Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero 1920s Work Coat Collar...

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’m in the process for one of these.

Thinking about whether I want to go up an inch from my Ridley pit-to-pit (so one size up overall)–I think in practice it might be less than an inch because that has a thin tartan lining whereas this has melton wool.

zebedee

One Too Many
A couple of pics. I chose Troy blanket lining, so that it doesn't look like the Canuck I covet but won't spend on out of an almost primal fear of accelerated addiction :)

Attachments

• DA59C0BB-8A07-469F-8CD3-4F90C7D5DD48.jpeg
    DA59C0BB-8A07-469F-8CD3-4F90C7D5DD48.jpeg
    219.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 32607887-B212-4F1D-B845-2932352BFA07.jpeg
    32607887-B212-4F1D-B845-2932352BFA07.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 78

Aloysius

A couple of pics. I chose Troy blanket lining, so that it doesn't look like the Canuck I covet but won't spend on out of an almost primal fear of accelerated addiction :)

Troy blanket is an extremely appealing option especially with its western look, but I want this jacket to be a notch more dressy than my cross zips and half-belts, so I think a solid melton might suit the part best for that use.

Should be similar thickness wise though I’d think.

LukeST

New in Town
Looks fantastic and great choice on the blanket lining.
Did you find yourself going for your usual size in this?

zebedee

One Too Many
I got this in a size 42 - for 20s and 30s patterns I size up. It fits like a Maxwell; my 'true' size (a 40) would have been too small.

Aloysius

I got this in a size 42 - for 20s and 30s patterns I size up. It fits like a Maxwell; my 'true' size (a 40) would have been too small.

I’m deciding between my usual one-size-up Premier sizing or going one size further than that.

zebedee

One Too Many
Troy blanket is an extremely appealing option especially with its western look, but I want this jacket to be a notch more dressy than my cross zips and half-belts, so I think a solid melton might suit the part best for that use.

Should be similar thickness wise though I’d think.
Yes, it's hard to demonstrate, but the lining will be a similar thickness.

The back of the collar is lined with corduroy, btw.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-07-10 at 11.27.31.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-10 at 11.27.31.jpeg
    528.8 KB · Views: 64
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 09.54.19.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 09.54.19.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 61

zebedee

One Too Many
I’m deciding between my usual one-size-up Premier sizing or going one size further than that.
I'd stick with one size up. Two sizes up might make it a quite loose fit. I find one size up allows easy button closure and enough room for a reasonably thick layer. Again, a size 40 would have been far too snug for me.

Aloysius

I'd stick with one size up. Two sizes up might make it a quite loose fit. I find one size up allows easy button closure and enough room for a reasonably thick layer. Again, a size 40 would have been far too snug for me.

Helpful! Thank you!

I think another thing I have to grapple with is that what used to be my one-size up for Premier is actually my new base size, over the past year, lol.

I did send Aero chest measurements of other similar coats I have so hopefully that’ll help us figure it out.

zebedee

One Too Many
Helpful! Thank you!

I think another thing I have to grapple with is that what used to be my one-size up for Premier is actually my new base size, over the past year, lol.

I did send Aero chest measurements of other similar coats I have so hopefully that’ll help us figure it out.

No worries. Measure twice, cut once. Everyone changes shape a bit. It's the pizza/kettlebell spectrum :)

I've never really used the side adjusters on jackets, but they'd cinch it in by an inch or so on each side. The button side adjusters are a nice touch.

A dressier option would be a black hide with navy melton. A really dressy option would be black, olive drab stitching, brown buttons and an appropriate melton, but then it might be overkill on what is essentially a railroad coat.

Last edited:

LukeST

New in Town
Seconded on the helpful! This is really useful.

No worries. Measure twice, cut once. Everyone changes shape a bit. It's the pizza/kettlebell spectrum :)

I've never really used the side adjusters on jackets, but they'd cinch it in by an inch or so on each side. The button side adjusters are a nice touch.

A dressier option would be a black hide with navy melton. A really dressy option would be black, olive drab stitching, brown buttons and an appropriate melton, but then it might be overkill on what is essentially a railroad coat.
That would like really nice and definitely catch the eye.

@Aloysius - do you know what colour/hide you're going for yet?

I probably won't set this in motion until at least next year, but in an imaginary world (with extra large goats) I'd be really tempted to go russet goat, in our current world, not so sure!!

zebedee

One Too Many
Seconded on the helpful! This is really useful.

That would like really nice and definitely catch the eye.

@Aloysius - do you know what colour/hide you're going for yet?

I probably won't set this in motion until at least next year, but in an imaginary world (with extra large goats) I'd be really tempted to go russet goat, in our current world, not so sure!!
Russet Vicenza is an alternative - similar drape and weight.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I’m in the process for one of these.

Thinking about whether I want to go up an inch from my Ridley pit-to-pit (so one size up overall)–I think in practice it might be less than an inch because that has a thin tartan lining whereas this has melton wool.
The Troy blanket lined russet one Zebedee has is really cool. I think that’s a winning combination for the more smart casual look.
I got mine in rusett Badalassi with black melton. It’s more limited in what I can wear with it. Safest would be black on black. And best color combo I’ve seen is Zebedees russet with Troy blanket.
Aero melton wool is very dense, same thickness as the Troy blanket but at least twice as dense, it’s really outer shell weight fabric so if moths is not an issue then it will last forever.
The 20s work coat has high armholes. A little variation in the P2P measurements won’t make much difference as the high armhole will fit snug at the armpits. I went with the same size as my other premier jackets (board racer, phwyman), in widen size.
This is really the fancier coat in the aero lineup. The other ones (barnstormer base patterns) are nice but this 20s premier one is better imo.

Aloysius

The 20s work coat has high armholes. A little variation in the P2P measurements won’t make much difference as the high armhole will fit snug at the armpits. I went with the same size as my other premier jackets (board racer, phwyman), in widen size.
This is really the fancier coat in the aero lineup. The other ones (barnstormer base patterns) are nice but this 20s premier one is better imo.

This was my thinking. By widen size you mean one size wider but the length of your regular size, right?

I think because I am an inch or so taller than Aero's standard assumption, a full size up I.e. both wider and longer (with slightly shortened sleeves) could work.

Speaking of sleeves, this has relatively wide/standard shoulders for a Premier jacket, does this end up meaning the sleeves need to be shorter? (I.e. do the sleeves behave like shirt sleeves, starting at centre-back, or does the length all come from the shoulder?)

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
This was my thinking. By widen size you mean one size wider but the length of your regular size, right?

I think because I am an inch or so taller than Aero's standard assumption, a full size up I.e. both wider and longer (with slightly shortened sleeves) could work.

Speaking of sleeves, this has relatively wide/standard shoulders for a Premier jacket, does this end up meaning the sleeves need to be shorter? (I.e. do the sleeves behave like shirt sleeves, starting at centre-back, or does the length all come from the shoulder?)
Yeah, mine is stock length in the body and it's 29" long. I made the mistake of adding length to the sleeve and now it's too long for me at 27". I think stock sleeve length is around 26" for size 42.

It would depend on how you want it to fit. If you are wearing size 42 Ridley now, then size 42 in this coat would work for you. It's already a bit wider than the other premier jackets in the same tag size. Aero says to order expanded chest size and I think they're pretty spot on. I only got a wide size because I wanted it to fit more like a coat than a jacket.

1920s Work Coat Premier Badalassi 004.jpg

1920s Premier Coat Armpit Height.JPG

1920s Premier Coat Sleeve.JPG

1920s Premier Coat Length Back.JPG

My main thing with this pattern is the color coordination. Black on black is the easiest. Or brown on Troy is good too as the Troy has so many different shades the clothes underneath can pull from and be cohesive. But for my russet and black combo my only option is a black shirt/mid layer. Anything else would look too busy in my chosen combo. This would be my biggest concern about this pattern now looking back at it. What's your shell color and what is your inside lining color. Because this pattern has no inside facing so the inside lining is showing all the time.

Aloysius

It would depend on how you want it to fit. If you are wearing size 42 Ridley now, then size 42 in this coat would work for you. It's already a bit wider than the other premier jackets in the same tag size. Aero says to order expanded chest size and I think they're pretty spot on. I only got a wide size because I wanted it to fit more like a coat than a jacket.

The 42 has the same PTP as my Ridley, which is why I was thinking I want to go up a size (Like you, I also want to wear it as a coat, for a level of formality above a leather or Barbour but lower than my wool overcoats.)

We’re similarly sized, so I think measurements similar to yours could work for me (I’d go a bit longer in body, shorter in sleeves).

How do you find the side cinch to work? This really is one of the most impressive Aeros for hand work. I prefer it to the other jackets of this type.

My main thing with this pattern is the color coordination. Black on black is the easiest. Or brown on Troy is good too as the Troy has so many different shades the clothes underneath can pull from and be cohesive. But for my russet and black combo my only option is a black shirt/mid layer. Anything else would look too busy in my chosen combo. This would be my biggest concern about this pattern now looking back at it. What's your shell color and what is your inside lining color. Because this pattern has no inside facing so the inside lining is showing all the time.

Yes I noticed that too. I’m going seal (technically brown Pinnacle, but Denny said it’s seal in color) with green inside, so I can wear it around sportscoat formality. I was thinking it could pair well with a sweater and tie–I wear my size 40 Wilderness with a sweater and tie sometimes but it can only fit a slim cashmere sleeveless sweater.

Your russet is stunning but I can see how the bold colour limits dressiness in some sense.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The 42 has the same PTP as my Ridley, which is why I was thinking I want to go up a size (Like you, I also want to wear it as a coat, for a level of formality above a leather or Barbour but lower than my wool overcoats.)

We’re similarly sized, so I think measurements similar to yours could work for me (I’d go a bit longer in body, shorter in sleeves).

How do you find the side cinch to work? This really is one of the most impressive Aeros for hand work. I prefer it to the other jackets of this type.

Yes I noticed that too. I’m going seal (technically brown Pinnacle, but Denny said it’s seal in color) with green inside, so I can wear it around sportscoat formality. I was thinking it could pair well with a sweater and tie–I wear my size 40 Wilderness with a sweater and tie sometimes but it can only fit a slim cashmere sleeveless sweater.

Your russet is stunning but I can see how the bold colour limits dressiness in some sense.
My 20s coat, Board Racer and PHwyman are all size 42 widen. The 20s coat is one inch bigger in the shoulder and chest at the same tag size than the other two. It is designed as a coat I believe. The photo Aero used on their web page is kinda misleading, looks like the same size as the premier jackets but its actually an inch wider. The sleeves are also roomier too, to accommodate layering and better mobility.

This is one of the very few Aero patterns that has TRIPLE stitching on all seams.

I would still be weary of two tone on this coat. Even in the earth tones of seal and green melton. In theory it's Barbour looking but I find two tone jackets are harder to pair.

Russet Jerky / Green Melton / Seal Vicenza
IMG_0469.JPG

I sure wished I had gone either brown/Troy or brown/brown moleskin or black/black.

Aloysius

My 20s coat, Board Racer and PHwyman are all size 42 widen. The 20s coat is one inch bigger in the shoulder and chest at the same tag size than the other two. It is designed as a coat I believe. The photo Aero used on their web page is kinda misleading, looks like the same size as the premier jackets but its actually an inch wider. The sleeves are also roomier too, to accommodate layering and better mobility.

This is one of the very few Aero patterns that has TRIPLE stitching on all seams.

I would still be weary of two tone on this coat. Even in the earth tones of seal and green melton. In theory it's Barbour looking but I find two tone jackets are harder to pair.

Russet Jerky / Green Melton / Seal Vicenza
View attachment 536341

I sure wished I had gone either brown/Troy or brown/brown moleskin or black/black.

Hm, I wear tweed jackets with greens and browns quite often, but that's a good point. I want to stick with melton for the warmth, but maybe navy would be lower contrast with the seal.

On the other hand, I think the peeking lining on the work coat, as I see on yours, is less prominent than the wool back of the Shackleton.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany