Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I'm seriously considering getting a bluegrass green. How versatile have you found the color to be? Through the week I'm usually wearing a navy or grey suit. Cool days on the weekend I'm usually wearing my sage Barbour Beaufort. The other option would be fawn, though I'm not as keen on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would be a good contrasting color.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
CMMD, when things like that happen, it can only mean that the hat was meant for you. And it really looks it. Congrats.
P.S. The truly weird thing about the CD's is that they do seem large at first, but after a short time it seems that other hats seem too small. That's why so many of the members have two or three. I'm awaiting my second, hopefully, today.

stratcat

One of the Regulars
My first Campdraft showed up today courtesy of Colin @ JJ Hat Center (how cool is it that someone had this in stock stateside in my size!).

View attachment 39695

The sheer size of this lid is going to take some time getting used to; I just got comfortable with my modern Strat and vintage OR.

- m
You were made for that hat (I think thats the right way round!);)
There really isn't anything not to like about the CD in my opinion. Which really makes me think I need a BGG and a fawn:D

tropicalbob

You were made for that hat (I think thats the right way round!);)
There really isn't anything not to like about the CD in my opinion. Which really makes me think I need a BGG and a fawn:D

Of course you need them. It's not a case of "if" but "when." Prices will never be better. They last forever. It's not a purchase, it's an investment. You're getting sleepy. "Ain't I a stinker?", as Bugs Bunny used to say.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
I'm seriously considering getting a bluegrass green. How versatile have you found the color to be? Through the week I'm usually wearing a navy or grey suit. Cool days on the weekend I'm usually wearing my sage Barbour Beaufort. The other option would be fawn, though I'm not as keen on it.

Here are 2 of my CDs. The BG will blend with several colors, but does particularly well with blues and grays. You can almost see hints of its gray in non yellow lighting. Most versatile.

IMG_5043Guide_zpsf8784887.jpg

Here are 3 CDs and another hat for color comparison. BlueGrass Green, SilverBelly, Moonstone and Beaver Brand's Silverbelly. You see more of a green hue with the yellow incandescent bulb light here. (Of course, this does depend upon your monitor settings...)

Hat%20Creases_zpsjl6ko1dh.jpg

That BGCD is my favorite hat and is on my head as I write this. The other three are nice, but their combined use never equals the BGCD. I may order another just to have on hand in case anything happens to this one. (It lives an adventurous life.)
You will not be disappointed at all.

Get a fawn or Moonstone later - if you see a need, but the BGCD will fit what you describe very well.

Fed

Last edited:

tropicalbob

The SBCD has arrived! I was a bit surprised when I opened the box and saw that it was a little more tan or beige than I'd thought. From many of the pics I'd seen my impression was that it was more of an egg-shell white. I actually prefer this color as I've a slew of white straws, and this will look fine with just about anything, particularly a brown leather I have as well as several brown and green tweed jackets. It certainly is stiff, though, much more so than my BGCD, but perhaps it will soften up with time. I steamed an initial C-crown into it as soon as it arrived, but I think I'm going to wear this one with the brim flipped up. It just seems more suitable.
Question: does rainwater soften up the CD's?

tropicalbob

P.S. I opted for the Deluxe and find the felt somewhat softer and silkier to the hand. I don't notice a significant difference between the sweatbands of the two versions, but then I've been very satisfied with the one on my Imperial version.

tropicalbob

I just got back from a safari to our local supermarket, and it was pouring both coming and going. I guess I'll find out for sure the answer to my above question. BTW, the hat was a big hit in the deli section.

Spudman

One of the Regulars
I need some help. The CD is my first open crown hat and I'm having difficulty getting it to look right on me. I think it looks too tall from some angles. I'm experimenting but I'd appreciate loungers opinions on what creases I should try. I liked Konadog's bash on this thread, but I ain't never gonna look like him. :^(
2314c795b8459afb377a7d699a065e5e.jpg
8ae53db1c9ad1c220f341d49f21afd01.jpg
b8c0a8f8925b47fba88d20ad84df933e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RJR

I'd probably flip the front down a bit more but it looks good to me.As has been said,the hat will tell you what bash is right.

Spudman

One of the Regulars
Thanks, RJR. I'm getting closer and the pics from Fed in a fedora above are helping me too. I'm putting more side dent into it and it seems to be working. More pics later.

tommyK

One Too Many
Spudman, I love that crown height on You! Balances well with Your face. You can fiddle with the bash til you get it to your liking but I'd keep the crown height. I have hats I've creased years ago that I get out and think would look better another way. You can tweak them forever. Some hats do want a certain crease, though.

Spudman

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Tommy. I guess it just takes some time to get used to it. I'm fiddling between a C and diamond on top. It's fun to start with a blank slate but the first time is still daunting.
Gary

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
looking god spud

I agree with Tommy ... keep that height ... it works for you

and that bash will find itself ... mold it like a piece of clay until you and the hat agree

it could take days ... or even weeks ... let it happen naturally

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner