Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Anti-Aging" Treatments?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
jitterbugdoll said:
Actually, I do use Nivea on my face (note—you want the tin made in Germany, and not Mexico. Apparently, there is a difference in the product.) It's highly recommended over on makeupalley.com.

Otherwise, I swear by Pond's Cold Cream, Burt's Bees Orange Essence Cleansing Oil, and Burt's Bees Marshmallow Vanishing Cream.

Interesting - I'll try the Nivea stuff. I've got one of the German tins in my purse, in fact! During the summer I've found I usually have to use a lighterweight lotion (like Oil of Olay) and I switch back to Burt's during the winter, when my skin seems to become more dry.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
jitterbugdoll said:
And I, of course, cannot use either line of skin care products. Both drive my skin into a tizzy :(

Oh no! Other than Clinique and that one cream from The Body Shop, I have bad reactions to most other products.

I used to be guilty of sunning myself too much- I live minutes from the beach. Last year I didn't go out until after 3:30. This year I'm doing something new- not opening my car sunroof and may buy a beach umbrella. :(

magneto

Practically Family
mysterygal said:
I have very sensitive skin as well, so anything that I put on my face has to noncomogenic,and hypo-allergenic...I've found alot of these anti-aging products don't claim these...they are out there though

Hi mysterygal, have you seen this site?
http://www.biochemistryofbeauty.com/comedogenicity.html

(I have it bookmarked but haven't visited in a while...apologies if the link is broken. I think that I where I read a biochem's article doing a side-by-side analysis of Creme de la Mer and Nivea--the bases of the two creams are identical, but Creme de la Empty-Pocketbook has a few extra "natural" ingredients...IIRC the extra ingredients were all things available in your local health food store!)

ITG

Call Me a Cab

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rosie said:
I'm 28 and started using anti aging creams when I was about 25, not that I looked older, I just wanted to thwart off an liitle wrinkles before they even started. Anyway, Nivea makes a great cream but for the last year, I've been using unrefined shea butter and :eusa_clap ! This past year, people have been telling me I look well rested, a few people mistook me for being like 23 and a friend of mine asked if I had a facial peel. :)

I get mine from this company http://www.agbangakarite.com/ as it is partially owned by the women in the community who make this product. Great stuff!

Oh my god - I can't imagine what putting Shea Butter on my face would do to it! Hello acne and greasiness!

But I think I will have to pick up some Pond's cold cream. I use the full Murad product line and I like it but it's rather expensive. And tell me, where does one order the "German" Nivea?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, ITG.

You want the Nivea Creme Classic. It literally comes in a little blue metal tin and costs 99 cents at Walgreens (which is the neat thing--if you hate it, you are out a mere dollar.) Look on the back--it will be made in Germany. They sell larger sizes in plastic tubs--made in Mexico--which are not the same forumla.

Here's a vintage ad--the tin looks the same, though the font is different:
461656.jpg

A lot of women use this creme as an eye creme only--it is very good for this purpose. I can use it lightly as a rich night creme.

As someone who stripped her face for years with every harsh product on the market (OTC and prescription), I can tell you that rich products like cold cream and Nivea feel like pure heaven on your face! My skin calmed down immensely and became less sensiitve, oily, and breakout-prone once I switched to more emollient-rich products!

Renee

Familiar Face
Another Pond's cold cream user here! I've been using it for years, and think it's wonderful. It makes your skin very soft and luminous. It's nice in that it does double-duty as both a cleanser and a makeup remover. I usually remove mine with a warm damp washcloth, but will often just use toilet tissue or Kleenex if I'm traveling and no washcloth is available.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
something else I've found as a moisturizer that's great for sensitive skin but also gives you a bit of a glow (for those of us who are avoiding the sun now :D ) is, Jergen's natural glow daily moisturizer
Magneto...I tried the side but it is down :( thanks though!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm a great fan of the St. Ives line of products -- i've been using their collagen-elastin moisturizer for quite a while now. Smooth but not greasy or heavy-feeling, plus it makes a great base for powder. And it's *very* economical.

For heavy duty moisturizing, though, we New England gals have a secret -- a product called Bag Balm. It's made for farmers to use on cows' udders to keep them from getting chapped, but it's *wonderful* for dry, flaky, damaged skin, especially on the hands, elbows, and under-eye areas. It's very thick -- almost vaseline-thick -- but when nothing else works, it really makes a difference.

(I'm *not* making this up!)

Tin Pan Sally

I've heard of using bag balm, but haven't tried it. I see it at the drug store and Trader Joes. The ad is "udderly" something or other.
I've also heard of using hemorrhoid crème around the eyes to tighten fine lines. I'll pass on that one!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jitterbugdoll said:
Thank you, ITG.

You want the Nivea Creme Classic. It literally comes in a little blue metal tin and costs 99 cents at Walgreens (which is the neat thing--if you hate it, you are out a mere dollar.) Look on the back--it will be made in Germany. They sell larger sizes in plastic tubs--made in Mexico--which are not the same forumla.

I checked at CVS and they don't have it there, just the plastic case version. :( I will keep an eye out.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Do you have Walgreen's near you? That's where I found it--thay had a pretty large stash!

This isn't an anti-aging treatment per se, but Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Creme is to die for also. Smells like lemon pie and really heals dry hands!

I've used Bag Balm--it's not just a New England secret (though I am a Connecticut Yankee by birth, LizzeMaine :) ) When I owned and rode horses, we used to buy it at the local tack shop. It does work great on very dry skin!

D-Day-Doll

Familiar Face
I'm an esthetician and work at a plastic surgeon's office so anti-aging is what I do all day long!

I've had glycolic and salicylic peels, microdermabrasion, IPL photo rejuvenation, ultrasound facials, electrocoagulation, microcurrent, vacuum lymphatic drainage, and probably lots of other stuff that I can't remember right now. I have to try the treatments before I can actually do them on real clients, so I've done them more out of being a guinea pig than actually "needing" them.

The best professional skin care products in the whole world (at least to me and the other estheticians I work with!) are SkinCeuticals. I swear by them! My best advice is drink alot of water, wear sunscreen EVERYDAY, and use a vitamin C serum to prevent/correct UV damage like hyperpigmentation and promote collagen production. I think SkinCeuticals has the best vitamin C products because they are l-ascorbic acid at a concentration that is high enough and a pH that is low enough to be effective topically.

I could talk all day about skin! I work with all the newest technology which is definitely not Golden Era-esque, but we've come a long way from cold cream!

magneto

Practically Family
Another user of Bag Balm/"Udderly Smooth" here! In winter it's good before bed to slather your hands with it, put some gloves over it, and sleep with 'em on. Perfect hands in the morning.

And yes, logically it seems to make no sense to put oil-based products on oily skin, but I also testfiy that it *does work*. Usually oily skin is oily because it has been excessively dried out by too many harsh products and is producing extra oil to compensate...
(and not to be too gross, but coating your face with olive oil periodically will clear up blackheads, a tip I learned from another forum...)

So the vitamin-C serums are effective then? Hmm...

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I remember reading this in another thread somewhere also, but for oily/shiny skin, drinking lots of water also helps with that as well

Irena

One of the Regulars
I don't know if this will count as anti-aging, but I use Udderly Smooth (we call it moo creme) and Eucerin to help chlorine burn all the time. I just put moo creme on during the day, then smear tons of Eucerin on at night. My face is VERY white at first, but by morning my burn is gone.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I've also read to get you're 8hrs of sleep every night, that it really is beauty sleep...it's also the best time to put on any eye creams/wrinkle creams

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Keep young and beautiful

I'm 34 and have only just started thinking about staving off the wrinkles!
I use Origins Nightamins every night, gorgeous stuff!!!
Day time I use Ren's Calendula moisturiser, and a SPF 25 over the top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo