Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero "Black Soft Steerhide"?

SklounstDraxxer

Familiar Face
Hi all, does anyone own or have additional pics of Aero's "black soft steerhide"? It doesn't seem like a popular choice, but I received a few pics from Carrie at Thurston and I am intrigued. Thanks!

SklounstDraxxer

Familiar Face
Sure, here are the pics I received from Carrie. Based on the file names, this appears to be a ladies jacket, which is perhaps why this specific leather isn't known around here.

Attachments

• Aero Ladies Motorcycle Jacket Black Soft Steerhide black cotton sateen lining.jpg
    Aero Ladies Motorcycle Jacket Black Soft Steerhide black cotton sateen lining.jpg
    530.5 KB · Views: 997
  • Aero Ladies Motorcycle Jacket Black Soft Steerhide chest pocket.jpg
    Aero Ladies Motorcycle Jacket Black Soft Steerhide chest pocket.jpg
    694.8 KB · Views: 1,079
  • Aero Ladies Motorcycle Jacket Black Soft Steerhide front.jpg
    Aero Ladies Motorcycle Jacket Black Soft Steerhide front.jpg
    670.2 KB · Views: 1,154
  • Aero Ladies Motorcycle Jacket Black Soft Steerhide side strap.jpg
    Aero Ladies Motorcycle Jacket Black Soft Steerhide side strap.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 1,011
Boy that's interesting. From the grain it almost looks like goat. Wonder if it's dyed black straight through. I suspect it is. A bit too uniform in appearance for me but I'm sure it's a delight to wear. What were you considering for the pattern?

Reminds me of a cow Vicenza.

SklounstDraxxer

Familiar Face
Boy that's interesting. From the grain it almost looks like goat. Wonder if it's dyed black straight through. I suspect it is. A bit too uniform in appearance for me but I'm sure it's a delight to wear. What were you considering for the pattern?

Reminds me of a cow Vicenza.

Yeah! I actually received a sample of this leather directly from Aero, and I must say, the pics of the completed jacket are not what I was expecting. I was expecting a lower sheen and perhaps a different grain pattern. And based on the sample of Aero goat and Vicenza that I also received, the steerhide does feel very different.

I interested in a Buco J-100 cafe racer.

Yeah! I actually received a sample of this leather directly from Aero, and I must say, the pics of the completed jacket are not what I was expecting. I was expecting a lower sheen and perhaps a different grain pattern. And based on the sample of Aero goat and Vicenza that I also received, the steerhide does feel very different.

I interested in a Buco J-100 cafe racer.
The navy blue or that new black/brown Vicenza would probably get you better results. Hard to say without having the leather in hand but just from the pics I've seen of the other two and compared with the photos above, that's probably where I'd hang my hat.
Oh who am I kidding. Midnight Blue CXL with red Drill, top of sleeve zips, board Racer collar, shoulder gussets and single point western yoke.

And cat eye chest pockets.

No inside pocket

No hand warmer pockets

Scratch that. Everything as above but two toned CXL black and Cordo steer. Black body and Cordo sleeves.

Sorry man. The mind wanders. I'm of no help. Best of luck sorting out the myriad of possibilities!

Harris HTM

One Too Many
when I was to order an Aero for my gf we received some samples, among others the soft steerhide. It looked really pebbled and lightweight, finally we chose the "italian soft horsehide", a really nice new lightweight leather (smooth and lighter than vicenza)

Edward

Bartender
I've not seen this hide in particular. My HWM and an Aero MC I've laso owned are made of a steer which I don't think is the CXL stuff - that's much heftier, siff as FQHH when new. These are the same thickness as the FQHH, but much more supple from the get go - yet still substantial ,not the cheapo stuff lesser manufacturers trumpetv as "buttery soft!" Mine is smooth, though. No grain....

SklounstDraxxer

Familiar Face
The navy blue or that new black/brown Vicenza would probably get you better results. Hard to say without having the leather in hand but just from the pics I've seen of the other two and compared with the photos above, that's probably where I'd hang my hat.

I love the new blackened-brown Vicenza! If I go with Vicenza that is definitely the color I would choose. But for some reason, based on the sample I received and pics of it, I don't think I'm a huge fan of Vicenza's aesthetics. Now, drape and softness may be a different story...

SklounstDraxxer

Familiar Face
when I was to order an Aero for my gf we received some samples, among others the soft steerhide. It looked really pebbled and lightweight, finally we chose the "italian soft horsehide", a really nice new lightweight leather (smooth and lighter than vicenza)

Oh yes, I also received a sample of Aero's relatively new soft black Italian horsehide! Would you mind sharing some pics of the final jacket? Even though I have a sample in hand, I just can't seem to find any pics of an actual jacket.

SklounstDraxxer

Familiar Face
ordered a black civilian A2 in soft steer last week - tempted by its ready to wear appearance.

Would love to hear your thoughts once you receive the jacket. I'm especially curious as to whether the pics I posted are pretty representative of the leather.

breezer

Practically Family
Would love to hear your thoughts once you receive the jacket. I'm especially curious as to whether the pics I posted are pretty representative of the leather.

Unfortunately I am anticipating a longer wait due to recent developments......
I was down at the factory last week talking to Denny about my requirements and he suggested the soft steer. I tried on a jacket off the rail and it just felt right......so I went with it. Not entirely sure I've made the right decision but we'll see!

SklounstDraxxer

Familiar Face
Unfortunately I am anticipating a longer wait due to recent developments......
I was down at the factory last week talking to Denny about my requirements and he suggested the soft steer. I tried on a jacket off the rail and it just felt right......so I went with it. Not entirely sure I've made the right decision but we'll see!

Oh great! Yes, Denny is the person I've been dealing with also, who arranged sending me a sample of the soft steer.

Having had experience with it in person, albeit very limited, could you maybe describe the leather? And is it as shiny and pebble-grained as in the pics above? To me the pics above almost like look like goatskin, which is crazy because the sample of soft steer and the sample of goatskin look completely different.

breezer

Practically Family
My recollection is that it has a matt finish - and that it looks and feels ready to wear, with out the stiffness you would associate with some of the heavier gage leathers. The jacket I tried on did not feel heavy, or stiff.

SklounstDraxxer

Familiar Face
My recollection is that it has a matt finish - and that it looks and feels ready to wear, with out the stiffness you would associate with some of the heavier gage leathers. The jacket I tried on did not feel heavy, or stiff.

Thanks. I am looking for something matte, and also prefer a lighter-weight, thinner leather as I live in southern California. However, Denny said that the soft steer is actually ever-so-slightly thicker than Vicenza...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner