Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone with contacts in publishing?

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I have been writing short stories and novels for as long as I can remember and have been sharing a few outtakes on my FB every now and again. The response have been amazing and even though I am not confident enough to think that I have what it takes to be published, some think I should definitely give it a try.

So I thought to ask here about book publishers and if others have experience with getting published, I would love to hear your journey.

If you are willing to share contacts, but not publicly, I would be grateful for a PM.

Last edited:

Pompidou

One Too Many
While you wait for the real thing, you can get your writing out there yourself by publishing on iTunes with Apple's free osX software, http://www.apple.com/ibooks-author/ - you'd be able to charge up to 14.99 a book, and you'd split the profits 70/30 with Apple. You'd be responsible for all your marketing, which may or may not have a profound impact on your sales. Just a thought. Any publishing is better than no publishing.

Edward

Bartender
While you wait for the real thing, you can get your writing out there yourself by publishing on iTunes with Apple's free osX software, http://www.apple.com/ibooks-author/ - you'd be able to charge up to 14.99 a book, and you'd split the profits 70/30 with Apple. You'd be responsible for all your marketing, which may or may not have a profound impact on your sales. Just a thought. Any publishing is better than no publishing.

I think Amazon do something similar? It's worth a shot. I'm sure there are a lot of folks plodding away with it, but there are one or two autohrs, mostly genre stuff like sci-fi, who have done surprisingly well out of it. Could be a way to get some audience feedback?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I guess it really depends on what you want to do with your writing, Darhling. If you just want to get it in book or e-book form, then there are several ways to do that - self-publishers, Smashwords, etc. If you want to get it published the traditional way, i.e. by a major publisher, I would suggest finding an agent as a lot of traditional publishers (at least in the U.S. - not sure about the U.K.) require an agent before they will even look at your manuscript.

Connecting with agents and publishers via Twitter, their blogs, and Facebook is a great way to do this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy