Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero HH in Dark Brown/Seal - 2 Questions

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
How does this color wear over time? Trying to decide between this and black. I like the way the black ages, showing the brown underneath, but not sure how the dark brown will look when the jacket is old.

Also, what color shoes do you guys wear with dark brown? will black shoes/boots still work with a dark brown jacket?

Edward

Bartender
How does this color wear over time? Trying to decide between this and black. I like the way the black ages, showing the brown underneath, but not sure how the dark brown will look when the jacket is old.

Which particular horse leather do you have in mind? They're all likely to age a little differently.

Also, what color shoes do you guys wear with dark brown? will black shoes/boots still work with a dark brown jacket?

I far and away prefer brown with brown - but then I wouldn't care for a black lining in a brown jacket either. A lot of folks round here really like that combo; hell, even the RAF paired black flying boots with the brown Irvin, so I'd call it personal taste, really.

JanSolo

Practically Family
For me jacket, belt and shoes should be sort of a match ie. lighter and darker shades are allowed even complementary colours or colours that go well with each other BUT never black And brown. Unless it's let's say mid brown jacket, belt and shoes and black turtleneck and pants. That would work but in an everyday context try not to wear black jackets with brown shoes and vice versa.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Black casual trousers and brown shoes and belt is a good look and quite common in well dressed circles in the UK. With a suit it is definitely a no no though. As are brown trousers and black shoes.

tonypaj

Practically Family
Charcoal grey trousers, medium brown shoes. Leaves lots of options for a jacket, though not a black one... Less for a leather jacket, though. Black on black is simple, also black chinos go well with a jeans jacket, black boots cool.

majormajor

One Too Many

I hope this doesn't sound snide, because I really don't mean it that way, but do you really need advice from the internet about this?

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I hope this doesn't sound snide, because I really don't mean it that way, but do you really need advice from the internet about this?

Yeah I guess so. Call me un-sophisticated if you'd like, but in leather, I've never worn anything but black shoes/boots and black jackets. I'm not talking or asking about suits, I'm talking leather jackets, dark seal brown (not light or medium brown) specifically, and non dress shoes/boots.

The reason I ask is because I'm debating Dark Brown VS Black and am weighing the pros and cons. So the possibility of needing to double up on shoes in brown would be a consideration.

Last edited:

majormajor

One Too Many
For me, and this is just a personal choice, leather HAS to be brown.

I've got nothing against black leather, except I associate it with motorbikes.

I once rode on the back of one at 100mph, in the days when no one wore helmets. I swore on that day that I would never ever get on one again, and I have been true to my word.

So MY choice is based on ME.

Now, your experience could, I am sure, be different, or maybe even the opposite.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it is up to you.

What you wear is YOUR choice. Go with it:D;)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I'm talking Aero, whatever it is they use.

I believe Edward was alluding to the fact that Aero uses several different horse hides (vintage, tumbled, oil pull, and regular FQHH; various MWHH) that all age differently, including the same hide in the same batch depending on numerous factors. The only way to resolve your issue is to buy several jackets from each type in all of their colors offered.;):D

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I believe Edward was alluding to the fact that Aero uses several different horse hides (vintage, tumbled, oil pull, and regular FQHH; various MWHH) that all age differently, including the same hide in the same batch depending on numerous factors. The only way to resolve your issue is to buy several jackets from each type in all of their colors offered.;):D

Gotcha. Regular dark brown dyed FQHH, not tumbled or oilpull etc.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
My one is only a month in, but it's lightened slightly and taking on a fantastic, deep coppery tone around the arms and shoulders. Looks amazing.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
As Dirty Harry said, opinions are like assholes- everybody has one. My view is wear black leather with brown shoes. Who cares! No offence, but the kind of person who worries about that kind of detail generally needs to get out more.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
As Dirty Harry said, opinions are like assholes- everybody has one. My view is wear black leather with brown shoes. Who cares! No offence, but the kind of person who worries about that kind of detail generally needs to get out more.

:D Here's a guide: stick your leather jacket on, look in the mirror, does it really work? If your gut says no, then change, if you're happy, then you're fine. Honestly, it's about whether you feel self-conscious or not. However, I wouldn't try this with a suit, there are limits you know...

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
you're right. The number of times I've looked at a guy and had an opinion about, or even noticed, his shoe VS jacket color = 0

kyboots

Practically Family
I will wear a brown Aero Bootlegger with jeans and black Wesco engineers. Who's going to have a problem? I understand a brown pair of Wesco's might look more coordinated but both the Wescos and the Aero are expensive. I like brown and black boots but I only wear brown leather jackets. Somedays they won't match. Enjoy Your look!

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I'm talking Aero, whatever it is they use.

Yis, they have several different types, which all age a little differently...

I believe Edward was alluding to the fact that Aero uses several different horse hides (vintage, tumbled, oil pull, and regular FQHH; various MWHH) that all age differently, including the same hide in the same batch depending on numerous factors.

That's the one...

The only way to resolve your issue is to buy several jackets from each type in all of their colors offered.;):D

Ha! I agree. You know they call people like us "enablers"? ;)

Gotcha. Regular dark brown dyed FQHH, not tumbled or oilpull etc.

Ah, gotcha. Ok...

Here are a few shots of my Thirties Halfbelt (I' sure it is FQHH as labelled, before the smartasses chime in.... it's not heavy enough to be the now legendary horse-steer.... ;) ):

IMG_20121003_100945.jpg
IMG_20121003_101002.jpg
IMG_20120507_200558.jpg
Copy2ofIMAG0039.jpg
IMAG0449.jpg

These were all taken when the jacket was around two years old, or thereabouts. The close-ups (mostly taken for details of ties etc) should give you some idea of how the hide wrinkles over time.

I should also add, all aging is entirely natural, borne of my own JWTDT approach to breaking in jackets.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Edward, looking good, Sir. I never would have thought that a half-belt would look so right with such a carefully chosen ensemble.

Edward

Bartender
Edward, looking good, Sir. I never would have thought that a half-belt would look so right with such a carefully chosen ensemble.

Thank-you! It'll hopefully look even better if I can lose this paunch that's crept up on me.... ;) It is an old friend by now. Zipped up, it is the neatest fitting of my jackets by far. Not cripplingly so. It is a tiny bit like wearing a good corset. Now that brings back memories....

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thank-you! It'll hopefully look even better if I can lose this paunch that's crept up on me.... ;) It is an old friend by now. Zipped up, it is the neatest fitting of my jackets by far. Not cripplingly so. It is a tiny bit like wearing a good corset. Now that brings back memories....
Ha! Rocky Horror by any chance! I know what you mean about the corset - I have a 1930's one too in black (which is a perfect colour for any leather item, I think) and it feels like what what I imagine a corset to feel like when I zip it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred