Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I truly a "Golden Era" guy?

B

BAZ

I like "Big Bottoms"......erm BY Hayseed Dixie I mean.
Wait, on second thoughts, I DO like Big Bums!!!

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I have no clue what on Earth you people are talking about...whatever it is, it certainly isn't very becoming.

Would I fit into the '30's and '40's? I don't fit in NOW! :eek:

Like Michaelson, if I were dropped in New York City in the '30's, I would be lost (I would run screaming as fast as I could toward the city limits if I were suddenly dropped in present-day New York City!), but if I were transported back to small-town middle America in this time period (or most any other time period for that matter), I 'spect I'd do fine. Oh, I wouldn't want to work like they did then, but I'd get used to it. I wouldn't care to go to war either... I'd miss the internet, and all the cool things I have been able to find and purchase because of it. I WOULDN'T miss television...I haven't seen more than two or three shows I could stand to watch in the last fifteen years anyway.:mad:

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
OH FEDORA LOUNGE YOUTH

AH yes!!!

"...when I was a kid I remember a hit by Elton John..." BennyHoliday

"..when I was a kid Iremember a hit by Doris Day" Solid Citizen

SC lol

GOK

One Too Many
Fatdutchman said:
I have no clue what on Earth you people are talking about...whatever it is, it certainly isn't very becoming.

[huh]

Richard Cheese is a lounge singer - he does lounge versions of popular songs. Hayseed Dixie, as mentioned, do AC/DC covers in a bluegrass fashion and the Puppini Sisters might be called the modern day Andrews Sisters, doing swing versions of pop songs. In what way is any of that unbecoming?

GOK

One Too Many
Fatdutchman said:
Well, the picture that has been taken down for one thing!:D

Aww you should have asked - I'd have removed it sooner. I'm sorry if it offended you; it was supposed to be amusing. I thought it was ;)

So, anything else? :D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Fatdutchman said:
Like Michaelson, if I were dropped in New York City in the '30's, I would be lost (I would run screaming as fast as I could toward the city limits if I were suddenly dropped in present-day New York City!), but if I were transported back to small-town middle America in this time period (or most any other time period for that matter), I 'spect I'd do fine.

Given the way I grew up, I think I'd fit into the 30s-40s pretty much seamlessly -- there'd be things that'd annoy me, certainly, but I think on the whole I'd feel a lot less disoriented and disconnected than I do in this era. Even with the depression and the war there'd be a lot more of a market for my particular skills then than there seems to be now -- just about everything I'm good at is either obsolete or well on its way to becoming so! There was certainly a lot more opportunity for creative women in radio sixty years ago than there is now -- and, gee, being a film projectionist in those days was a high-paying and prestigious union job! So point me to the time portal -- I'm ready to go anytime...

Avalon

A-List Customer
Two things from me:

1) I am definitely a modern/vintage hybrid woman. I love being able to select aspects of the 20s/30s to incorporate into my daily life, rather than replace it.

2)
GOK said:
Puppini Sisters might be called the modern day Andrews Sisters, doing swing versions of pop songs

I need to find me their albums. Now. lol

GOK

One Too Many
Avalon said:
Two things from me:

1) I am definitely a modern/vintage hybrid woman. I love being able to select aspects of the 20s/30s to incorporate into my daily life, rather than replace it.

2)

I need to find me their albums. Now. lol

As far as I know they only have the one at the moment;

www.thepuppinisisters.com

Turn your speakers up!

Avalon

A-List Customer
GOK said:
As far as I know they only have the one at the moment;

www.thepuppinisisters.com

Turn your speakers up!

Ooh! Thank you! :) I'll listen tonight; right now I'm at work
shh.gif
:D

B

BAZ

Hey, I kinda like that Puppini thang!!
Have to add it to mah collection!
Sad to see the T-shirt pic gone.
Sure, we all appreciate the "Golden Era", but today's sensibilities surely must prevail?
Was ANYONE offended?

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Baz,

The standard for pics and such isn't whether anyone is actually offended.

It's laid out in the guidelines, PG - level stuff only. It's easier to establish a hard and fast rule rather than worry about a sliding line. Even the threads on actual vintage undergarments are held to that standard, though those would be purely informative and not intended to be sexy.

I appreciated the pic ;) and it is saucy wordplay, but it was a little too prurient for posting.

If you want to discuss it further, PM a moderator.

GOK

One Too Many
I was actually only intending to leave it there for ten minutes for amusement value but forgot about it until FD commented and I checked back to see what he was referring to. I really didn't intend to cause any offence and I'm truly sorry if I did. I hope that now I have removed it, I may be forgiven....pretty please? **flutters eyelashes**

:p

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey now. I wasn't offended. :D I was just pointing out the facts of life in a dispassionate manner to prevent misunderstandings and head off the kind of discussion that gets folks up in arms.

So, everybody lower your arms...lol

B

BAZ

Nah, I'm cool with the whole thing, and sure enough, sometimes kids ask too many awkward question!!:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart