Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zipped vs Non-Zipped Sleeves

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
This question pertains to the Aero Highwayman.
I know it comes with Non-Zipped sleeves with an inner wool cuff.
I also know that some folks order it with zipped sleeves, ala motorcycle jackets.
Just wondering what the benefits/drawbacks of each are?
Any real life experiences are very welcome.
Thanks,
Lenny

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
I dont have any experience with the Highwayman, but zipped sleeves on my Irvin are really good if you need to cool off a bit, crank open the zips and let some of the heat out. Plus the zips just look cool :D

I have alot of zip sleeve MC jackets...but rarely use the zips for anything. I do like the looks of zippered sleeves and considered them for my new Bootlegger that's on order. However,my Highwayman has the inner wool cuffs..and just seems to slip off and on so easy. Also..no draft up the sleeve whatsoever. I really see no drawbacks to either style. I think it mainly comes down to what looks the best to you.
HD

Zipping sleeves is primarily for slimming the sleeves so gauntleted gloves go over them, keeping the wind from going up there while riding you cycle. I have MC jackets with & without them but my gauntlets do seem to fit better on those with...JMHO

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
Here's my take on it...

Motorcycle jackets have tight tapered arms so when zipped up wind and rain can't get in. A zip is the easiest way to open them up to get your hand through. I have an old 50's cop jacket that's like this, you can't get it on or off if the zips are shut. I only do them up when riding in bad weather, the rest of the time they're undone so make little difference.

Peacoat

Bartender
Zippererd sleeves are often associated with motorcycle jackets because they can be zipped for slipping gauntlet gloves over them when the temps are cool, or they can be open to allow airflow when it is warmer. They do give a more tapered look when zipped, which some find more appealing. I like the standard Highwayman sleeves on my Highwayman and the zipped sleeves on my traditional motorcycle jackets. As HD said above, the Highwayman storm cuffs block the air from entering, which is a real assest in cold weather. But if you like the tapered sleeves on a Highwayman, do it. The zipped sleeve will probably block much of the air from entering anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR