Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1920s suits

Am I seeing things, or are there rear darts? See 3rd stripe in from side seam at waist level.

IMG_2007_zps67bc7e27.jpg

bk

Qirrel

Practically Family
Indeed, four rear darts.

I only see two.
Combined with the sloppy cutting work they make the back look like a mess. I'm inclined to think that they are not original. On one of the pictures on a previous page it looks like they have been cut through, exposing the raw edge. All the other seams are taped.

Burma Schave

One of the Regulars
I only see two.
Combined with the sloppy cutting work they make the back look like a mess. I'm inclined to think that they are not original. On one of the pictures on a previous page it looks like they have been cut through, exposing the raw edge. All the other seams are taped.

Qirrel, the darts are not original. We must keep in mind that these suits had been in a movie studio's wardrobe collection for 80+ years. How many times they have been altered, unaltered, and re-altered by wardrobe seamstresses is anybody's guess.

Last edited:

Burma Schave

One of the Regulars
Here's one final photo of the first 1920s suit in action.

374470_10200651427227504_439625212_n_zps8ead2d37.jpg

Below is a middish 1920s suit (1924-'26, maybe?) that is not part of the film studio wardrobe collection. Seems to be a plum color.

ebay11_zps392986c5.jpg

ebay12_zpsd9f3765b.jpg

ebay14_zps65b20e4c.jpg

ebay13_zps2a755618.jpg

ebay16_zpsc3d91dcb.jpg

ebay15_zpsb39cdffa.jpg

ebay17_zpsf4c32c01.jpg

The lining is made of an alpaca wool blend, which was typical of 1920s American suits. British suit makers continued to use alpaca lining for a decade or so longer.

ebay18_zps8d767ff6.jpg

ebay19_zpse96b3b48.jpg

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
How wide are the trousers? The width makes me think that the suit would be from post 1925 when the wide-legged look became popular.
(That said, press reports that i have seen from the USA talk about wide legged trousers spreading from the UK in late 1925. However, I have also seen other reports talking about wide trousers being popular in the USA prior to 1925, with some sources claiming that the 'Oxford bags' fashion was actually inspired by an early twenties wide-legged fashion in the USA. Sometimes fashion history is just too uncertain and confusing).

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great suits and pictures, Burma Schave and TT. Thanks for sharing.

If you every wondered what to do with the belt when wearing the jacket open...
tumblr_miokn6PgQM1qg8r34o1_500.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Title says: "Claudette Colbert & Norman Foster in the 1927 Broadway play The Barker"
The gal from "It happened one night", you know?

@ Baron: I say so too but nobody listens. :D

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
"Claudette Colbert & Norman Foster in the 1927 Broadway play The Barker"
The gal from "It happened one night", you know?

Thanks. She looked familiar - but didn't recognize immediately it's her. The photo looked "actorish".

Another non-suit, I'm afraid, but dated 1924, and British. My lilac boating blazer. I'm not sure if Angels made it, or acquired it sometime later. I got it from a small theatre wardrobe dept, via eBay. I hope the picture of the button gives an idea of how soft and fuzzy the fabric is!

lilacboatingblazer1.jpg

lilacboatingblazer2.jpg

lilacboatingblazer3.jpg

lilacboatingblazer4.jpg

lilacboatingblazer5.jpg

lilacboatingblazer6.jpg

The bottom label here looks like another wardrobe department label. The BBC wardrobe dept. labels are similar in style/code-type etc.

lilacboatingblazer7.jpg

lilacboatingblazer8.jpg

lilacboatingblazer9.jpg

I think these arm liners are later additions. Under them, the arms are lined in the same material used for the pocketbags. [EDIT] through a hole in the liner, I see that the whole jacket is done like this, with each panel backed by this cotton twill. So, no evidence that the arm liners are replacements.

lilacboatingblazer10.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran