Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are prices for Vintage Leather jackets getting a bit insane?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Shocking. Ken C sold his original Aero for a fraction of the price and it was in similar condition. Just unbelievable what people think is a reasonable price for a jacket.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
But if you're doing your research, you'd immediately suss that this was an exorbitant amount of money for a jacket and that a similar one could be had for a fraction of the price. Yes, there'll be some decadent types who don't care, but I reckon that will sit and sit.

But... What baffles me is that they obviously know what this jacket is, they know Aero is still in business since they recommend getting in touch with them 'cause of the zipper. They know it's oil pull... I mean, technically, the listing is not a complete BS so why in God's name do they think anyone is going to buy it for this much money? Plus eBay is showing at least three more exact same jackets in the similar items list!

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
What crazy is that the sellers claim "We are not experts..." but yet they clearly do know quite a bit about it. More suprising is the way they over-state so much, try to make it something it's not, etc.

It's nice looking but for crying out loud, this isn't a 1943 Original WWII A2 jacket. Even if it were, it might sell for 1/3 or even 1/4 of that price.

But if you're doing your research, you'd immediately suss that this was an exorbitant amount of money for a jacket and that a similar one could be had for a fraction of the price. Yes, there'll be some decadent types who don't care, but I reckon that will sit and sit.
Excuuuuuse me. Didn't you see the pic of Harrison Ford in there? This is legit. Someone grab it fast!

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Excuuuuuse me. Didn't you see the pic of Harrison Ford in there? This is legit. Someone grab it fast!
I thought that was the most amusing part of the listing. Anyone with eyes can see the Indiana Jones jacket is NOT an A2, as it lacks knits. It's style derives from the A2, there's little doubt, but it's not an A2. And this one does happen to be a remarkably similar color to the Indy jacket in the photos. But if you can't be bothered to notice that the movie jacket lacks knits, then perhaps your eye isn't sophisticated enough to appreciate the difference between a $8K jacket and a $150 mall jacket imitation.

Last edited:

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The repeated comparison to Harrison Ford’s Indy jacket, including the photograph, is particularly amusing given that it is an entirely different model. The next time I sell a café racer, I am going to insert a photo of Steve McQueen wearing his Great Escape A2, and draw inapposite comparisons.

“Worthy to be used in any HOLLYWOOD movie!” The same could be said for most of the jackets owned by Monitor, CaseChopper, Mystero, Aswatland, Ton, Sloan, ProteinNerd, Nick, SpeedRcrX, Worf and countless other TFL members. The next time I sell a jacket, I am going to include the following line: “Worthy of being worn by Neil Armstrong when he first stepped onto the surface of the moon.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran