Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any writers?

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I do not write fiction, but as an academic I do write and publish non-fiction. Today was a big first: first time I got a royalty check for sales on a book! It was a small check, and it was not for a monograph, but an edited book that I was co-editor on. Nonetheless, it was the first time I get a check in mail for a book! Felt really quite good actually. I've been mostly publishing articles in academic journals to this point and one does not get paid for publishing in academic journals.

Now I need to finish a book chapter by the end of the month (eek!) and a textbook later this year. Also that pesky monograph next year that finally needs to be done...

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I do not write fiction, but as an academic I do write and publish non-fiction. Today was a big first: first time I got a royalty check for sales on a book! It was a small check, and it was not for a monograph, but an edited book that I was co-editor on. Nonetheless, it was the first time I get a check in mail for a book! Felt really quite good actually. I've been mostly publishing articles in academic journals to this point and one does not get paid for publishing in academic journals.

Now I need to finish a book chapter by the end of the month (eek!) and a textbook later this year. Also that pesky monograph next year that finally needs to be done...

Well done, Chasseur! That first check is always a wonderful feeling. :)

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Time to check in. How is the writing going?...

Been a while since I've last posted in here. I've started a more thorough editing process on one book, which included adding a "foreword" chapter which of course, is also part of the fiction to help open the story.

I've also started baking a couple newer ideas for an adult oriented children's book in my brain-oven. I'll be modifying what I'd already started and I think I have a grip on something much better. The brain gears are turning again!

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Hmm I write Fullmetal Alchemist fanfiction as a hobby, and the series is set during the early decades of the 20th century (in an alternate universe...) does that count? lol

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Been a while since I've last posted in here. I've started a more thorough editing process on one book, which included adding a "foreword" chapter which of course, is also part of the fiction to help open the story.

I've also started baking a couple newer ideas for an adult oriented children's book in my brain-oven. I'll be modifying what I'd already started and I think I have a grip on something much better. The brain gears are turning again!

YES. I'm so glad the brain gears are turning!

We need to post in here more, keep us all motivated. BTW, has anyone heard from Jack?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
For inspiration...

type.jpg

piddle.jpg

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I have a small blog that grows a little bit more now and then, it's linked below. I'd love for anyone to read the short stories (mostly fiction) and let me know what you all think.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I have a small blog that grows a little bit more now and then, it's linked below. I'd love for anyone to read the short stories (mostly fiction) and let me know what you all think.

I stopped in and read Lucy, which caught my eye because Lucy is the name of my protagonist, and I have to say you did a good job making me like the character in a short span. http://thesteampunkcafe.com/blogotron/?page_id=135 is my take on a Lucy, albeit it's gearing up to be an infinite work in progress.

Flicka

One Too Many
I never posted here, did I? I write historical fiction, but I sort of put my writing on hold last year. I'm trying to get back on track though, and I'm researching/plotting/planning my next ms. I'm going to go out on a limb and try something new by writing an adventure story partly set in the 20s, partly in the 5th/6th century. The best description I've come up with is "Indiana Jones meets Nancy Mitford by way of Dorothy Dunnett".

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Anyone planning on taking part in Camp NaNoWriMo? 50k words in either June or August. Consider the challange issued.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I never posted here, did I? I write historical fiction, but I sort of put my writing on hold last year. I'm trying to get back on track though, and I'm researching/plotting/planning my next ms. I'm going to go out on a limb and try something new by writing an adventure story partly set in the 20s, partly in the 5th/6th century. The best description I've come up with is "Indiana Jones meets Nancy Mitford by way of Dorothy Dunnett".

What region for the 5th and 6th centuries? Your combination of 20s and ancient history screams Egypt to me. The fall of the Roman Empire would make more sense, though.

Last edited:

Flicka

One Too Many
England, actually. Romans and Celts and Anglo-Saxons, oh my. :) I'd like to make it a series, and if so, I'd like to move around and use settings all over Europe. The idea would be to tie in some famous early Middle Age legend or myth in each.

I also have an old idea set among the Langobards that will probably be project No 2, and I recently came up with what I think is a very clever high concept mystery set in Byzantine Constantineople that I'd like to write at some point.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up

Flicka, I'm so glad you decided to take up your writing again. Well done. :) And your story sounds pretty darn awesome.

Mr. Vim - Will go read your stuff today!

All - May I humbly suggest a fascinating blog for fiction writers? They also have a thriving community on Facebook. I have found a wonderful assortment of advice, support, information, and commiseration from agents, editors, published writers, and unpublished writers.

www.writerunboxed.com

Last edited:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Anyone planning on taking part in Camp NaNoWriMo? 50k words in either June or August. Consider the challange issued.

Hmm. This may be exactly the push I need. I usually don't do NaNo as November is one of the worst times of year for that since we usually end up traveling for the holidays. And with my recent surgery and trying to get motivated on, well, EVERYTHING again, a writing marathon session during a season I hate (summer and me do NOT go well together) may just be the thing for me.

Ok. I'll do it. I pick June. Yeps, which month will you do?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Ok. I'll do it. I pick June. Yeps, which month will you do?

I am going with June, and possibly also August, if things go well, or if things don't go well. Who knows.

My sister challenged me to write something other than self-aware genre-savvy comedy, which has been my fallback. So I am probably going with either Sci-fi or Steampunk, and actually trying to write a decent story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21