Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Most Disturbing Realizations

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Do suppose this is the original “fifth” beatle ? :(
2ujr3tw.jpg

MOE HOWARD !

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
All true, but my point was that Edison was not working in an intellectual vacuum. He didn't "invent" so much as build on a foundation that others had already laid -- adding to the collective science on acoustics rather than creating something independently. He had most of the theoretical work already done for him -- he knew that a vibrating stylus could be used to leave a trail in a compliant material because this had already been well-established, and Charles Cros in France even beat him to the punch by working out a theoretical model for sound reproduction. Had Edison not chosen to work on this particular project, it was only a matter of time -- short time -- before someone else accomplished it, because the collective understanding of the science involved had reached a critical level.

Yes, and the Egyptians could have easily built a machine such as the Phinograoh in the millennium before the birth of Christ, but they did not, because to do so occurred did not occur to them.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
My sincere respects to the first person to have jumped out wearing a parachute.

The same applies to the brave soul who first ate an oyster.

And who decided that onions was considered as something to eat ? :mad:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
My sincere respects to the first person to have jumped out wearing a parachute.

The same applies to the brave soul who first ate an oyster.

And who decided that onions was considered as something to eat ? :mad:
Imagine the hunger of the first man to look upon a lobster and say "You know, that thing looks tasty!"

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
^^^
You've mentioned a "Cream of Wheat” ad & how it scared you growing up.

Mine was the flying huge cockroaches that would land on my bed sheets.
I had this scary thought of them crawling in my mouth when I was asleep.

I know...I know !

At least I didn’t wake being hungry...right? :(

Last edited:
I find it astonishing, that old-fashioned mens-nightshirts are still available!

But, is there maybe any advantage, in compare to normal pyjamas? Some men around here, who can tell about?

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I find it astonishing, that old-fashioned mens-nightshirts are still available!

But, is there maybe any advantage, in compare to normal pjyamas? Some men around here, who can tell about?

Much more comfortable, especially in a chilly house. A night cap is a comfort, too, in the very coldest weather, particulalarly if one is heating with solid fuel. The furnace always seems to go out by morning on those very cold sub-zero nights. It is a great convenience that these days natural gas is considerably less than expensive per BTU than coal, even soft coal. Even so, I set the furnace way back at night. I like a cold room, and why heat the house at night?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
A couple of weeks ago I was told the news that a fellow motorcycle rider had passed away from natural causes. While not totally unexpected since he was 92, it is still a shock! He was a gunner in the 8th Air Force, B-17s and the last WWII veteran that I personally new. All of them are gone now, My Dad, Uncles, friends of my Dad, and the others I have known. While there are a few, like Chuck Yeager, that I meant that are still alive, I was not on a first name basses with them and only talked to them once in passing. It is a shock!

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
Generation cometh and generation passeth away. I can remember when the last Civil War vets died. The last WWI vets died only recently. The WWII generation is going fast and my Vietnam War contemporaries are starting to die of natural causes. It's in the nature of war that when the war is over, almost all of the veterans are still very young men, so they stay around for a long time and have great political influence in later years. From the GAR to the VFW, vet's organizations have wielded tremendous clout. Nearly all of my elder male relatives were WWII vets. I still think of WWII as "the War,"because that's how they all referred to it.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I once had the honor of meeting Mr. David Lee “Tex” Hill of the Flying Tigers
when I worked for television news.
It was brief. Looking back, I wished I had taken more time
with him.
Another encounter was Mr. Bob Hope in Guam in the late ‘60s.
He made us feel good.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I once had the honor of meeting Mr. David Lee “Tex” Hill of the Flying Tigers
when I worked for television news.
It was brief. Looking back, I wished I had taken more time
with him.
Another encounter was Mr. Bob Hope in Guam in the late ‘60s.
He made us feel good.
I guarantee, Tex would have talked your ear off! I still remember his big smile and that Hawaiian shirt with Flying Tigers and AVG print! Sadly, he's gone to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic