Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your first hat

Well done, Doc!! Good planning (and super execution) to have created such a complete photo file at that time! Your mustache has filled in nicely. :cool: Great post, sir!

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
First felt hat (As an adult) was a Beaver Brand cowboy hat that I got in the late 1970s. It was damaged and lying around a hunting camp when I had a need for a hat. I rebuilt and reshaped it several times and still have it.
As it looks now:
IMG_4926%20%20Guide_zpsd1cauckk.jpg

But the first dress hat which I purchased was a Churchill that I bought on an assignment in Massachusetts a few years later. Got caught in a late Spring cold snap and bought hat, coat and gloves on sale at AO White.
IMG_3989_zpsseeolrif.jpg

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Got this one when I was 13, and I wore it a lot back then until I was around 17. I pretty well stopped wearing hats for about 20 years. My father found my hat a few years back when he moved.

IMG_1167.JPG

You can take the boy out of the black hat, but he'll just end up going back!

A

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I no longer have it but my dads old trilby(fedora). I sort of inherited it from the charity shop bag when he died in 79. Large brim, kept the rain snow and sun off me in all weathers. I never cleaned it but it lasted him and me for years, kind of sat on my dashboard of my delivery van, eventually succumbing to the elements it went all floppy and hapless, sort of looked like Jed Clampits in the end. I replaced it with a charity shop 1940s Howard Hughes style that had sat in the shop for years. No longer have that one either.
No one was really interested in things like this in the 1980s to early 90s. Shame like now, no more charity finds, they all end up on the dreaded eBay :( "Well we have to get the best prices for the charities" is a usual quote:confused:

Mm25

One Too Many
I guess this was my first hat, inspired by my desire, at age 4, to be a cowboy like those guys on TV. Here I am with my grandmother and my sister at my grandparent's apartment in Oslo, Norway, 1963. I actually still have this hat floating around somewhere in the basement.

View attachment 47427
Love it!

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
My first fedora was a wool Stetson Raider and the only one I owned until I stumbled upon this damn place.
I think the Indiana Jones character had quite a big influence on the resurgence of the fedora style hat becoming popular again. Certainly in England anyway.
Once upon a time you would see city gents wearing bowlers(derby) especially in London, not so now. the Avengers film, not being that great had no similar effect on wearing them, though in the 1960s 'John Steed' was considered the quintessential English Gentleman.

Knotten

Practically Family
That is such a wonderfully heartwarming picture!

Thanks, Bob. That was a wonderful place to be a kid (despite the look of boredom on my face in that photo). What I remember most are the smells in that kitchen, from the coffee to the toast to the never-ending line of good things my grandmother would cook during the day. Years later, when my aunt, the last one in that generation, died, I went over there, cleaned up the apartment and gave the key back to the landlord. The family had lived there 70 years. Toughest thing I've ever had to do.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Bob. That was a wonderful place to be a kid (despite the look of boredom on my face in that photo). What I remember most are the smells in that kitchen, from the coffee to the toast to the never-ending line of good things my grandmother would cook during the day. Years later, when my aunt, the last one in that generation, died, I went over there, cleaned up the apartment and gave the key back to the landlord. The family had lived there 70 years. Toughest thing I've ever had to do.
Wlcm Sir. That pic really touched me and I felt my fond grandmother memories too.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I was a fan and Emma Peel wasn't bad either.

Tara King myself ;) Then and now(they have recently repeated the whole of series 4,5, and 6)

I would love to be able to stroll into the City of London, traditional velvet collard covert coat over my Pierre Cardin suit in a bowler. I just can't cut it with my sausage sandwich scoffing biker figure though :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran