Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ушанканатор - USHANKANATOR .... bring it on!!!!!!

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Very helpful, thank you!

I'm very style conscious, I've been studying classic men's style for the last year, and I think I've learned all the basics. All I need to do is buy my first suit, and tux. And get them tailored. To be honest, I'll probably wear my suit everday at school, I simply don't care =).

I'm like Steve Jobs, but more stylish.

I wear the same indigo Levi jeans (they fit really well, almoet like bespoke), a zip up charcoal sweater which covers my neck, a medium grey 3/4 overcoat, black leather gloves, black Rockport leather shoes wth a rubber sole, and a black sheepskin Ushanka.

And I also carry a black leather briefcase.

I wear this combo everday atm.

What I'm thinking about buying next are Park Avenues, in the summer, grey felt Fedora in the fall, then I'll buy a charcoal suit and a tux eventually.

I'm just assuming that everyone here is well dressed since back then, men wore fedoras with nice clothes.

I can't go to the states at all unfortunately due to financial reasons, I'll prob spend around 200 bucks just to shop around lol. I'm a size 8.5 and the max ill pay is 500$.

Oh, and I have 5 exact pairs of the same sweater and jeans.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I've had a couple of ushanki (a wartime issued 'fishfur' cap in a wearable 57-58 and a postwar officer's sheepskin in a 57) for around 5 years and swear by them, particularly in the recent snow.
The ear flaps certainly came down in Volgograd (-28C with a biting wind... :/ ) regardless of what it said about me...

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
Wow. I didn't realize Northwest was offering full customs under $200. That's a super deal. I don't own one of their hats yet, but all the ones I've seen on the Lounge are great looking.

If there is a hat store anywhere near you, you should go in and try on a bunch of hats to see what you like. Even if you don't find something good at the shop, you will certainly have a clearer idea what to ask for in an online or custom order.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
I've had a couple of ushanki (a wartime issued 'fishfur' cap in a wearable 57-58 and a postwar officer's sheepskin in a 57) for around 5 years and swear by them, particularly in the recent snow.
The ear flaps certainly came down in Volgograd (-28C with a biting wind... :/ ) regardless of what it said about me...

Good to hear!

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
As you can see from my profile pic. My Ushanka sits at the middle of my forehead.

Make sure you size up 1 or 2 when buying an ushanka =).

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
With the flaps down, the Ushanka feels more looser. I can cover my entire forhead more easily wih the flaps down.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Oh, I really like the look of The Federation IV in Moonlight Stone. I've been researching the hat and I think that it should be my first felt.

I have 2 common questions about the felt,

I'm a size 57 cm. Should I size up? I've heard that I can attach foam in the hat to make it fit more snug.

Will I survive if I wear a felt in the summer heat? I think a felt is better then no hat at all.

And do I need one of those brushes to clean my hat?

Should I get a hat stretcher? Just incase of shrinkage. And I might stretch my Ushanka when I'm at it =).

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
The Akubra Fed is a great hat that is both tough and stylish. You will enjoy wearing it.

For sizing questions, email the folks at Hats Direct. They will tell you the right size. If I recall correctly, the Fed runs a half size small, so you order the next size up from your usual. Then the sweatband will shrink to fit your head over the course of the first few months (sweaty summer days can speed up the process). The hat comes with a strip of rubbery stuff to pad the sweatband for size until it begins to conform over time.

I don't know how hot summers are in Toronto. Summer is VERY hot in Shanghai, but my Fed is still my go-to hat on rainy days (sunny summer days I wear straw).

The wide brim protects you from the sun and the light-colored felt stays cooler than a dark brown or black hat.

A good hat brush is a worthwhile investment for any hat wearer. You can find them at reasonable prices from many hat retailers. Mine came from David Morgan. I also own a hat stretcher, although I don't find that I need it very often. Other Loungers swear by theirs.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What king Andrew said. My first Akubra was a federation that was my go to hat for two years. Check out the akubra overload section, also the western hat section has been talking about akubra hats lately as well. As a canadian it is probably cheaper to get them from Australia.
Johnny

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Thanks guys. During the summer, I'll definitely buy one =). I hope I don't get addicted to these hats. I think I'm already in love with my ushanka lol.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
I'm currently in the pricess of exchanging my Ushanka to a size 60. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I'm really impressed by Ushanka.com's customer service, I definitely reccomend them as your first winter hat.

Remember to size up 2 sizes or cm's.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
I tried a few AE Park Avenue's, unfortunately the instep is to low. I have high instep. I'm going to get a derby instead of an Oxford instead.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
I just received my size 60 ushanka.

Wow.

It fits perfectly now, I believe it was stretched and dry clean though, but who cares lol.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
here is something for winter ....
ushankanator.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner