Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-1 Jacket / A1 Flying Jacket - The ultimate Golden Era flying accessory!

John Lever

One Too Many
No, they use buttons, snaps are for pocket I think.

They are much smaller and different in colour to the buttons on the neck then. They look odd to me.

If you want to buy an item how do you pay, is there some kind of registration required ?

Last edited:

zhz

Practically Family
They are much smaller and different in colour to the buttons on the neck then. They look odd to me.

If you want to buy an item how do you pay, is there some kind of registration required ?

I know it is looks different, but it is button thats my point. Never said it is an accurate repro. And I agree with you that A1 looks odd.
If you want to buy from Taobao, you have to register first, and also you need alipay to pay I think. which similar to paypal. TBH, I am still try to work out how to buy from outside China...

bentusian

One of the Regulars

It is quite evident that their leather A-1 mostly uses dot-snaps except on the knitted collar.
Even their G-1/M-422 seems to use snaps on the front pockets and for the throat fastener where normal buttons are supposed to be used.

I would look for a proxy shopping service to buy items from Taobao, such as this: http://www.bhiner.com/

zhz

Practically Family
It is quite evident that their leather A-1 mostly uses dot-snaps except on the knitted collar.
Even their G-1/M-422 seems to use snaps on the front pockets and for the throat fastener where normal buttons are supposed to be used.

I would look for a proxy shopping service to buy items from Taobao, such as this: http://www.bhiner.com/

Thats true, the button issue has been discussed in a Chinese forum as well.

I would not use that proxy for only one reason, they use a mobile phone number instead of a landline on the website.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
According to their website, they accept Visa, Master except those issued in Washinton State. There is a limit on the amount. You need to verify your card to raise the limit.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Call me crazy, but isn't that the jacket De Niro wore in "Taxi Driver" with that faux Marine jump wings patch?

d218b55c0935bab86f6cef96e8560534.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edward

Bartender
Call me crazy, but isn't that the jacket De Niro wore in "Taxi Driver" with that faux Marine jump wings patch?

d218b55c0935bab86f6cef96e8560534.jpg

Different jacket. The one Bobby De Niro wore was a cloth jacket, at least based on the second pattern WW2 US Army Tanker jacket. If it was the real thing, it had been relined; at several points in the film you can see that the lining is a burgundy, quilted nylon rather than the issue grey wool. The one thing that makes me thing it might have been a genuine jacket relined is that the zips, at least in that and otherf photos, on his jacket appear to stop midway up the knit collar, a feature of the originals which many repros get wrong. UIt laso has the high level slash-handwarmer pockets, which again many repros place too low.(I also wonder if there actually were any repros on the market in the early 70s when this costume item would have been sourced.) Anyhow, I'm digressing. The short anser is no, it's not an A1.

bentusian

One of the Regulars
Actually, I was speaking of this one...

Yes there are multiple brands out there that make 'Taxi Driver Tanker Jacket', from cheap to high-end, with those patches and stencil on the back. Or you can buy only the patch set and decorate your own tanker.
But as far as I know it was only RMJP who makes (or used to make) the jacket correct to every detail such as purple colored quilt lining and all. I think RMJP actually owns the copyright.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Yes there are multiple brands out there that make 'Taxi Driver Tanker Jacket', from cheap to high-end, with those patches and stencil on the back. Or you can buy only the patch set and decorate your own tanker.
But as far as I know it was only RMJP who makes (or used to make) the jacket correct to every detail such as purple colored quilt lining and all. I think RMJP actually owns the copyright.

Interesting. I have to say that I'm surprised that that particular jacket would be all that popular.

I remember seeing the movie and thinking that it was a shame that they had to choose such fake looking patches on a non VN era jacket. But I guess that it became sort of a self generating icon.

Anyway, thanks for the illumination!

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wonder if anyone had purchased an A-1 from Doursoux. Any comments? Their US Army boots are by Corcoran. Wonder who made their jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner