Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett makes more than just hats!

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Recently I noticed that my VS hats were getting so tight that I had stopped wearing the first three that I bought last year. They fit perfectly when Art sent them to me, but as time went on the sweatbands had shrunk. I didn't know what to do, so I called Art to see if I could begin sending them back to him one at a time to have new sweatbands put into them to replace the originals. He said "Why not just stretch them back out to where they need to be?" I told him I didn't know how to do that, so he told me he'd make a hat block the same circumference as the hat. All I had to do was to put the hats onto the block, bring them down so the bottom of the sweatband was flush with the bottom of the block, then leave it there for a few days and then the hat would fit perfectly again. In a few days the block arrived and I did as instructed. Sure enough, now all of my hats fit perfectly again. It's like suddenly getting several brand new VS hats! I even put my old Stetson Nostalgia onto it for a few days and sure enough now it fits again. Great and easy solution. Well done, Art!

Here's what the block looks like:
DSCN0882.jpg

DSCN0881.jpg

That's really great! It sure seems to be the consensus of postings in the Lounge that this is a n example of how Art always sets the customer service bar a little higher. He is always making sure you're truly satisfied and goes beyond the call of duty.

fmw

One Too Many
I call that customer service beyond the call of duty. Great story.

Lloyd

A-List Customer
I've got 3 custom band blocks now. 2 made by Art and one made from a tracing of my conformer that Art provided. They are the single most used hat accessory that I have. And the fit of a commercial hat after being introduced to the custom block is amazing.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thanks for the post Blackthorn, glad it's working out.
As those of you that are clients already know, during the process of making your hat I always send out conformers so that I can get the fit just right. When they return I trace out the shape & size, then reproduce it via a formillion. For the heads that are too large for the tool, I make wooden "band blocks" for the hat so, it isn't that far a leap to make one for your exact head shape. For my "regulars" I always make one automatically so I can avoid the formillion time.( sometimes extensive) but as long as they stay here in the shop I don't really care what they look like.

The trick for me has been overcoming my lack of tools & talent to make them "professional appearing" so I've been setting myself up to easily make them with quality in mind. They are all cedar, helping with whatever moth problem that may appear. I have a "regular" that requires one for every hat I make even though it's a $35 charge.

TheBeak

One of the Regulars
actually I'd really like the idea of getting one made and I'm not a VS customer (yet).

Art, would you consider sending out a conformer to a not yet hat purchaser for purpose of A) learning ones exact size, and B) getting a custom cedar hat block made up to keep my lesser hats at size?

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
actually I'd really like the idea of getting one made and I'm not a VS customer (yet).

Art, would you consider sending out a conformer to a not yet hat purchaser for purpose of A) learning ones exact size, and B) getting a custom cedar hat block made up to keep my lesser hats at size?

Sure Beak, I would just require my normal deposit then refund the balance after it's done. That way we will also already have your conform on file.

marshack

New in Town
I can vouch for these things as well. I have a 7 3/4 extra long oval head. With out Art's device (and his custom hat work) hats just don't fit my head right.... Thanks Art

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou