Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another "Help me shape my Fed 4" Thread :-O

Classified00

Familiar Face
No matter what I do, I return to the shape in the above pic. Thank's for your tips. I'm going to have to hang it up for the night and get some Z's. ;)

I'll attack it fresh tomorrow evening :eek:

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And don't worry about it. From what I understand, and what I've seen with my own hats (well, not my Fed, but my experience with the Fed has allowed me to make even better bashes on my Fedora and Squatter), bashes seem to evolve over time.

For example, this bash on the Squatter took my TWO WEEKS to perfect (which is a figure of speech, as there's no perfect bash). I love it, because it is MY bash.

WillowGreenHat.jpg

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
My bash is not a tear drop but, this is what I did to mine. I pushed the front pinch down. I find the pinch is more easily formed using a little water sprayed on. I'm not a fedora bashing expert, but I'm happy with it and it works for me.

FedIV_carb_sd_3-1.jpg

FedIV_carb_frnt-2.jpg

FedIV_carb_sd_2-2.jpg

FedIV_carb_top-1.jpg

No hump on the Fed, but for the CD, I misted a little water on top and pushed up with my fingertips from the inside and shaped with other hand until I got what I wanted.

IMG_3462-1-1-4.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I have found, with my Fed IVs, that the higher the front, the further back the top of the crown recedes. Also, a center dent somehow causes the front to lean back even (a bit) further. True, I like a Raiders-ish bash (or crease, whatever one prefers), but these have been my experiences.

It looks to me, from that 3/4 pic, that the top-sides of the front pinch are causing the front to appear as if its ballooning a bit. Cant tell much else without a true profile shot.

Classified00

Familiar Face
Below are two more pics. The hat looks the same on my head as in the above pic.

I pretty much like how it looks head on and from the side. Is the "pinch sticking out" thing more of an optical illusion when I turn a certain way or am I missing something? I've looked at a lot of pics on here some do have the the "issue" that I do.

Any advice would be appreciated!

;)

Note: It's approximate measurements (in inches) are:
Rear 3 3/4
Front 4 1/4
Highest point of the front creases 4 1/2

Pics1002.jpg

Pics1001.jpg

Neophyte

It looks great to me, and it's WAAAAAAAAAY better than my own attempt. The front of your pinch does look somewhat "bowed" out, but it is a non-issue. the hat looks good, and if you like the way it looks, then it is perfect. I myself would love my federation to look like that, but it is in "bash limbo".

jbucklin

Practically Family
I had a feeling you were experiencing the same thing I did when looking at myself with the hat on. At certain angles it can appear, because of the pinch, to lean forward in the way you were describing last night. The pic you posted was at one of those angles, which is why some here wanted to see it from the side. You did a great job and it looks perfect to me. You will probably find yourself falling more and more in love with this hat---I certainly have with mine. :p

jbucklin

Practically Family
Stick it on your noggin and take some more pics to share with us. Experiment with different angles. I know I'd love to see them.

jbucklin

Practically Family
I messed with mine today, tweaking the pinch to widen it some. I think I like it better. It is constantly changing.

Photo161.jpg

Neophyte

It's photos like yours and creases like that, that make me wish I hadn't fudged up the bash on my Fed. It really is a great looking hat, and the wide pinch looks perfect for that hat.

danofarlington

Neophyte said:
It's photos like yours and creases like that, that make me wish I hadn't fudged up the bash on my Fed. It really is a great looking hat, and the wide pinch looks perfect for that hat.
I'll bet a hat shop could steam that out so you'd never know it was pinched.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland