Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Most Disturbing Realizations

GHT

I'll Lock Up
It was only an Americanization.
You know it was just a wind up, I like the live & let live, presence of this forum. But those Americanizations you talk of, get a lot of kids into trouble at school on this side of the pond. Places like Google, Wiki & others, never bother to correct their spelling to Brit-English. So a student, looking up something on the internet, will often get caught out if they spell labour as labor, tyre as tire, Americanisation as Americanization.
It gets even funnier when a dance in America is described as The Shag. I can promise you it's not a dance over here, well on second thoughts, it could be a bedroom tango.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
You know it was just a wind up,

Yep of course I did, no problemization there :D I also know that Bolero has a great sense of humo(u)r & would take my comment in the light-hearted manner it was intended.:)

It gets even funnier when a dance in America is described as The Shag. I can promise you it's not a dance over here, well on second thoughts, it could be a bedroom tango.

Bolero

A-List Customer
Yep of course I did, no problemization there :D I also know that Bolero has a great sense of humo(u)r & would take my comment in the light-hearted manner it was intended.:)

Warning: Humor may be hazardous to your illness......

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The college kids and teenagers of the late thirties, who came up with dances called "The Shag" and "The Big Apple" had absolutely no idea that there could possibly be any sexual connotation to those dances, because, as we all know, every last one of them was as pure, innocent, and clean as the driven snow.
;)

...But those Americanizations you talk of, get a lot of kids into trouble at school on this side of the pond. Places like Google, Wiki & others, never bother to correct their spelling to Brit-English. So a student, looking up something on the internet, will often get caught out if they spell labour as labor, tyre as tire, Americanisation as Americanization...
So you're saying it's our fault that the English don't know how to spell? :D

...It gets even funnier when a dance in America is described as The Shag. I can promise you it's not a dance over here, well on second thoughts, it could be a bedroom tango.
A.K.A. the "horizontal mambo".

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
^^^
Humor vs. humour in British English.

Humor derives from latin humor, not humour. Hence the extra
u is completely redundant, and the American spelling is more etymologically correct. :p

GHT

I'll Lock Up
^^^
Humor vs. humour in British English.

Humor derives from latin humor, not humour. Hence the extra
u is completely redundant, and the American spelling is more etymologically correct. :p
And what would color derive from?
In 1806, Noah Webster published his first dictionary, A Compendious Dictionary of the English Language. It included an essay on the oddities of modern orthography and his proposals for reform. Many of the spellings he used, such as color and center, would become hallmarks of American English. In 1807 Webster began compiling an expanded dictionary. It was published in 1828 as An American Dictionary of the English Language. Although it drew some protest, the reformed spellings were gradually adopted throughout the United States.
I'm not suggesting that either is right or wrong. How often has it been said that we are two nations divided by the same language?

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I”m sure you can determine what part of England the
people come from by the way they speak.

An English person only has to say " Good morning" & one can tell from which county & sometimes even which town or city, he hails from, his class, his academic achievements, what newspaper he reads & what he had for breakfast...:D

GHT

I'll Lock Up
An English person only has to say " Good morning" & one can tell from which county & sometimes even which town or city, he hails from, his class, his academic achievements, what newspaper he reads & what he had for breakfast...:D
Then it's better that I keep my mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it and remove all doubt.

And because of Tabac Original EdC., my lovely winterscarf smells lovely after it, impregnated from the beginning. Yummy! :) Christmas can't beat that, for real!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think that's a bit sad, actually. Taking all of the beautiful accents around the world into consideration, with regards to the English language being spoken I can't think of any that sound worse than American accents.

Aw, that's harsh. A Titus Moody-style Maine accent is a thing of beauty and a joy forever. So is a genuine 1930's style Brooklyn accent, if you can find one anywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou