Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Spats McGee

One Too Many
My Silverbelly Campdraft has arrived!
A dry center dent crease and its ready to wear.

xx3t.jpg

iijf.jpg

89o1.jpg
Beautiful!

Byrus

New in Town
So the dark brown isn't available anymore? Also is the mid brown and taupe fawn the same color or different?

W4ASZ

Practically Family
Maybe the mid-brown will return soon. It's a favorite of mine.

Currency fluctuation = Popular prices from Everything Australian. The good $90 (AU) hat is $81.60 (US) as of now. A taupe fawn CD is pending. :cool:

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BG Campdraft arrived today - glad I went for the 60 it's plenty big enough on my 60/61 head. It's my first Akubra, and I'm impressed with the construction quality, but not sure about the felt. Great service from EA.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Richard, I have a BGCD - had it the best part of 3 years now.

When it arrived, the felt reminded me of stiff cardboard, I wasn't impressed at all.

After a while it did soften up nicely, it now feels pretty good. There is hope!

g.durand

One Too Many

When it arrived, the felt reminded me of stiff cardboard, I wasn't impressed at all.

I can say the same for my heritage grade Federation IV. I haven't put the CD through it's paces yet. I'll start wearing it more as we approach the cooler, rainy winter weather we have here, and I'm looking forward to breaking it in a bit more.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

I concur with David. My Campdraft, FL BGCD, has softened up lots. I have gotten it wet in many rains and snowfalls. The weather has worked to soften the felt. It has not caused any distortion of the felt or ribbon. The brim and crease have softened. It is now able to be shaped, in those areas, by hand. Initially, to shape the fedora, you needed liberal steam. Today I can snap the brim, if needed, and add a longer crease or change it easier. I often wear it as my "bad weather fedora" and it comes thru like a champ. I am interested in a Heritage just to see what a "higher quality felt" would bring in features. I read into this advertising phrase that the hat is softer to the hand. As to leather, I do not need a better headband, as I enjoy the one I now have.

I have, like many others, loosened the drops of glue holding the liner in and remove it when wearing it in humid or warmer conditions. The plastic liner tip may be my least fav feature. I do enjoy the windcord.

Enjoy the hat. Best, Eric -

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo