Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adventurebilt order - slipped through the cracks?

vintage68

Practically Family
I never thought that Adventurebilt operated very professionally.

This is not personal mind you, but in my view it is simply not professional to take an order for a hat (they don't tell you when you order what the current wait time is), then not respond to multiple emails, phone calls, or to give any kind of status updates on your order.

They're busy, fine. They get hundreds of emails daily, fine. Then set up a process to deal with that kind of volume, or politely decline further orders until you can operate more efficiently.

Some will tell you that your Paypal receipt is proof of your order and that you should just relax, but what happens when months or even a year goes by and you still have no confirmation? Things do fall through the cracks.

I was very persistent and finally got through. The attitude I got was very indignant, like how dare I have the audacity to question the process. My opinion: Asking someone to drop $400 and have faith that you'll eventually get the hat is not professional.

If they are backlogged to the point that hat orders take over a year (my experience) to fill, then orders need to be cancelled and money refunded without having to ask.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
If they are backlogged to the point that hat orders take over a year (my experience) to fill, then orders need to be cancelled and money refunded without having to ask.

I've probably talked to 6 different hatters with at least a one year wait list. I wonder what they do as far as communication is.

ehtyva

New in Town
What he really ought to do is set up a panel that he can use to keep customers informed of the status of their order, verify payment went through, and keep track of help requests in a ticket system.

I'm sure the minor investment would be well-worth the customer satisfaction it provides.

I emailed Steve nearly a month ago just to find out if he's still taking orders as usual (because of the backlog and I believe he posted about retiring) and haven't heard back.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
My experience ordering my AB Deluxe from Marc Kitter was the exact opposite. Very professional, great communication. It may be worth some extra bucks just to have piece of mind. Oh, and the hat ain't bad either...;)

Cheers,
JtL

ehtyva

New in Town
jimmy the lid said:
My experience ordering my AB Deluxe from Marc Kitter was the exact opposite. Very professional, great communication. It may be worth some extra bucks just to have piece of mind. Oh, and the hat ain't bad either...;)

Cheers,
JtL

The last time I did the conversion that's uh...quite a few extra bucks :p

swisslet

New in Town
ehtyva said:
The last time I did the conversion that's uh...quite a few extra bucks :p

not if you're based in Europe ;-)

I ordered mine on 7/7. Only 13 months and a few weeks left to wait!

MAB1

Suspended
That's ridiculous. Just my opine. I'm too impatient to wait that long.

And besides that, I think the guy's a conceited jerk, after seeing him attack the Akubra Adventurer folk. I don't have the money or the time for people like that.

I'm sure that the AB's are nice hats but... Why would anybody prop up an arrogant ... whatever... like that? Oooh Adventurebilt, oooooh.

Ya ever heard this, "Build it and they will come." ??? Well, build the damn things. If ya don't... they'll quit coming.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Again, with AB the process simply is part of it. If you don't like that don't order or you can ask for a refund. Steve clearly has enough demand without needing to implent all the suggestions that are so freely forthcoming.

And as PanamaBob said, wait times for custom items are simply part of the process. I once ordered a custom mandolin that I waited three years for. Not long after I ordered the luthier stopped taking orders at all. Look into the custom instrument market if you want to see wait times.

As for AB Deluxe, I'm pretty sure I saw on COW that Marc is quoting a 14 month wait time now, but don't hold me to that.

For those wanting a quick AB fix there is now a factory AB option produced to Marc's specs in Europe. Turnaround is weeks rather than months. I'm sure it's a fine hat.

Edit: Just saw the above post. Steve has always been very supportive of Akubra, particularly the Federation. I think his problem is with the Morgans rather than with Akubra.

Mark G

A-List Customer
I am in the custom instrument business, and I agree custom built anything takes time. I also think that the customer should expect a certain degree of communication with the maker. When I get a client, I feel I owe that person a degree of respect. I am selling myself as much as I am my product and they chose me over other luthiers in a very crowded landscape. I not only keep in touch but send pictures of the progress as well. I also usually state a completion time that is over what I feel will be the actual time. It gives me a cushion (Murphy was an optimist).

One of the things I like about Art Fawcett is he's very good about keeping you informed and has a great product (the fact that his prices are reasonable is a plus, but to me, is not the deciding factor).

Mark G

A-List Customer
Alan, I make steel string acoustics, with a few ukulele's and electrics thrown in the mix. You can see a link to my website in my profile.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
MAB1 said:
That's ridiculous. Just my opine. I'm too impatient to wait that long.

And besides that, I think the guy's a conceited jerk, after seeing him attack the Akubra Adventurer folk. I don't have the money or the time for people like that.

I'm sure that the AB's are nice hats but... Why would anybody prop up an arrogant ... whatever... like that? Oooh Adventurebilt, oooooh.

Ya ever heard this, "Build it and they will come." ??? Well, build the damn things. If ya don't... they'll quit coming.

With all due respect MAB1, you won't find too much support in your opinion of Steve from those of us that truly know him. Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, however Steve has more than paid his dues around here and at Club Obi Wan. I've known Steve for about 9 years and he's anything but a conceited jerk. Outspoken--definitely, but not in anyway is he what you describe him as.
Since you are a fairly new member here you don't know any of Steve's history or background with this hobby, if you did and if you are a person with any sort of appreciation for hard work and dedication you would be ashamed of your statments.
If you are that impatient for a quality custom hat I'd suggest you go to hatsdirect.com and order a Federation Deluxe. While there you'll notice on their website how they speak very highly of Steve.

fedoralover

They complained about Leonardo Da Vinci and Michaelanglo too!

MAB1 said:
That's ridiculous. Just my opine. I'm too impatient to wait that long. And besides that, I think the guy's a conceited jerk, after seeing him attack the Akubra Adventurer folk. I don't have the money or the time for people like that. I'm sure that the AB's are nice hats but... Why would anybody prop up an arrogant ... whatever... like that? Oooh Adventurebilt, oooooh. Ya ever heard this, "Build it and they will come." ??? Well, build the damn things. If ya don't... they'll quit coming.

Hugh Beaumont

One of the Regulars
I personally will never order from AB (Steve) because of how he handled a friend who ordered the Indy fedora, waited over a year (hat was promised for the premiere)...which came and went without a word, and no responses to emails.

When my friend went public, Steve finally responded by giving him a refund and telling him his hat was just a week from being finished.... :rolleyes:

My friend didn't want a refund....just an update.

It was a terrible way to handle a simple situation.

If he can't handle the business, then he shouldn't be in business. Hire someone to handle customer relations for crying out loud. People expected a long wait for their hat. Give them the common courtesy of updating them regularly or if you fall behind schedule. It ain't hard.

analogist

One of the Regulars
Role of a Bartender?

AlanC said:
Again, with AB the process simply is part of it. If you don't like that don't order or you can ask for a refund. Steve clearly has enough demand without needing to implent all the suggestions that are so freely forthcoming.

And as PanamaBob said, wait times for custom items are simply part of the process. I once ordered a custom mandolin that I waited three years for. Not long after I ordered the luthier stopped taking orders at all. Look into the custom instrument market if you want to see wait times.

As for AB Deluxe, I'm pretty sure I saw on COW that Marc is quoting a 14 month wait time now, but don't hold me to that.

For those wanting a quick AB fix there is now a factory AB option produced to Marc's specs in Europe. Turnaround is weeks rather than months. I'm sure it's a fine hat.

Edit: Just saw the above post. Steve has always been very supportive of Akubra, particularly the Federation. I think his problem is with the Morgans rather than with Akubra.

Alan C;

Perhaps you can set me straight. Why are you so zealously defending the business practices of a merchant who for the last year and change has contributed nothing to this forum and has acted in a business manner far less than either courteous or professional towards members of the Fedora Lounge?

I somehow felt that as a moderator, your role would be a facilatator rather than an advocate.

True, Steve from my point of view makes a fine hat and I even own four of them. I had ordered six but have not ever had the courtesy of having any correspondence answered about the other two.

I have had a commercial issues with a VERY few FL folks and an e-mail to a bartender has always resolved the issue.

When Steve Delk told the Lounge Administrators and members what he thought of this forum, everybody was apalled. People were wringing their hands and asking how a member who contributed so much to the knowledege base about hats could do this to us? After that, for all intents and purposes, he abandoned the Lounge and many of its members. My dealings with Steve prior to his "abandonement" were all very fine and I again state he makes a really nifty hat, BUT, his business practices leave quite a bit to be desired.

We have hatters who contribute regularly to the Lounge, sharing their thoughts and their knowledge and treating their customers fairly and who deliver. Why does a person who is as elusive as Judge Crater receive such a vigorous defence and fortified advocacy?

analogist

MattJH

One Too Many
Regardless of anything else, the fact that this thread exists at all is bad customer service news for Adventurebilt. Good companies address basic problems like a group of customers complaining that they don't know where their $350 - $400 went. By this time in the thread, there should've already been a response from Steve Delk regardless of anything that happened in the past, even if it was just "Sorry, the movie set me back significantly and I've been poor at responding to emails. I'll catch up as soon as I can, and be confident that your order will be filled."

Due to monetary reasons, I recently went for an Akubra Federation III Deluxe instead of an Adventurebilt. After reading this thread (and handling the Deluxe), I'm relieved that I did. I'm not going to be the only one with this sentiment, either, and that's unfortunate.

Worthy of note: I emailed Marc Kitter on July 9th with a series of questions about the Adventurebilt Deluxe. He replied in kind within 24 hours, even with his 14 month workload. Let's be careful not to involuntarily tarnish the Adventurebilt Deluxe name. If only they were more affordable, I'd own one right now. I don't have any beaver felt hats.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Okay, gents, I want everyone to be clear that I did my very best to choose my words carefully and diplomatically when starting this thread. While I don't think there is any reason to specifically call him a conceited jerk, I can't see any ACTIVE reason to defend him. The comment that frustrates me more than any others, is the following:

AlanC said:
Steve clearly has enough demand without needing to implent all the suggestions that are so freely forthcoming.
AlanC said:
There is a number of reasons why this is wrong, including the fact that a clear disclosure regarding the wait on his website might discourage some customers - I almost wonder if that is why it is NOT there.

Further, it is BECAUSE of the demand that he ought to implement some of these gentlemen's suggestions regarding customer service. It is not to garner more customers, but rather, to satisfy the customers you already have. If the argument is that those customers should be satisfied with zero communication and uncertainly, when then - you're wrong. And I very rarely say that catagorically.

My father ordered a knife with a four-year wait. His order was confirmed, and he was updated once a year, every year at the same time, and notified when the product was due to start.

I don't know anything at all about the man personally. For those of you who do - great. But please be aware that most rest of us haven't been treated with any respect at all.

After much discussion, we've decided that we would rather work with someone who will be more communicative. We're going to opt for the refund - provided we can get through to get that confirmed.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^Glad I could oblige with my comment.

Clearly, for you choosing the refund is the right choice. But you assume that all of his customers are dissatisfied, which clearly is not the case. And just because you can't imagine "active" reasons to defend Steve, doesn't mean there aren't any.

Steve doesn't run his business the way I probably would, but then, I can't make an Indy hat. But it's his business.

The wonderful thing about the Indy hat is that currently there are a number of high quality options. Perhaps a Camptown (done on the AB block, but not by Steve or Marc) would be a good option for you. There is, as mentioned above, also the new factory AB that you can order through Marc Kitter. He has a reputation for more active communication, which clearly is something you desire. The free market allows us all to weigh our own priorities and spend our money where we find they are met.

When a business grows, it faces difficulties with that growth.

From the discussion here it appears evident that a change in how things are done would be necesary. First is to recognize that communication is vital to all business and second is to put a plan in action plus if necesary add manpower to effect a positive change in communications.

A part time secretary that could be taught some minor book-keeping skills could come in for part of a day once a week to keep the accounting straight and the communications flowing, after an initial straighten out the existing orders.

Create a production board to show all orders and track progress. Then it is posible to keep the customer informed with some true idea of the flow of the work.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
AlanC said:
The wonderful thing about the Indy hat is that currently there are a number of high quality options. Perhaps a Camptown (done on the AB block, but not by Steve or Marc) would be a good option for you. There is, as mentioned above, also the new factory AB that you can order through Marc Kitter. He has a reputation for more active communication, which clearly is something you desire.

Actually, it wasn't an Indy hat. My fiancee found Adventurebilt searching for someone to make a custom fedora based on a photo for his dad. This is something Steve specifically references doing on his site, and of course, the glowing reviews of quality were there. I didn't really bother checking in here, I'm here for ladies' clothes and hairdo's, and trust his judgement anyway.

As soon as we can get a refund, we'll be contacting Art.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn