Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eliesti

A-List Customer
Does anyone know if it is possible to convert a standard fedora into a homburg? I have a black Borsalino Trionfo with a nearly 4 inch brim. Thanks to some suggestions here, I am planning to take it to have the brim trimmed down to 2.25 or 2.5 inches. I am wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to turn the hat into a homburg since I have so much brim to work with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone know if it is possible to convert a standard fedora into a homburg? I have a black Borsalino Trionfo with a nearly 4 inch brim. Thanks to some suggestions here, I am planning to take it to have the brim trimmed down to 2.25 or 2.5 inches. I am wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to turn the hat into a homburg since I have so much brim to work with?

Yes figure on 3 inches. Reflange. Nice deep homburg curl with a finished brim.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab

Boy the Curl on a Hommie takes up a lot of brim . First I'd look at mmbarnes *Matt's , and Bob Roberts' , also bamaboots' latest , its a Hommie . The wider Brim Homburgs to me look much better , like a Dobbs I saw a month or two ago on the bay , Bama's looks almost exactly like it . Check out Steve's , too , he has all kinds . Still don't know for sure its possible , but it probably is . But you could contact a Hatter that does conversions , and ask . He may advise just playing safe with a 2 3/4" Brim Fedora , or he may tackle it . bond had one for sale not too long ago that was perfect to me , Homburg that is . And he does a great job . His Etsy Shop (as RJR said) is https://www.etsy.com/shop/finevintagefedoras?ref=pr_faveshops , he's Scott . I didn't know it was the same person , don't know where I got that he was in FL unless I was thinking of DOGMAN , and got crossed up . I knew Scott was in Madison WI at FineVintageFedoras on Etsy . Here's Bama's ...
image-jpeg.53420
Here's one of Matt's
37dca874addd64d80d25e71209fb809e.jpg
But he has another that knocks my socks off , it Brown , too .

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Boy the Curl on a Hommie takes up a lot of brim . First I'd look at mmbarnes *Matt's , and Bob Roberts' , also bamaboots' latest , its a Hommie . The wider Brim Homburgs to me look much better , like a Dobbs I saw a month or two ago on the bay , Bama's looks almost exactly like it . Check out Steve's , too , he has all kinds . Still don't know for sure its possible , but it probably is . But you could contact a Hatter that does conversions , and ask . He may advise just playing safe with a 2 3/4" Brim Fedora , or he may tackle it . bond had one for sale not too long ago that was perfect to me , Homburg that is . And he does a great job . His Etsy Shop (as RJR said) is https://www.etsy.com/shop/finevintagefedoras?ref=pr_faveshops , he's Scott . I didn't know it was the same person , don't know where I got that he was in FL unless I was thinking of DOGMAN , and got crossed up . I knew Scott was in Madison WI at FineVintageFedoras on Etsy . Here's Bama's ...
image-jpeg.53420
Here's one of Matt's
37dca874addd64d80d25e71209fb809e.jpg
But he has another that knocks my socks off , it Brown , too .
Yes. I agree wider brim Homburgs are what Im liking. 4 inches is probably enuff to begin width but alot depend on actually how deep you want it flanged as well as the length of the finished brim.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Yes. I agree wider brim Homburgs are what Im liking. 4 inches is probably enuff to begin width but alot depend on actually how deep you want it flanged as well as the length of the finished brim.

Bob , You remember that Dobbs on eBay (7 1/4 with the Box), I'm sure . You've got some nice Homburgs , and look great wearing them . Not as easy to find your Posts wearing them as Matt . ;) When he started adding dents , that changed my thoughts Totally , I liked them before , but ... . And I think that one bond had was a 7 3/8 .

Ole said the Curl on a Homburg takes up about an Inch and a half of Brim , I think I remember that . Seems like someone asked this stuff before .

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Bob , You remember that Dobbs on eBay (7 1/4 with the Box), I'm sure . You've got some nice Homburgs , and look great wearing them . Not as easy to find your Posts wearing them as Matt . ;) When he started adding dents , that changed my thoughts Totally , I liked them before , but ... . And I think that one bond had was a 7 3/8 .

Ole said the Curl on a Homburg takes up about an Inch and a half of Brim , I think I remember that . Seems like someone asked this stuff before .
Yes I do remember. Nice one. I wonder who got it. Both Matt and Steve got me so liking pinched homburgs.

Some Random Bloke

New in Town
Can someone tell me what these hats were called? Can't find a full photo, but it's on 12 Years a Slave, when he's in NY or wherever, but I think I saw one on a British period drama. C1840's here. The brim looks like a homby but the top is flat and the crown is not pinched. I could wear a hat like that, pity they don't make them anymore.

12-YEARS-A-SLAVE.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Looks like a square, low, and open-crowned soft felt, but it could be the costume designer's take on a stiff felt Derby. Not a very convincing one, if that's the case. I can't think if there's actually a term for this style. Look for an low-crowned Homburg and see if you can flatten out the block.

Brad
~The Hatted Professor

bobkeenan

Familiar Face
I am purchasing a old fur felt hat that is pretty mashed up. The felt is in great condition but the shape is not. I have a nice garment steamer and a wood hat crown block. And I have removed creases and reshaped crowns successfully. So I know that I can do that on the new hat. But the brim looks a bit more crumpled that I have done before. ON other hats I steam the inside and outside of the brim. I use my hands to pull and reshape the brim with a curve while the hat is upside down. And then I rotate the hat with the brim on a table to even out the brim. Then I set it to dry upside down so gravity can help further with the shape of the birm.

So.... is that a good method? OR....I have also read about other people who use wood brim flanges but I am not sure if that is applicable here and I have found NO youtube videos showing how to use a brim flange.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I am purchasing a old fur felt hat that is pretty mashed up. The felt is in great condition but the shape is not. I have a nice garment steamer and a wood hat crown block. And I have removed creases and reshaped crowns successfully. So I know that I can do that on the new hat. But the brim looks a bit more crumpled that I have done before. ON other hats I steam the inside and outside of the brim. I use my hands to pull and reshape the brim with a curve while the hat is upside down. And then I rotate the hat with the brim on a table to even out the brim. Then I set it to dry upside down so gravity can help further with the shape of the birm.

So.... is that a good method? OR....I have also read about other people who use wood brim flanges but I am not sure if that is applicable here and I have found NO youtube videos showing how to use a brim flange.

This is pretty much the whole thing , shown by Hat Works in Nashville (Gigi Gaskins I think runs it now) ...

Joakim

New in Town
Hi! First post on the forum from a big music fan that has a burgeoning interest in hats. Always been a reggae fan and during the late 70's and earl 80's they had some quite extravagant felt hats that I simply love. Since I can't find them for sale anywhere I've been wanting to get in contact with a hatter. Problem is though that I would like to know a bit more about them. I'm guessing their done in felt but what would the model of the hats be called? Is it simply called a bowler or is the shape named something else?

A picture for reference is attached.

Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• barringtonlevy_lifestyle.jpg
    barringtonlevy_lifestyle.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 186

EstherWeis

Vendor
Hi! First post on the forum from a big music fan that has a burgeoning interest in hats. Always been a reggae fan and during the late 70's and earl 80's they had some quite extravagant felt hats that I simply love. Since I can't find them for sale anywhere I've been wanting to get in contact with a hatter. Problem is though that I would like to know a bit more about them. I'm guessing their done in felt but what would the model of the hats be called? Is it simply called a bowler or is the shape named something else?

Welcome to the lounge!
That looks like a hood with a curled up brim. Easy enough to make.
But! To find a hood like that is not an easy feat at all.
My bet is that when you zoom in very closely it's a knitted base that is then felted to produce a hood.

That's a tough one for sure.
I'd go that route or the alternative is incrusting : invisibly sewing 3 different felts to produce that look.
But your finish will be different...

Check these folks out. Maybe not today, but someday...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR