Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

frussell

One Too Many
b-man - Unfortunately, in my size, $108 is cheap. And Sam at EA got it to me as fast as anything I've bought on eBay. My chances of finding something "here" are extremely limited. This part of the desert seems to be where small-headed people go to die. I really like your recent "Lords" hat, by the way. Love to find one in my size. Frank

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
. . . Many Loungers are seeking a sense of individuality . . . The ability to order from the factory and get things the way you want is an old one. Even the car companies offered a lot more factory customs in the past. . . . I can recall in the sixties in particular muscle cars being ordered with unusual requests. Just as some of us can't afford the speed shop service, some are reticent to have to pay as much as the hat costs again to get what we want. . . .

One thing is when you want something it doesn't hurt to ask. . . .
John has covered all the points I wanted to make, and much more succinctly than I would have.

Besides, wouldn't you feel silly if, after spending a lot of extra dough and waiting extra time to have your hat customized by Optimo or Falcon Park Hattery, you found out the factory would have done it for less and/or sooner? It doesn't hurt to ask!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
John has covered all the points I wanted to make, and much more succinctly than I would have.

Besides, wouldn't you feel silly if, after spending a lot of extra dough and waiting extra time to have your hat customized by Optimo or Falcon Park Hattery, you found out the factory would have done it for less and/or sooner? It doesn't hurt to ask!

No, it doesn't. The point I was making is this, If you take a hat that has a wider bound brim, thin ribbon that matches the binding and cut the brim down, un-bind the brim, and put on a wider contrasting ribbon, (as has been done by some here) you have changed the style of hat to where it NO LONGER LOOKS like a CD, so if that look is what you wanted, why get a hat that does not look as you want ? When you've made those changes it really has no semblence to a CD other than the crown block and flanging and what is stamped on the sweat. It's all a moot point now as the factory is not taking anymore custom orders so you'll have to wear your CD as it came from the factory ( or send off to a "tuner" to change it ) now. As I said before, JMHO :)

Link

One of the Regulars
I bought my BGCD almost a year ago and loved how it looked when it arrived. I put a diamond crease in it that looked great, put it on my head, and realized the crown looked way too tall. I recreased the diamond to take up a bit more crown, and it looked a little better, so I figured I just needed to get used to it. Well, the hat never looked quite right to me, so it got pushed out of my rotation. Recently I considered selling it, so I got it out and steamed it back to open crown, but the hat, especially the color, just looks so good to me. I put in a center dent just to try, but that was no better. Then I tried a telescope since I really like how that turned out on the Adventurer I recently bought. The telescope helped, but the crown still seemed too tall, but compared to the Adventurer, it was actually slightly shorter. That is when I realized the thin ribbon just didn't work for me. I took the hat to a hatter and paid $10 to have a wider contrasting ribbon put on, now I think it looks great. So even though I bought the hat because I liked how it looked, it just ended up not working for me and my features. Now after spending $10 on ribbon, I have a hat I will wear rather than one that sits in a box or one that I would have sold and taken a loss on.

Gromulus

Practically Family
Even before I read the past few postings on this thread I had decided to wear my BGCD as well today. I guess great minds (or "heads") think alike!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Last edited:

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Link,

I love my green CD too and I know what you mean about the creasing.

I had something along that issue with my Bushman and then I had a wide, dark brown ribbon put on it and it really changed its dimensions.

Sam

JTopenroad

One of the Regulars
My Camp Draft is getting lots of wear...soo comfortable

EbaytoygunandHatstandNov292011002.jpg
EbaytoygunandHatstandNov292011005.jpg

Gromulus

Practically Family
I LIKE THAT crease !!! Keeps it in the traditional OR style and suits it well !! And looks good on ya as well !! What color is that one? I like it alot :)

Looks like Taupe Fawn, a very versatile color. It is just slighly redder in hue than the Bushman (which is similiar but slightly on the green side in comparison). This color seems to go with just about anything.

JTopenroad

One of the Regulars
Yes Gromulus, Taupe Fawn. I like earthen tones.

You are right Mon you can't beat them for the price, and they are a great foul weather hat!

MCrider

A-List Customer
Well after reading about how great the Campdraft is for quite awhile, I just pulled the trigger on a Blue Grass Green one. Hopefully it's still in stock. Now the waiting begins LOL

JTopenroad

One of the Regulars
Thanks. I like the way the cattleman turns out on some hats but not all. Maybe has something to do with my random attempts at the perfect bash. In truth I like a not so perfect bash so as not to be confused with the molded in cardboard look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80