Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Aero brown heave steerhide pics?

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I have searched alot now and cant find any pictures of an Aero brown heavy steerhide jacket.
I have read many posts about the differences of steer and horse and it seems like if the hide is nice, it could be really hard to tell them apart.

Id really like horse, but since some family members dont, I wanna see some brown steer and maybe I could consider it.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Cool

longhorn+steer.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
Amanda says the chrome tanned cow is indistinguishable from the chrome tanned horse. That is when it is new. After break in, it may be an entirely different animal.* Hoosier Daddy should be able to answer that question as he has a bunch of horse and cow. Not sure he has an Aero steer, however.
_______
*Pun intended.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Isnt all the jackets made from chrome tanned leather?
A veg-tanned jacket wouldnt hold for long?

And what are the diferences after break in?
From what I have seen it looks like the horse holds it shine and "new look" for longer, and even after a long time it looks amazing. Picture of old Aero steer jackets arent as impressive imho where they seem to have lost small parts of the outer color and gained alot more tiny creases all over the jacket, some might find iot cool but I think it looks like the jacket hangs bad and has lost its shape.

The jacket I posted here is 17 years probably cow, and it hasnt lost any small bits its just got a worn in look and its still shiny. In fact its the worn places that are shiny.

I dont wanna end up in 10 years with a jacket that is hanging like a rag and with lost pieces all over making it like a sponge in the rain?

I know HD has a vintage brown steer halfbelt, but the picture I found makes it look alot different from anything else so it doesnt really help. Maybe he has another pic of it.

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Hello, Griff: Here is a link to my former Aero

heavy steerhide Bootlegger. A beautiful jacket, but, so stiff and heavy I found it unwearable and sold it. I have an Aero FQHH Hercules that is a supple kidskin glove by comparison to the weight and stiffness of their heavy steerhide.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=39378&highlight=bootlegger

Eventually, I opted for a much lighter steerhide from Aero for a second try at a Bootlegger. I'm much happier with the new jacket, though, it too is a substantial bit of leather.

Hope this helps.

Sorry...I only own two steer Aeros. The rest are either Aero's reg FQHH..or Vintage FQHH. I just can't seem to get past Aero's regular FQHH since it ages in such a unique way that I prefer.
One "Sale Page" '30s HalfBelt jacket is oil-pull steer that I was actually somewhat disappointed in(sorry,no pic). This oil pull steer is a little suedy...and tends to pick up lint even worse than true suede. It also has a somewhat cardboard feel to it. Therefore,I seldom wear it.
The other is an Antique steer '30s HB "one of". A hide that Ken was trying out. Although it looks suedy...actually it only has an antiqued smooth finish. With the Wollen Mills hvy duty blanket lining it is a warm substantail jacket..but,surprizingly easy to wear.

100_0430.jpg

100_0434.jpg

My advice is to ask Will for something "unique" that they may have put aside...either because they didn't have enough for a big "run"..or,perhaps a nice hide that turned out to be too difficult to source in quanity.
It just ain't easy to find something that tops Aero's reg FQHH..in my view. Over time it developes it's own unique charactor.
HD

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Thanks HD and JM

That halfbelt jacket looks good. What Im thinking about is if I can get a steerhide that looks as close to FQHH as possible. I like the look of FQHH brown but none of the brown steerjackets I have seen looks the same in the pics.

Im looking for that "indestructible" look that it seems FQHH has. It does crease and wrincle but it also looks "new" in between. I think this look (although im explaining it bad) is what makes a jacket really look like something special. I know many many years down the road even horse gets those missing little pieces but everything ive seen makes me think horse holds up better then steer.

That jacket you showed there does have the look in the leather that I like, altho the color is different. (it can be roughed up, but the leather is still smooth and looks thick and nice)

The jacket jack miranda links to also looks very much like this, almost same as horse but not as shiny (wich is ok)

Cooperson

One Too Many
GriffDeLaGriff said:
I have searched alot now and cant find any pictures of an Aero brown heavy steerhide jacket.
I have read many posts about the differences of steer and horse and it seems like if the hide is nice, it could be really hard to tell them apart.

Id really like horse, but since some family members dont, I wanna see some brown steer and maybe I could consider it.

Why not email Amanda and get her to send you some samples. I did and I ruled out the heavy steer immediately. I couldn't believe how heavy, thick and inflexible it was. I can understand why Jack didn't keep his heavy steer Bootlegger. If you think HFQH is heavy, you wait until you get your hands a sample of the heavy steer :eek: It is one serious hide!

Cheers

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Yeah Im gonna ask her to send some samples.

So like....cant you go down in thickness some, so it gets kinda like the horse?
The way it ages should be more the same if one could get the same flexibillity/inflexibillity.

Or is it just stiff or soft?

One of my cowhide jackets is still very very stiff after alot of years and I have always loved it alot much due to this. Its wind and waterproof and I love how it has creased but still has a rigid shape. Altho more then that could be too much so ill just see what im up against when I get the samples.

Thanks alot everyone.

South

One of the Regulars
Griff,

What do you mean when you say, loses bits of it's parts and small pieces? Do you mean pieces of the leather coming apart?

Also, what do you mean about vegetable tanning "not holding"?

Thanks.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I cant find those pictures again where i saw this.

But here is an old jacket of mine and if you look closely by the zipper on the far left you see some small bits of the finish have come away. Probably due to ware from the zipper.

15.jpg

I cannot find the pics again, but I have seen some old Aeros and they seem to have theese small parts gone loose almost all over the jacket. On the cuffs, all along the entire zipper and so on.

Look at the rest of my jacket, remember it is worn *heavily* for 17 years(it was once black) and most of the exposed parts is just very shiny.

12.jpg

You can also see on the jacket that even tho its scuffed, the leather hasnt gotten the small cracks all through the leather becasue you see how the jacket still have its shape and the leather isnt like an old hanging rag.

If an Aero steerhide jacket will look like this one (but with nicer leather) after 20 years then Ill be happy, I just got discomforted when I saw those pics of older steerhide jackets.

I might be wrong, but I thought that veg-tanned leather wasnt stable in water. That it could loose its color and shrink and get hard.
I thought all Aero jackets was chrome tanned and thats why I was surprised when Peacoat said: "the chrome tanned cow is indistinguishable from the chrome tanned horse" it sounds like if they also have veg-tanned cow and horse.

jtoi

New in Town
Hello Griff,

I got my brown heavy steerhide Highwayman couple of weeks ago and it´s a fantastic jacket and I don´t really find it to be heavy nor stiff at all. But ofcourse I don´t have any experience of FQHH jackets so there´s a change I have missed something :rolleyes:

Here´s some pics of my jacket, standard size 40 with a Common Riding lining:

P1000462.jpg

P1000464.jpg

P1000459.jpg

P1000458.jpg

P1000461.jpg

Cheers,
Jukka

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Omg that is beautiful :D
Really really nice jacket.

Ok from the looks of this jacket, HD´s and Peacots...it seems the steer is really nice.

The only other concern I have now is that the steer brown doesnt look anything like the HH brown. I know the jacket could be sweet whatever color it is, and as HD said maybe they have some completely different nice stuff at Aero and it could turn out sweet anyway.

But I had my heart set out for the reddish brown as seen in these pics:
IMG00001.jpg

aero3.JPG

Can it only be done in HH?

jtoi

New in Town
I was also searching pics of Aero jackets for a long time before ordering one. The final decision to go with a steer was made after I found these pics:
http://www.style-1.co.jp/SHOP/aer010.html
http://www.style-1.co.jp/SHOP/aer012.html

I have always prefered matté dark brown for my leather jackets and that´s what I got. Ofcourse things may have been different if I had a change to see different hide & color options with my own eyes before ordering. I guess before the next Aero I´ll need to check a lot of their samples...

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I think yours is spectacular. Im liking it more and more.
I always thought I wanted anticue brass but your looks
so freaking nice so Im evaluating shiny zippers aswell :D

How much does it weight?
(just go on the bathroom scale with and without the jacket)

Do you have any pics of it worn?

jtoi

New in Town
Couple shots of me wearing it
P1000472.jpg

P1000473.jpg

P1000474.jpg

P1000475.jpg

The weight of the jacket is about 2,6kg (+-200g as our scale is not the most stable one). So it IS heavy, but what I meant earlier was I found it not too heavy to wear and it´s perfectly comfortable in use.

Cheers,
Jukka

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
WOW!!

Yours have to be the best Highwayman I have seen!
It really shows when you wear it that the steerhide have the look Im after.
The back is amazing and the creases on the arms are beautiful!

The color also looks better in the pics, its more alive.
Im starting to consider this rich dark color. I just gotta figure out what looks best on me.

The weight sounds ok, its the same as my cheap arturo jacket posted above and I was actually hoping for slightly heavier, but I guess it doesnt matter when it looks as good as it does.

I want to thank you very much for taking all this time to help out.
Im sure this thread will also be of use to many others as there arent many brown steerhide jackets on pics here.

andy richards

Practically Family
Great pics, Jukka. Thanks for posting.
It would be great if you could post some pictures after a few months of wear.
Good luck and enjoy wearing this fine jacket.
Andy

Peacoat

Bartender
The pic I posted was of my Cordovan Aero, and it looks as if Jukka's is Cordovan also. I'm pretty sure Aero has some brown cowhide. Send Amanda an email and ask her.

jtoi

New in Town
Peacoat said:
The pic I posted was of my Cordovan Aero, and it looks as if Jukka's is Cordovan also. I'm pretty sure Aero has some brown cowhide. Send Amanda an email and ask her.

No, my jacket isn´t Cordovan. Pics of me wearing it may suggest it is but that´s always the problem of using p&s cameras inside with a flash, they throw colors off and in this case the jacket appears to be much more reddish than it really is.

Here´s one more shot without a flash:
P1000477.jpg

Jukka

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou