Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are prices for Vintage Leather jackets getting a bit insane?

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
This Holy Grail jacket showed up later Sunday night. It was up late and short so most people never saw it. I immediately thought it was too much money. Then I started counting my money, plotting some way to buy it for less. I was thinking 2K, I had recently spent that much on several other jackets so I was a bit stretched. I went through all the "math" in my head, what to sell to keep it etc. etc.,

I wrote a message to confirm size, but I could tell it was a bigger size. It was said to be 42. I would not buy if I could not wear, not on this one. I wasn't going to buy this for someone else. With all that I was confident enough on the size. The condition questions was answered by the seller:

It would be very difficult to find this same jacket in any better condition.

I agree.

As I plotted another bought it.

SOLD: $2400

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

I thought my BK Hercules has funny mis-aligned lining. Guess it is original!

iV5-vizOOnAPoh4K6eCweH0gBY77FW108JIYCAVGTf0yHG58SbMyZ6sOSm-Lb0fi_mnKQTmx5ERiaFjL4NcuWOo4Jp774lLvYcb2a7ohCbUm4XANl7xj2FJJFqZi9i_LOllKK0qGzJ3ItowD8AVKcd7uWJ_qz_DfvA0gJcCe3XtdJIoiuLdCs3f6q-zhLAp9R-CMRZ84rIjo_fspFZYIQm39HqTZKL1qcP1L-L71ObdH0H2hHlIMECOd9BRS2nwSY0A8J45AMOZVT1ZBj5rk7y79qHyYfHgQORTXdWUx-DscJG05ZMQohK9BwTNLCBRNtpAl1sU0AeyrL3CjNP23ejwwDHClEHhy781sZyjaEbmvezMQBxUbqfZ9xnC6Dxfw3a_kTlp5gGPEheWKB3GMa8y9jLmCIO6KWdRmOm70galQuWm1R4WfZ4Tgh7HMqmDrN5Af6BwsYpQkawoxoFU-4eWWRz4nHHJIherksISSi70d0AK2sR9lF7O3Dv_zT7MzzlpNdUw42dk9lQ-GO5Dmg-pOVnhWVKvbYsw7hzuLxXwUeC-vNjDKg_RG-ATGfU84WRfGiQOM7jQhNmxQ01R6jxVm3njNFDyB_6mExKIaNNqblPeH0bczVkVp0zVCmh0HrHEaUJpAuG69mN_opEJO1mvfmiC8kVGJ3pJcGlqyZwA=w1024-h576-no

s-l1600.jpg

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thats a lot of money for a vintage jacket....but then again, damn its a nice jacket.

Glad I didn't see it and have to have that internal struggle ;)

Congrats and I hope it fits!

It's nice but... I don't know, wear is making it a lot nicer than it actually is. For me, I mean. Very... conventional, otherwise. Was it not for the interesting back, I never would've noticed it as something.

Last edited:
This Holy Grail jacket showed up later Sunday night. It was up late and short so most people never saw it. I immediately thought it was too much money. Then I started counting my money, plotting some way to buy it for less. I was thinking 2K, I had recently spent that much on several other jackets so I was a bit stretched. I went through all the "math" in my head, what to sell to keep it etc. etc.,

I wrote a message to confirm size, but I could tell it was a bigger size. It was said to be 42. I would not buy if I could not wear, not on this one. I wasn't going to buy this for someone else. With all that I was confident enough on the size. The condition questions was answered by the seller:

It would be very difficult to find this same jacket in any better condition.

I agree.

As I plotted another bought it.

SOLD: $2400

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

I thought my BK Hercules has funny mis-aligned lining. Guess it is original!

iV5-vizOOnAPoh4K6eCweH0gBY77FW108JIYCAVGTf0yHG58SbMyZ6sOSm-Lb0fi_mnKQTmx5ERiaFjL4NcuWOo4Jp774lLvYcb2a7ohCbUm4XANl7xj2FJJFqZi9i_LOllKK0qGzJ3ItowD8AVKcd7uWJ_qz_DfvA0gJcCe3XtdJIoiuLdCs3f6q-zhLAp9R-CMRZ84rIjo_fspFZYIQm39HqTZKL1qcP1L-L71ObdH0H2hHlIMECOd9BRS2nwSY0A8J45AMOZVT1ZBj5rk7y79qHyYfHgQORTXdWUx-DscJG05ZMQohK9BwTNLCBRNtpAl1sU0AeyrL3CjNP23ejwwDHClEHhy781sZyjaEbmvezMQBxUbqfZ9xnC6Dxfw3a_kTlp5gGPEheWKB3GMa8y9jLmCIO6KWdRmOm70galQuWm1R4WfZ4Tgh7HMqmDrN5Af6BwsYpQkawoxoFU-4eWWRz4nHHJIherksISSi70d0AK2sR9lF7O3Dv_zT7MzzlpNdUw42dk9lQ-GO5Dmg-pOVnhWVKvbYsw7hzuLxXwUeC-vNjDKg_RG-ATGfU84WRfGiQOM7jQhNmxQ01R6jxVm3njNFDyB_6mExKIaNNqblPeH0bczVkVp0zVCmh0HrHEaUJpAuG69mN_opEJO1mvfmiC8kVGJ3pJcGlqyZwA=w1024-h576-no

s-l1600.jpg
Wouldn't lament too hard TM. By my count you have a good 15 jackets that make this one look pretty darn average!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Terry you know you were waiting for someone else to buy it so you didn't have to :D I've gone through that many times. You regret it later but your wallet thanks you for not being impulsive.

Guys, he didn't buy it

Oh duh. I read that part then got distracted by the jacket. The thing is not basic at all IMO. Understated elegance. The Kelso thread was what made me aware of this model, but it is also featured in the Motorcycle Fashions Tanaka book, so it must have been a collector's item long before.

I guess I look at this and think Alan could repro it stitch for stitch for less than half and in (arguably) better leather and then struggle to understand why anyone would pay the full boat. I know there's the mystique thing going on but still. Nope. Too many advertised as mint vintage jackets that turn up fragile and meant to be framed, not worn.

willyto

One Too Many
Just because some people falsely advertise jacket as mint doesn't mean that jacket is not in mint condition. You could ask for a repro but nothing beats the real deal, If I can have the same jacket in wearable condition being it vintage or modern I'll have the vintage one every single day.

What is better leather? Because you can't beat 70 year old leather in good condition. As much as people are trying to, you don't get the same feeling, tannery procedures were different as were the animals.

Most modern leathers used for jackets sure aren't better in terms of wearability because of it's weight and it's thickness. I don't think everyone enjoys wearing thick armor over their body and that's one thing most vintage jackets don't feel like and yet they have surived all those years.

Well the fact is that most of these vintage mint condition jackets survived because they weren't really worn all too much. The jacket above is a good example. It's old but it hasn't really seen that much use, by the looks of it. Maybe for a few years after it was bought but that's it. As much as I like looking at all those vintage jackets, I would always much rather own a repro because after sitting in some closet for 50 years, you won't be wrong to assume your vintage leather jacket is going to start falling apart on you sooner rather than later. And I could never relax and enjoy wearing it with that in mind.

Just because some people falsely advertise jacket as mint doesn't mean that jacket is not in mint condition. You could ask for a repro but nothing beats the real deal, If I can have the same jacket in wearable condition being it vintage or modern I'll have the vintage one every single day.

What is better leather? Because you can't beat 70 year old leather in good condition. As much as people are trying to, you don't get the same feeling, tannery procedures were different as were the animals.

Most modern leathers used for jackets sure aren't better in terms of wearability because of it's weight and it's thickness. I don't think everyone enjoys wearing thick armor over their body and that's one thing most vintage jackets don't feel like and yet they have surived all those years.
Of course a repro need not be built in heavy leather. Cotton has a lifespan and it's holding these things together. It decomposes and a jacket, regardless of the leathers condition or quality, is no stronger than it's weakest link, which is the supporting material, keeping it from being just cut up pieces of animal skin.
To me the repro is more desirable because it's painstakingly handcrafted (many/most originals were not, such as Sears and Penny's, Wards etc). The repro has a warranty against failure and defect as well. Buying into mystique certainly has its market. It's a sellers market to be sure. ;)

Well the fact is that most of these vintage mint condition jackets survived because they weren't really worn all too much. The jacket above is a good example. It's old but it hasn't really seen that much use, by the looks of it. Maybe for a few years after it was bought but that's it. As much as I like looking at all those vintage jackets, I would always much rather own a repro because after sitting in some closet for 50 years, you won't be wrong to assume your vintage leather jacket is going to start falling apart on you sooner rather than later. And I could never relax and enjoy wearing it with that in mind.
Exactly. Reminds me of the Hercules Barnstormer I paid a mint for and listened to stitches pop every single time I bent my arms. The leather was beautiful, gorgeous full mouton shawl collar and the sheepskin liner was as dry as mouth full of sand. Heartbreaking. It literally fell apart in my arms and had I just laid it flat and never worn it, it would still look as good as it did the day it was made.

^ This! I've had one jacket like that too, each time I took it off, I noticed something else has ripped, snapped, etc. After a while, I just threw it into a closet and couldn't even stand looking at it, even though it was technically still wearable. That jacket made me give up on the true vintage stuff. No, thank you. If I can't wear the jacket, I really have no use of it regardless of how legendary it may be.

And yeah, people are paying so much money for these jackets and it's literally just mall stuff. OTR. One size fits... many. And TBH, when it comes to workmanship, hardly any original I've seen can compare with the repros which are so well made it's not even funny...

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
My apologies, I mis read it as " As I plotted another [purchase], bought it" and thought you had snatched it up all the while planning another acquisition.

I owned it in my mind, it was sold while I was looking for the money, but yes I do think that Way! lol

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Wouldn't lament too hard TM. By my count you have a good 15 jackets that make this one look pretty darn average!

Yes, I've got a lot nice Jackets, but not this one. The particular Hercules has been the inspiration for more than just me. Doesn't it deserve a little Status?

I guess I look at this and think Alan could repro it stitch for stitch for less than half and in (arguably) better leather and then struggle to understand why anyone would pay the full boat. I know there's the mystique thing going on but still. Nope. Too many advertised as mint vintage jackets that turn up fragile and meant to be framed, not worn.

I've owned a Johnson Hercules, Aero Hercules, still own the BK Hercules and GW Imperial. Each is nice. Why not the Original?

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

Well said.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran