Amazon Practically Family

A muffuletta from Nor-Joe Import Company in Metairie, LA with an ice cold beer.

14. Haversack

Haversack Practically Family

An MLT on toasted rye. That's a Mutton, Lettuce, & Tomato. The neighbor downstairs makes lamb bacon for this. Can only be enjoyed at its best during tomato season.

Dixie_Amazon and Trenchfriend like this.
  15. green papaya

green papaya One Too Many

tri tip sandwiches

Gyro Greek sandwich

BBQ pork sandwich

Pastrami sandwich

Shibumi likes this.
  16. Lefty W.

Lefty W. One of the Regulars

Shrimp po-boy, dressed, from Domilise's, uptown New Orleans, Louisiana.

17. Shibumi

Shibumi New in Town

Imported Prosciutto, fresh mozzarella, roasted red peppers & sun dried tomatoes, on a crusty piece of Italian bead, with a drizzle of cold pressed, unfiltered olive oil.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    scottyrocks likes this.
  18. Vera Godfrey

Vera Godfrey Practically Family

Oh yum! I love a good pepperoni roll! A friend from PA introduced me to them.

Is the mutton nice and lean and the tomato ripe? :)

I have two, but I eat neither one of them often. The first is a grilled cream cheese sandwich. Just like a regular grilled cheese only you slice 1/2" slices from a block of cream cheese to use as the filler. Sounds a bit odd, but it is delicious.

The second is from a local place and it's called "Mick". Essentially it's an oblong hamburger steak, served on a hoagie bun, with Thousand Island, cheese, lettuce, and tomato. Comes with crispy on the outside, tender on the inside fries and a Kosher pickle spear.

19. David Conwill

David Conwill Call Me a Cab

I looked up Domilise's menu but didn't see what "dressed" meant. Unless it means you eat the sandwich without removing your clothes, which seems like a good idea, generally. Just don't get remoulade on your tie.

Lefty W. likes this.
  20. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

As I was reading this my brain was pushing my eyes to the Location because I knew where someone would very likely be from who described that very dish. Very big here. haha

Shibumi likes this.