Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Anti-Aging" Treatments?

ITG

Call Me a Cab
baby oil is great (and cheap) for taking eye makeup off.

You can also put Vasoline on your feet (and hands) and then put socks (or gloves) over them at night.

MissQueenie

Practically Family
My roommate recently brought home the entire line of Arbonne Vitamin C products, and I was really skeptical at first. I've been using the wash, toner, moisturizer and nightcream for about a month and my skin looks very healthy and fresh. I've stopped getting breakouts in my usual places and when a few do crop up they're almost always gone over night. The line also has a face serum and an eye serum, which my roommate swears by but i don't really bother with. I just wish this stuff wasn't so damned expensive! If I could find something that worked this well for drugstore prices I'd be in heaven...I hope I can find some kind of replacement soon, though.

How exactly do you cleanse with cold cream? Do you just put the cream on your face when it is dirty and wipe it away? (Sorry -- it is just so counter-intuitive!)

magneto

Practically Family
MissQueenie said:
{SNIP info re: Vit-C face products}

How exactly do you cleanse with cold cream? Do you just put the cream on your face when it is dirty and wipe it away? (Sorry -- it is just so counter-intuitive!)

Yep, put it on, rub it in to "loosen dirt and makeup" then wipe it away with a tissue (or better, wash it away with a damp washcloth). If one prefers to wash their face first, it is still good to do afterwards for removing the makeup that soap leaves behind (which I think was a line from one of Pond's commercials...).

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
When I use cold cream, I rub some onto my face, then I use a damp washcloth to remove it. I usually repeat it a second time and leave the cold cream on for about 1 minute, then again remove it with a damp washcloth. Tissuing off doesn't seem to do it for me. I usually follow up with some toner, just because I don't like the greasy feel cold cream leaves.

In many of my 1940s magazines, the Ponds ads recommend leaving on a "mask" of cold cream for 1 minute (conveniently called the "One Minute Mask") so I figured I'd try it. It seems to remove a lot of dirt and makeup, and it is quite refreshing.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Spackle, anyone?

I was just reading some of the promotional copy on some anti-aging creams. They promise to "fill in" your wrinkles with a special formula. That's just weird. And imagine your embarrassment if you should perspire your youth away during the course of an engagement.

Tin Pan Sally

Re: Spackle anyone?

PrettySquareGal said:
I was just reading some of the promotional copy on some anti-aging creams. They promise to "fill in" your wrinkles with a special formula. That's just weird. And imagine your embarrassment if you should perspire your youth away during the course of an engagement.

You crack me up (so to speak). That's funny, caulking for the face.
I've seen gals sweat off their blemish cover-up, and that's not a pretty site. It either melts or flakes off them like drywall. Caking that stuff on can't be good for ones complexion.

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
*Smiles & Thanks*

You girls have given me some incredible advice.
It's absolutely priceless! Thank you for keeping the Glamour alive!

BTW...My Great Grandmother is 95 years old (96 in 4 months)
she LOOKS fabulous! And she too used Ponds Cold Cream.
It must be magic. The woman is gorgeous and looks 75!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I tried anti aging cream for my under eye, and all it did was make my eye twitch. I hated it!!

My secrets for anti aging are sunscreen, water, and for good skin
CBF-lotion_8.5-oz.jpg

http://www.etbrowne.com/products/Collection.aspx?CollectionID=27

I have used Palmers for years and nothing else. Its great.

ALSO I use Burdock Root oil on my skin and scalp. Its an oil that works wonders on skin, was used in olden times to balding and dandruff.
OILBUR.GIF

http://floraleads.com/OILBUR.HTM

This stuff works wonders. I have a big old jar of it in my medicine cabinet now. I mix it with a cocoa butter oil and use it on my scalp after I wash my hair. My scalp has never been so healty.
I have also used it on my face. It does even out the skin, I know, oil on the face. Works great.

LD

ASimpleLady

Familiar Face
Anti-Aging Products and Prevention.

Whether you are in your 20s, 30s or 40s it is very important to take care of your skin.

What do you use? I'm in my early 20s and I feel I only need prevention like sunscreen and to wash my face properly. I use Aveda face wash and lotion, although the lotion is too heavy and will make me too greasy but the face wash is fabulous.

Anyone else have anything to rave about?

I'm always interested in natural products; who wants chemicals when they're not necessary?

~*Red*~

Practically Family
I don't mess with anti-aging stuff too much...but I have used a few things...the thing is, I am never consistent with them. But on occasion I have used some things for a long period of time, and during that time I have seen differences.

What I use most often is a face cream from Estee Lauder, anti aging..i forget what it's called, but it's in the silver jar. I really like it during winter as it keeps my face very hydrated and soft. And I always use the eye serum in the brown jar.

I really liked the Bare Escentuals Night Treatment. I did see differences with the fine lines, and the smoothness of my face.

I have also used the frownies... and I did see a difference as soon as I took them off, but it didn't last very long. I only used it one night, so maybe with multiple treatments it would work for longer.

That's about all I use.

Hondo

One Too Many
EXCUSE ME LADIES

Anti-Aging? No drinking, No smoking, Stay out of the sun,
get lots of sleep, if someone else said this then "excuse me" please!

Dracca

One of the Regulars
Well, I started stepping up my facial routine a few weeks ago and I have really, REALLY liked the results. I don't know if I had a mini-crisis due to turning 35 next month or of it was just that the last few years I have really noticed aging for the first time. Not sure if it was just getting into my 30's for a few years or my 10 year point of living in the desert (which is quite harsh on your skin).

But my doctor (my GP, we are in a small town so I always go to him for my female exam as well as anything else) opened a new clinic called "the aesthetics clinic" and he is there every Thursday and Saturday. It is all dermatology type stuff (the treatment for varicose veins, the little red capillary facial issues, botox, weight loss, etc.). Oddly enough the lady that owns the salon I go to for hair (she does my hair) and nails (another lady) does facials and she is certified in microderm abrasion and she does it there at the aesthetics clinic as well.

I got Botox and Juvederm (smile line collegen filler) and I am doing the first microderm abrasions. You need to do 6, one a week for 6 weeks, then you can maintain it by doing it once or twice a year after that. I just did my third one last Thursday.

I was TERRIFIED of Botox. Mainly because I have a lot of drug reactions and I thought I would look frozen but I will tell you right now, that was the fastest, easiest, most effective, painless, side-effect free thing I have EVER done. I only got a little bit, I don't have many lines on my forehead yet, mainly those ones between the top of your nose and the eyebrow are the ones I needed rid of. I can still move that area fine, just not make an extreme angry face and wrinkle it all up. It took maybe 10 min total, I had not even a little pin prick visible, no pain (you can't even feel the needle only his big grip where he pinches the skin up to get it in the right place). I don't really have any deep lines but the point is to keep them smoothed out now so they never get deeper. Same with the smile lines filled in. They both slowly go back to normal but the point is, then you get them done again and they just stay as they are once the stuff wears off, are invisible when you redo it and never etch in more severe. I did not have any crows feet but I will defiantly botox those too once I do get them. Now the Juvederm for the smile lines (collagen filler stuff) DID hurt a bit, it was not severe or anything though, probably not a lot worse than having a tooth filled. They put a topical numbing cream on first. That left some very minor bruising for about 3 days but not enough to where concealer would not hid it. There are six times, 3 on each side when they put the needle in, push it fairly far up that it just PINCHES.

The good thing about the botox and Juvederm though is that it will go away in a few months so if you do not like it, the effect is not there forever. But I just love it and to be honest I know 5 other women that get it done and they all love it too.

The microderm has helped a lot with even coloring. I would really recommend this to anyone. It's fairly inexpensive and very easy. I did not have any discoloration per say but I can wear a lot less makeup now and I look as even with no foundation on as I did before with it on. Pores are smaller and I am very, very silky SMOOTHE! She does a chemical peel first (glycolic acid), then the microderm to vacuum out your pores and exfoliate, then a series of vitamin creams that she gets into the under layers of the skin with a UV light then a collagen cream she puts in with a little high frequency wave machine. Then she moisturizes and sunscreens you up. All but the chemical peel are painless and that just stings then gets really itchy for a bit but it's only on for 3 min total so it's not all that bad. You are only a little pink from it for about 10 minutes. Two days later you can get some very minor peeling but no redness of anything, just sort of dry skin looking peeling.

All of these you can put your makeup on right after.

Other than that I just use the Oil of Olay moisterizer with the SPF 15 under my makeup and a heaver Oil of Olay at night before bed. I also just put this on while I do my makeup on areas that will be exposed (like forearms if I am going to wear a 3/4 sleeve, etc). Just to prevent sun damage long term.

The nurse at this clinic is their expert on creams (goes to a lot of seminars on them) and she said any cream with both SPF and also antioxidants (Vitamins, A , E, C, etc.) are the best anti-aging that you can get. So when I am out of my day cream I may try either one that they sell of the Arbonne (sp?) C stuff that from what I hear from so many (one in this thread too) are the best of the best.

So anyway no clue if that helps anyone but I have started to get carded when buying wine again...4 times in the last month and that has not happened once in the last 10 years :D

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
A funny thing happened since I started this thread over a year ago. I don't care so much about my signs of aging anymore. I still try and look my best, and I moisturize and take care of my health (except for eating too much chocolate). After meeting some men and women over sixty who have aged gracefully, I see a common theme. They have wrinkles, but they actually wear them well. The people who look good are a healthy weight, and they are full of life. A countenance that exudes energy and spark, I think, is the best anti-aging cosmetic application, applied from within.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I use the Weleda products since a few months and my skin never was smoother. I use the cleansing milk with Iris where I usually have pimple danger and the rest of it with the Almond one. I use the Iris toner and te Iris face-cream and when I have a dr feeling I smash their face mask or some of their cold cream on my face. It´s good for the nature without any animal testing and good for my skin. What more can a girl ask for :D (And they are a Vintage company opened in 1921)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo