Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another "Help me shape my Fed 4" Thread :-O

jbucklin

Practically Family
I guess the Heritage felt on the Deluxe Fed is more pliable and resilient than the Imperial felt. I started out with a very narrow Indy-type pinch and it's gone through several metamorphoses since then, with no phantom creases. At the same time, don't give up! Of course, I don't own an Imperial Fed, so I have nothing to compare mine to.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been trying to fix the bash on the Fed Iv standard for a month now. I haven't given up on the hat, insofar as the now liner-less Fed makes for a cool and comfortable work hat. I wouldn't walk around town in it, though.

Any time I revert the crown to open crown, it retains these lighter-colored lines in the fur where the tight pinch was. I can knock out the creases, but those damn lines remain...

I do not remorse, though. I've a new carbon grey Sydney and a willow green Squatter, and the Squatter (once bashed to look like a fedora) and its 3'' brim are now my favorite hat (I like green, too). I put the Fed back on and it just looks downright small after the Squatter. I'm still comfortable with it as a work hat, and in that niche it will definitely stay.

Neophyte

I gotta run to the supermarket. I've already taken front, back, and side shots, all on the noggin and in the sunlight, so as soon as I get back, I'll post them. I will say this, however: it is without a doubt the lightest, softest, and most comfortable hat I own, the Squatter coming in a close second, and it is my second favorite hat after the Squatter.

Neophyte said:
I've been trying to fix the bash on the Fed Iv standard for a month now...
I've used a steam iron to remove tight creases out of hats. I cover the hat with a thin cloth, usually a white handkerchief, & have used a small stainless steel bowl inside the crown to press against. I now have 1 of those hat shapers that I've put hats down on now & use the iron. I know some around here use their hands & a spoon to press against to get a crown back to open crown shape. HTH

Neophyte

Thanks GTDean, I'll try that eventually.

As for the pics you requested, JBucklin:

SydneyForward.jpg

SydneySideShot.jpg

SydneyBehind.jpg

SydneyAbove.jpg

The last picture is truest to the carbon grey of the Sydney, though a little washed out. The rest depict what the hat looks like in the evening (read 5:00pm) sunlight. The sun is above and in front of me.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Neophyte said:
I will say this, however: it is without a doubt the lightest, softest, and most comfortable hat I own, the Squatter coming in a close second, and it is my second favorite hat after the Squatter.

How is the sizing compared to the Fed? Did you get the same size as Fed or Squatter and does it fit as well as either? Is the crown round or oval? I'm tempted to get one.

Neophyte

I am a size 59, and all of my Akubras are size 60.

The crown on the Fedora is a lot more round than that of the Federation and the Squatter. I feel the teeniest bit of pressure on my forehead with the Fedora, not a problem for me because of the very soft leather sweatband. I imagine that, with time, the Fedora will conform to my head, or I could just use my hands, my knee, and some vehement stretching.

It took quite a soaking before I could bash it the way I like it, and before I got it to stay in place, it was my least favorite hat. It also has a wind trolley, which looks cool.

It is also, oddly, the coolest hat I own (temperature). I've no explanation for this, other than that the round-er (?) crown allows for a wider gap at the sides of my head, meaning some ventilation.

Did I mention it's REALLY, REALLY SOFT ?

Neophyte

It looks great, Classified. Incidentally, I just widened the front pinch on my Squatter, and the results were significant. The pinch went from a "bowed" profile to a flat, clean profile. The look is altered drastically, and I very much like it now. On a side note, performing this operation decreased the taper of the crown as well.

Anyway, Classified, your hat just keeps looking better and better. This is exactly what we meant by "your crease will evolve." Though, to be honest, the hat looked great even when it had what you called "forward lean". As long as you like the look enough to be comfortable wearing it out of the house, then I'd say it was a success.

jbucklin

Practically Family
That is one fine looking lid! Great job, overall, on that bash. Now, if you're anything like me, the only time it will leave your head is when you are asleep. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland