Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I truly a "Golden Era" guy?

max the cat

Familiar Face
fitting in 1930's viz Lizzie Maine

LizzieMaine said:
Given the way I grew up, I think I'd fit into the 30s-40s pretty much seamlessly -- there'd be things that'd annoy me, certainly, but I think on the whole I'd feel a lot less disoriented and disconnected than I do in this era. Even with the depression and the war there'd be a lot more of a market for my particular skills then than there seems to be now -- just about everything I'm good at is either obsolete or well on its way to becoming so! So point me to the time portal -- I'm ready to go anytime...

w/ edits--This is so well written.
I too feel that my talents and skills would have been far more marketable (and needed) c.70 years ago-yet I remind myself that there are still people making a living horseshoeing. but not buggy whips- Fletch and I are still looking for a gig in the "Life Down East"

house band so we will stay tuned. I much enjoy your posts!

max the cat

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Just think of all the things you could "invent"!!!:D

If I were given the opportunity to be dropped into the mid 1930's or 40's, I would be quite hesitant. Depression and war and all...who wants that? Now, if it were offered to me to be suddenly transported to, say, 1950 or 1955, I would go NOW, absolutely no question, no hesitation, no second guessing, no looking back. Where's that DeLorean?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
my war job

Being pretty much 4-F material, I'd like to have helped out with NBC's program to train Civil Defense workers by television circa 1942. (Later in the war, Channel 2 (then 4) in Chicago, headed by a former Navy submariner, converted into a radar school and taught thousands of sailors the new technology.)

Of course, with musicians in short supply, I might've been induced to drop into an empty chair in a name band somewhere along the way...perhaps Goodman could use a bass sax (that huge thing in the middle of the pic).

max the cat

Familiar Face
bass sax

evidently the brief period in which Rushton played w/ Goodman-Mole on this period too- I have never heard any of the material that included Rushton or how they fit him into pre existing charts-wrote or updated new ones or any of the vintage Henderson material.

neat pic which i hadnt see in years

max

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou