Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your first hat

RJR

Thank you for your confession. :)

Thirty years ago I was working as a waiter where the policy was everyone had to wear a hat, kind of like the "flair" thing in Office Space. I started with a hard hat and moved on to a straw western then added a light brown/yellow floppy fedora. Those two are lost to who knows where.

Fast forward, this year I decided to join the world of hat wearing. My first two are cotton twill, one from Duluth Trading and the other from Bass Pro.
View attachment 57824 View attachment 57825
I consider these my "training hats", just checking if I like wearing hats and the social reactions.

Now, while I'm waiting for my first real hat, i.e. a fur felt fedora from Batsake's (Gus Miller) (see below for felt/ribbon), I am considering ordering a felt semi-western from Duluth Trading. We don't all start with a rack of vintage Borsalinos.
View attachment 57826
True enough.

Now, while I'm waiting for my first real hat, i.e. a fur felt fedora from Batsake's (Gus Miller) (see below for felt/ribbon), I am considering ordering a felt semi-western from Duluth Trading. We don't all start with a rack of vintage Borsalinos.

I'd sa very few here do. Many go your route. My first "real" hat was a Selentino, sold to me by Mr. Miller. But even after that, I bought a woolie for traveling and a cheap Panama. It wasn't until I stumbled across my first vintage (a Disney) that I really got hooked.

That Gus Miller should be on your head soon, right?

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I got my first real hat in 2008, I wasn't that interested in them apart from some movie hats but I was visited by the archangel of dwindling testosterone one evening, who made me an offer I couldn't refuse. He whispered in my ear that I had a choice between 4 subjects of interest with which to occupy my spare time......Suburban gardening, model railways, gadgets or hats. I chose hats because of their practical aspect...............as he was leaving I did ask if there was a 5th option, he replied yes but he didn't think my case was that desperate.
So, my first hat was a khaki Australian wool felt scout hat ('The Johnson') it was similar in shape & dimensions to an Akubra Snowy River. That hat went through hell & I ended up making a large hole in the crown but I learnt an awful lot about shaping felt hats. :D...............I gave it a fitting send off on a camp fire, it's what he wanted.
My second hat, which I purchased just after the one above; was a leather hat but you don't want to hear about that. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
My first hat(s) were from my uncle, a Stetson with heathered felt (I believe), and a nice grey fedora with no names on tags or liner. It was my favorite of the two and when I wore it everyone asked me if it was a Stetson. I think my little brother used them and I don't know where they are now.

The first hat I bought on my own, other than camo hunting caps and ball caps is the Norm Thompson wool felt Mrs FedOregon is wearing in this picture.

Coincidentally, I'm wearing the first fur felt fedora I've purchased, a Penman Hats "Everyman" factory hat creased to look like the Indy 4, Crystal Skull hat.

i-2PjSzN7-M.jpg

My first hat(s) were from my uncle, a Stetson with heathered felt (I believe), and a nice grey fedora with no names on tags or liner. It was my favorite of the two and when I wore it everyone asked me if it was a Stetson. I think my little brother used them and I don't know where they are now.

The first hat I bought on my own, other than camo hunting caps and ball caps is the Norm Thompson wool felt Mrs FedOregon is wearing in this picture.

Coincidentally, I'm wearing the first fur felt fedora I've purchased, a Penman Hats "Everyman" factory hat creased to look like the Indy 4, Crystal Skull hat.

i-2PjSzN7-M.jpg

Looking good, you two!!

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I guess this was my first hat, inspired by my desire, at age 4, to be a cowboy like those guys on TV. Here I am with my grandmother and my sister at my grandparent's apartment in Oslo, Norway, 1963. I actually still have this hat floating around somewhere in the basement.

View attachment 47427
I had a silverbelly (light tan, anyway) Roy Rogers hat. It's long gone -- but I think I still have the beaded hatband; my mother saved it. I ran across it the other day. Let me see if I can bring it to work and take some pics to post.

Beyond that, the hat I've had the longest is this inexpensive "Casablanca," bought in the early or mid-90s at Meyer the Hatter. I had them customize it with a leather belt as a band instead of the ribbon:

Belted_Casablanca_04.jpg

RJR

I had a silverbelly (light tan, anyway) Roy Rogers hat. It's long gone -- but I think I still have the beaded hatband; my mother saved it. I ran across it the other day. Let me see if I can bring it to work and take some pics to post.

Beyond that, the hat I've had the longest is this inexpensive "Casablanca," bought in the early or mid-90s at Meyer the Hatter. I had them customize it with a leather belt as a band instead of the ribbon:

View attachment 57968
That band is perfect.

I'm discussing doing a custom with Mike of Northwest Hats, one with a little taller crown and perhaps a bit wider brim, to feature a belt-band like this one. Its look is why I've never been able to recycle, sell, or give it away, I suppose.
I am a fan of Mike. His website gives some excellent ideas of what can be done. He will make you the exact hat you are looking for.

tick...tick...tick...
The man is 84 years old. I'll wait. I'll be patient.

Oh, I wasn't implying anything. I ordered mine on a Saturday, and he called to tell me it was ready the Tuesday after the second Saturday. Of course, I had to wait until the next Saturday to go get it. Given the 3 month waits and longer for some customs, getting my Gus in less than three weeks was great.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
Oh, I wasn't implying anything. I ordered mine on a Saturday, and he called to tell me it was ready the Tuesday after the second Saturday. Of course, I had to wait until the next Saturday to go get it. Given the 3 month waits and longer for some customs, getting my Gus in less than three weeks was great.
I thought you were implying you owe me an adult beverage if I didn't get a call yesterday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21