Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero leather Brown V Vintage brown.

1avrgjoe

Familiar Face
I'm in the process of ordering a HWM from Aero. I'm getting brown for sure, I've got a Black one and a Black Schott 141. I'm curious to see the Vintage brown. If anyone has pics of one, or if you can steer me to pics of Vintage brown. I kind of want to have a lighter brown. The Oil Pull is nice but it's so dark I feel like it's close to my black one. As I mentioned to ButteMT61 I'm kind of going nuts w/decisions on this jacket. It's gonna cost...well you all know what a New HWM costs, I want to get my perfect jacket for that amount of money. It's an Aero so it will be great regardless but I'm trying to do my best job personalizing it.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
If you ask for samples you can see for yourself. I've got an oil pull HWM from four or five years ago and its not that dark. Might just be the pictures though the leather supplied changes a bit over time.

Vintage brown is the same as tumbled brown and is a lot softer, and for me perhaps lacking a little of the character of the standard brown FQHH.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I'm in the process of ordering a HWM from Aero. I'm getting brown for sure, I've got a Black one and a Black Schott 141. I'm curious to see the Vintage brown. If anyone has pics of one, or if you can steer me to pics of Vintage brown. I kind of want to have a lighter brown. The Oil Pull is nice but it's so dark I feel like it's close to my black one. As I mentioned to ButteMT61 I'm kind of going nuts w/decisions on this jacket. It's gonna cost...well you all know what a New HWM costs, I want to get my perfect jacket for that amount of money. It's an Aero so it will be great regardless but I'm trying to do my best job personalizing it.

I have been told by Aero that the batches of both vintage/tumbled and regular FQHH vary in color from light brown to darker brown, and smooth finish, and medium to heavy grain running through the jacket. After you choose between vintage brown and regular brown, my input to you would be to express what you want on your order so that the cutter can make an attempt to try accommodate your preference. However, it would depend on what is available at the time your jacket is assembled. Below is a picture of a sample of vintage brown on the right that appears to be dark/smooth and the sample on the left is about medium brown with medium grain. Both samples are vintage/tumbled. Ultimately, Forrest Gump's statement could be altered slightly to say "My Momma always said, a jacket is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." :D

22935271-B5A8-44C1-A152-AEF4AB86D1CC-1162-000003D72FA5121E.jpg

Last edited:

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Don't discount the oil pull option. Looks great and breaks in really easily while still remaining hefty and substantial. I've read that the color has varied over the years - my ten year old oil pull jacket is brown erring toward a chestnut red but I've seen other newer examples that were almost seal brown.

wild_balls

Practically Family
Hi,

Here you have some pictures of some shades of Aero brown hides, the first two ones (LHB andHWM) are supposed to be the same regular brown color, you can see that there are quite a difference between the two!!! The pictures with three jackets include the tumbled brown hide!
IMG_4819_zps6e265b04.jpg

IMG_4823_zps1d3eb6d1.jpg

IMG_4826_zpse1361716.jpg

IMG_4827_zps34278ba9.jpg

Cheers Joakim

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Yes and on a coat I had made a couple of years ago under the old management a couple of the panels were different shades too. Didn't happen with the older ones though.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Here's my HH Oil Pull 50's HBD. 1.5 years old.

Scott, your HH Oil Pull 50's HBD has developed great "character" since your original pictures taken initially while you were in Scotland. Do you have any impressions/recommendations regarding the Oil Pull HH, such as "bleeding" on shirts, etc?

Thanks Fanch. No bleeding at all. And I've worn it very wet many times. It's soft, but heavy. I love that jacket but can't always wear it. I get asked a lot about it when I do though. This winter has been pretty mellow, so the Ventura and deck jackets getting most of the hang time.
The Aero when new and cold in Scotland, UK, and France was a beast. When ingot it home, it started getting hot showers and dryer sessions. That did it after maybe three times.

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
]
IMG_4827_zps34278ba9.jpg

Cheers Joakim

Joakim, the jacket on the left here looks a lot like steerhide to me. If you've not done before, can you email me about it and reference this post? I think you may have, but just want to double check in case I'm getting you mixed up with another customer.

Thanks

Holly

wild_balls

Practically Family
Joakim, the jacket on the left here looks a lot like steerhide to me. If you've not done before, can you email me about it and reference this post? I think you may have, but just want to double check in case I'm getting you mixed up with another customer.

Thanks

Holly
Hi Holly,

You are absolutely right, it was the one supposed to be FQHH that you and your father decided was steer! I decided to keep it as it is a beautiful jacket regardless of hide. But the color of regular brown can vary quite a bit, correct me if I'm wrong! Are brown c/x steer different from brown c/x HH in color?

Cheers Joakim

schitzo

Suspended

Thanks

Holly

The one on the left!? I would have guessed the one on the right!

How about this sleeve Holly? Or anyone else who wants to chime in

sleevesII002_zpsbccf1484.jpg

HBsleeves018_zps882534d6.jpg

schitzo

Suspended
That's definitely horsehide. It's the deep grain that shows in the other sleeve that shows its steerhide.

yep, I was testing you and that's right! The sleeve in my pictures is indeed horsehide.
It's just that to my eyes I really don't see much of a difference here. It's possible, I'll admit, that it could be time for an eye test.. it's been a while

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic