Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ушанканатор - USHANKANATOR .... bring it on!!!!!!

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
I wear mine flaps down when my ears get cold. That's the purpose of the design after all. I can assure you that I've never been accused of being "unmanly" when I had the flaps down. On the contrary, I receive many envious looks and offers to buy the hat right off my head!

I think the "Elmer Fudd" woolen hat looks much sillier with the flaps down than the ushanka. But i would not begrudge anyone protection from frostbitten ears, no matter how silly it might look. All the hats look better than earmuffs after all.

A someone with a severe allergy to cats, I can only imagine the agony of wearing a cat-fur hat in the cold. It would negate the effort to avoid getting sick from exposure.

I checked out the site with seal-fur hats. Their Aviator hats looked pretty interesting (and available in a wide variety of pelts).

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
It's -6 degree celcius where I live. Did anyone put their earflaps down yet? I didn't yet.

Last edited:

Leacock

Familiar Face
I wouldn't. Not until you end up -20 or more and there is a cold wind. But I suppose whenever you feel that your ears are beginning to suffer damage is reasonable as well. Even pulled down they don't look as bad as those Elmer Fudd hats as noted earlier.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
I agree, real men should not put down their ear flaps until - 15 degree Celsius (not including wind chill).

I also follow the same etiquette as a fedora user. One time I took my Ushanka off when I entered an elevator. With a lady entering behind me, she smilled and took her hat off.

Last edited:

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
The weather in Shanghai turned colder with the New Year. Walking around town, I'm seeing many people wearing ushankas, although none with the flaps down. I don't feel like it's quite cold enough for mine yet. So far, my felts are still keeping me warm enough. But my furry friend may come out soon if weather trends plunge lower in temperature or higher in wind velocity.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
With ear flaps up, I can wear my Ushanka in 10 degree celcius weather.
Comrades, tommorow we're getting -30 degree celcius weather tommorow, I think it's time for ear flaps.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
On Sunday my Family went to Ikea for cheap breakfast and ended up getting ice cream before leaving the store. -26C out that day. Lower with the wind-chill. All I have been wearing is my Ushanka for the last few weeks. Can't see any point in changing it out till the weather changes.
Johnny

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
The avatar is pretty funny.

The weather has gotten a bit colder here lately in Shanghai and I have seen a few people with the ear flaps down. However, we've been nowhere near the temperatures that you and Johnny are enduring in Canada.

I have yet to get out my ushanka. It hasn't gotten too cold for my fuzzy grey Optimo felt yet. I m hoping for a couple of days when I can wear it this winter. I did use it nonstop last year when I visited Beijing at New Year's.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Here in Toronto it averages -10 degree celcius, as you can see that's not really cold. You could do flaps up at 0 degree celcius and still be fine, or wear a fedora... It's up to you =).

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Dang I just googled the weather at shangai, 1 to 10 degree celcius average lol. I would choose an ushanka with flaps up or a felt.

I've my worn my Ushanka at -20 degree celcius plus windchill.

With the flaps up of course.

I'm a real muzhiki =D.

Last edited:

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Little bit of a winter break. Warm weather for the last few weeks. But a cold snap is coming so I looked out my Ushanka… and its Torn! Dang it! Leather split at the back where the ear flaps angles to the back section. Now I can’t complain, the hat is over 15 years old and I did get it from my old man so I didn’t pay for it. Has this happened to anyone else? Is it just cheaply made? It is Marks Work Wear house brand so I doubt it is high quality.

Now what to replace it with? I am on a budget but I want something nice that will last me for years. Any recommendations?
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo