Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zipper handedness conversion

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I have a jacket with a brass, left handed zip, that I would like to change to right handed operation.

I understand that this can be done by removing the box stop and sliding the pull off, and then re-installing on the other side.

Questions:

Does this require special tools, for removing the box stop or re-installing?
Does this weaken the zipper?

robrinay

One Too Many
Depends on the zipper as some have soldered stop boxes. Also it's unlikely you could press the stop box on as securely as the maker if you could remove it. Another option is to have the zipper taken out and replaced left to right. The simplest advice however is 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Depends on the zipper as some have soldered stop boxes. Also it's unlikely you could press the stop box on as securely as the maker if you could remove it. Another option is to have the zipper taken out and replaced left to right. The simplest advice however is 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'.

It ain't broke, but it's definitely harder to work a left handed zipper if you're a right handed person who's accustomed to using right handed zippers. Removing and replacing the entire zipper isn't really an option for me, either.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I recently bought a jacket with a left handed zip. If definitely takes a bit of getting used to after working with right-handed zips all my life, and I'm left-handed!

robrinay

One Too Many
At 64 I'm old enough to have been a left handed before I went to school but right handed since - the silly culture in those days encouraged lefties to practice being a righty. Consequently I'm not quite fully ambidextrous but for zips I am. Little did I know how useful this would be when I started collecting leather jackets! As my good mate once said jokingly-
" I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!"

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have always had zips on both sides (here everything's a mix of European and American) - I don't notice any difference in putting them on. I vote, just get used to it. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy