Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

KyleK

One of the Regulars
I know a lot of you love the 2 7/8" brim on these hats so please refrain from cries of "infidel!" and the like...
I trimmed the brim of my taupe fawn CD last night. Took off about 3/8" - maybe just under that. I like the results - feel like the proportions fit me a bit better.
If I get really proactive I'll try to get the ribbon back on there. That'll be a little bit more of a project.

Last night after the carnage...
9j5ZQZ

This morning when I arrived at work...
9j9nqu

Last edited:

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here you go...

I know a lot of you love the 2 7/8" brim on these hats so please refrain from cries of "infidel!" and the like...
I trimmed the brim of my taupe fawn CD last night. Took off about 3/8" - maybe just under that. I like the results - feel like the proportions fit me a bit better.
If I get really proactive I'll try to get the ribbon back on there. That'll be a little bit more of a project.

5455526109_21e569127c_m.jpg

5456184032_7de1c63230_m.jpg

I think it actually looks pretty good. Just wait, though, those larger brims will "grow" on you.

T Rick

Practically Family
After being on order for ever from Everything Australian, my BGCD finally arrived today!!

1190722201_XrUPt-L.jpg

Very nice hat for a reasonable price. Just very slightl on the large side for me (size 57), it is just a tad lower on my head than would be idea. Don't think it is enough to need to pad the sweatband though.
About time that got there! Congrats, it's a great hat (mine is still my #1 go to hat).

As for size, mine fit like you describe yours for about an hour. Then, I decided to try an advanced version of what others talked about (getting the hat sweaty is said to shrink the leather band to fit). I showered, brushed and tied back the pony tail and put the hat on over my still damp hair. In no time, the hat was a perfect fit. As for softening, it's getting some humidity here at the motel in South Florida, both from the weather and from sitting on it's perch outside the shower room. It seems to be softening more.

T Rick

Practically Family
Now a question on colors (and who stocks what). I know that only the BGCD is stocked at EA, and all others are a three month wait when ordering from them.

I've decided I made a mistake in not bringing my Silver Belly Open Road on this trip, and that I need a "tan-ish" hat. Need to order a Camp Draft, thinking either Silver Belly (heard it's more of a tan?) or possibly Tawny Fawn. First up, does anyone stock either of these? Next, does anyone have a pic comparing the two colors? TIA for answers and help, for now I'll go green often, and Panamas when it goes over 80. And the Nostalgia when I wear at least a collar and perhaps a bit more "dressy casual".

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Then, I decided to try an advanced version of what others talked about (getting the hat sweaty is said to shrink the leather band to fit). I showered, brushed and tied back the pony tail and put the hat on over my still damp hair.

T Rick, funny, I did much the same thing. I stuck the hat on my head right after going to the gym. Seems to have done the trick nicely :D

T Rick

Practically Family
T Rick, funny, I did much the same thing. I stuck the hat on my head right after going to the gym. Seems to have done the trick nicely :D

I've found it to be a very useful tool. Two of the three Panama's I got in from Bob were just a bit loose (one more so than the other). Fortunately, the two were the ones with a leather band. Wore both a bit after a shower with damp hair, and one treatment for one hat, two for the other and they now feel as though they were custom fitted.

Back to the Camp Draft, I'm off to do the search for who stocks the other colors. But I'd still love to see side by side pics of the Silver Belly and the Tawny Fawn (or is it Taupe Fawn? Can't recall).

ETA: Okay, I see it is Taupe Fawn, and appears to be a light brown more than tan. The Silver Belly looks to be a tan (like my 1980's Open Road, far more tan-ish than the brand new Silver Belly OR I compared it to). So, I need to contact Hats Direct to see if they have it in stock. Any other option I might want to try?

Last edited:

Jerekson

One Too Many
Hey fellas, I'm thinking about getting one of these beauties in a light color (silverbelly or the like), and then putting a mid brown 1 1/8in. fedora ribbon on it. I've always wanted a light colored hat with a brown ribbon...the Campdraft has close to the specs that I had in mind, so I figure I'll just build the hat myself!

Problem is though, I'm a little concerned about the bound edge. That was not originally in my plan for my perfect hat. I could probably get over that soon enough...but the other problem is that the color of the binding and the ribbon would not match.

I know that our friends in Katoomba are very open to customer requests. Do you think it's possible for me to order a hat from them without the bound edge?

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
II think you can get it trimmed once you've got it. I don't think they'll do it for you.
Besides, a self-colored brim binding with contrasting crown ribbon is not unusual.

marshack

New in Town
Can someone tell me the dimensions of a standard Camp Draft?
The Brim width
The height of the crown (my head needs to sit in at least 4.5" for the hat to fit.
Thanks

JimWagner

Practically Family
All those pics of the BGCD finally got to me. Ordered one yesterday and I'm now waiting out Akubra filling the custom order. I'm told it will probably be March before the order is filled and shipped. :cry:

I still haven't received my BGCD. Has anyone else who ordered back in December received theirs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum