Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on Aero jacket

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Thanks for the pictures Harris!
I haven't handled aero's brass hardware but I would be a bit reluctant in case it turned out too shiny. Maybe someone withe experience on it can help!
I've got three aero's with zips, the brown fqhh I uploaded, a black fqhh also with antique brass (looks great there too) and a black vicenza with nickel ones, looks nice but if I were to order it again I'd again choose antique brass.

Rickard_H

Familiar Face
Today I placed the order for my Wayfarer! The long wait has begun :D

Brown CXL FQHH, Bi-swing back, Harris tweed lining and Brass hardware. Size 42 with 1" longer back and sleeves.

The moleskin pockets were actually standard for the model.

You guys have all given me vary valuable help on my way here, thank you :)

Rickard_H

Familiar Face
Not sure, but it was no problems when I asked about it for the Wayfarer.

Someone else might know?

Do you have anything in particular in mind? :)

Edward

Bartender
Is the bi-swing Back available on all aero jackets if requested?

Aero's policy on mods has changed a little over the years. In the Lauder era, it was very much "anything goes, no extra charge". Ken clamped down hard on that in 2012 when he returned, both because it led to some stuff getting out there that he really didn't want to put the Aero name to, and because, well - unlimited mods aren't cheap if the company is absorbing the extra cost. These days, Aero are reasonably open to modifications, but they will only approve them if they believe it will work and look good without major pattern modification - which makes sense to me.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I ordered my Bootlegger through Thurston Brothers I asked for it with a Teamster style back (complete with bi-swing). I do not believe I was charged any extra for this modification, and Carrie from Thurston told me it was a pretty common one.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Aero's policy on mods has changed a little over the years. In the Lauder era, it was very much "anything goes, no extra charge". Ken clamped down hard on that in 2012 when he returned, both because it led to some stuff getting out there that he really didn't want to put the Aero name to, and because, well - unlimited mods aren't cheap if the company is absorbing the extra cost. These days, Aero are reasonably open to modifications, but they will only approve them if they believe it will work and look good without major pattern modification - which makes sense to me.

For example, inflicting a mandarin collar on a Windward! I get that people want to 'add their own touch', but you have to be realistic. The people who run Aero, Good Wear, LW, Himel etc, have spent decades perfecting their craft. The idea that they should kick all that experience into touch just because 'it's my money and I'll have what you want' is nonsense.

Last edited:

Rickard_H

Familiar Face
Couldn't agree more Sloan!

I asked Aero if they thought a Bi-swing back would be nice on a Wayfarer or if it would mess up the overall style of the jacket. I would easily have accepted a no if they hadn't thought it would be nice, but since really similar jackets have Bi-swing and the Wayfarer isn't an exact replica of a single model I guess it could be either way for them.

Like the August, with almost identical yoke but with Bi-swing. Not too sure about the high curved yoke of these models though. The straighter pointed yokes 30's Half back and the Half back deluxe/Teamster are nicer then I think. The Dustbowl also has a nice back but after all it's not like any of the others.

We'll see what Aero says about what they'll put on it and not, ultimately it's their call.

Edward

Bartender
When I ordered my Bootlegger through Thurston Brothers I asked for it with a Teamster style back (complete with bi-swing). I do not believe I was charged any extra for this modification, and Carrie from Thurston told me it was a pretty common one.

As a rule, I think they only charge more if there's more work. When I ordered my Dustbowl, I wanted a plain front with no Yoke and a breast zip pocket. I wasn't charged any more for that, but I did pay more to have an inside pocket. Seems a reasonable balance.

For example, inflicting a mandarin collar on a Windward! I get that people want to 'add their own touch', but you have to be realistic. The people who run Aero, Good Wear, LW, Himel etc, have spent decades perfecting their craft. The idea that they should kick all that experience into touch just because 'it's my money and I'll have what you want' is nonsense.

Quite. The other thing, of course, is that Aero's name goes on whatever they put out: their reputation, in large part, is as good as their product. So if they do something that looks bad, there's an awful lot of people out there as likely to think "Oh, my - they thought that was something they should be selling?" as writing it off to another customer's bad choices. It's nice to have options, but there does come a point where, tbh, nowadays I'd be a b it wary of a company which was prepared to put their name on anything someone was prepared to buy.

Couldn't agree more Sloan!

I asked Aero if they thought a Bi-swing back would be nice on a Wayfarer or if it would mess up the overall style of the jacket. I would easily have accepted a no if they hadn't thought it would be nice, but since really similar jackets have Bi-swing and the Wayfarer isn't an exact replica of a single model I guess it could be either way for them.

Like the August, with almost identical yoke but with Bi-swing. Not too sure about the high curved yoke of these models though. The straighter pointed yokes 30's Half back and the Half back deluxe/Teamster are nicer then I think. The Dustbowl also has a nice back but after all it's not like any of the others.

We'll see what Aero says about what they'll put on it and not, ultimately it's their call.

It'll be interesting to hear. I'd say it'll come down to how similar the patterns are. While Aero Version 3.0 is less willing to do whatever than the 2.0, that has been balanced out with a vastly increased range. Looking at the halfbelts alone, there are, what, half a dozen based on the 30s pattern and the same on the 50s? Each with enough tweaks and variants to make it its own thing. When I bought my dustbowl, I started off looking at a Speedster, but decided I wanted the two-vent instead of one-vent back from the Dustbowl. I approached Aero asking if it was possible to have a "Speedster front on a Dustbowl back".... they said "sure", and pulled an example of exactly that off the rail to show me. If the patterns match otherwise, I doubt its an issue. Where I'd expect them to turn it down would be if the patterns needed reworking as a result - there's a thread on here somewhere where Denny explained that the reason they won't put the collar from the Premier 30s HB on a regular 30s HB is because the pattern is a different shape and it would need significant reworking to do it. Effectively drafting a new pattern, at least in part - there you're getting into the realms of bespoke, and that starts to radically ramp up costs and shift into a different market sector.

Rickard_H

Familiar Face
Got the answer on the yokes from Aero now. I asked about the yoke from the 30's Halfbelt and no other and that was a no go. They could do the Wayfarer with the double pointed yoke but then without the Bi-swing, they wouldn't fit together.

I decided for the Bi-swing with the original yoke. The Bi swing is much more important to me. The higher the yoke sits, the better I imagine that the Bi-swing will work too since it unfolds when the arms are raised. If it only goes up to half the armhole it'll probably be more difficult for it to unfold?

I'm sure it'll be a great jacket!

And after all I'm not gonna see the yoke anyway :D

Rickard_H

Familiar Face
After a looooong wait I finally got my Wayfarer last week :D

Here are a few quick mobile pics from the day I got it. It's been far too warm to wear it so far, but I've been trying to break it in a bit at home. It's nice but still very stiff, on the last pic it stands on its own on the floor! I think it'll be a very nice fit once it's softened up a little.

Very glad I got the little extra sleeve length and especially the bi-swing back. Over all it's a really nice jacket and it smells wonderful :)

Rickard_H

Familiar Face
IMG_3533.JPG
IMG_3534.JPG
IMG_3535.JPG
IMG_3536.JPG
IMG_3537.JPG

Rickard_H

Familiar Face
I also want to say thanks to everyone here who have helped me getting my jacket perfect! It wouldn't have been what it is without you!

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Congrats on the new Aero. Good choice going with the Wayfarer. We don't see enough of them here. I have a hard time taking pictures of my own back, but mine is the same very dark brown that yours is, only without a bi-swing back. I don't find that I have any mobility issues with mine. I'll see what I can do about getting a decent picture so we can compare the two looks of with/without bi-swing.

Rickard_H

Familiar Face
I can move around a lot before the bellows start to extend but it's nice to have them. But they're also looking a little better than the plain backin my eyes.

Easy, take the jacket on backwards and take a selfie :cool: Try setting the camera up with the timed shutter, it makes it much simpler!

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I can move around a lot before the bellows start to extend but it's nice to have them. But they're also looking a little better than the plain backin my eyes.

Easy, take the jacket on backwards and take a selfie :cool: Try setting the camera up with the timed shutter, it makes it much simpler!
Lol. I'm not going to put it on backwards, but here's what it looks like laid out:

c290f7177987545658da64b971a7ff96.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner