Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Glad the photos were helpful to you.

Your CD looks good now, but in time, it will break in and be more yours just by wearing it or through some minor shaping modifications as your tastes develop. You might like cattleman, teardrop or diamond better over time and these are all easily done.

I looked at the Roy Rogers hat creasing video and a few others before doing mine. I soak mine in the shower, but I already knew that my water would not leave any problems on hats. The tear drop tutorial from Jimmy the Lid here at TFL is very helpful and the Diamond Authority thread also helped, but my final choice was a deep center dent with slight return bumps. The look comes from Jimmy Stewart, but is not quite as sharply 5 point diamond as mine has an arrowhead effect when seen from above. I also like deep side dents from JS's hat.

As you decide upon your dimensions for your look, you will learn to set benchmarks for your hats and then learn how to balance out from there. GT Dean has written about getting the front of the crown even with the inside of the hat and setting the front height. He has also written about the drop from front to back - as have others. I suggest some browsing around for old discussions of these, but you seem to have it well set already.

The best parts are reading; learning; and playing with them. You cannot really mess up too badly. Mine have been wet, stepped on, blown done airport lanes, bloody and reshaped a few times, so yours is not likely to be more fragile.

Good to see you with such a nice hat.

Fed

Spudman

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the lengthy reply, Fed. The first thing I learned from your photos was that I did not have to be so gentle with my hat. I'm working it in more although I've still done everything "dry". I've seen mention of that Jimmy the Lid tutorial several places but I still haven't found the video. I will remedy that this evening. I haven't heard about the Roy Rogers video before your post but I will find that too.

I appreciate all the help from you and the other loungers. This is one of the most encouraging forums I've ever visited.

Gary

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I have not seen either of those videos ... but I would like to ... where do I find them ?

even though I have zero interest in the tear drop crease ... I have the utmost respect for Jimmy

Spudman

One of the Regulars
I still haven't found it but I sure liked Roy's. He used a little more than a light steam, eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rogerstg

A-List Customer
BGCD Gets Overhauled

There was nothing wrong with the original, I just wanted to make some changes to better suit my personal and the regional style.

I posted before that I evened and cut the brim down to 2 3/8+. It varied by almost a quarter inch, though it was not noticeable with a casual look.

The biggest change is the ribbon; 1.5" navy blue. The bow is a shark gill version that I saw posted on TFL. I was disappointed that it turned out a little sloppy, but now I'm getting to like it as it seems to casualize the hat. I might still fix or replace it if my OCD kicks in.

I also omitted the wind trolley, but I noticed that it was very well secured in my hat. The sewing went through the plastic inner edge of the hat band for added strength.

BTW, the glued-in liner was easy to remove. The glue cleanly separating from the liner instead of pulling up the felt.

BGCD.jpg
BGCD1.jpg
BGCD2.jpg

Last edited:

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
BGCD Gets Overhauled

There was nothing wrong with the original, I just wanted to make some changes to better suit my personal and the regional style.

I posted before that I evened and cut the brim down to 2 3/8+. It varied by almost a quarter inch, though it was not noticeable with a casual look.

The biggest change is the ribbon; 1.5" navy blue. The bow is a shark gill version that I saw posted on TFL. I was disappointed that it turned out a little sloppy, but now I'm getting to like it as it seems to casualize the hat. I might still fix or replace it if my OCD kicks in.

I also omitted the wind trolley, but I noticed that it was very well secured in my hat. The sewing went through the plastic inner edge of the hat band for added strength.

BTW, the glued-in liner was easy to remove. The glue cleanly separating from the liner instead of pulling up the felt.

View attachment 40123 View attachment 40124 View attachment 40125

Oh no!!! It is no longer a CampDraft!!!

Seriously, I really like the look. The wider ribbon seems to balance it out nicely.

IMG_5148_zps7bpatuou.jpg

Fed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner